Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 05:22 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times

Advertisements

God does not compromise with rebellion.sin
Repentance is the turning from self govern to God govern.
Jesus came to provide the Holy Spirit so that those whom love God had the capacity to obey Him.real time.
This relationship is what identifies the believer.Matthew 7:21.22.23.
Obedience can only come of a real time relatrelatio.not academic or intellectual nor traditional.nor self govern.
Blessed is he that hungers and thirsts after righteousness .he will be filled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 06:42 AM

350 posts, read 570,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
You are saying the same thing as I am, except you've expressed it so much better! Well said! I couldn't agree more.

Taking up your cross and following Jesus requires "work." As you said, by selling his posessions, the man would in effect be washed free of his sin of greed and idolatry. Had the young man done what Jesus asked, would his action (work) be the cause of his salvation? NO! Of course not! It would have been because of the shed blood of Jesus, because of His mercy and His grace.

Jesus said, If you love Me, keep My commandments." Lk. 6:46
I wouldn't say "work" per se, but it does require a life change. By accepting Christ, we take on the Holy Spirit. Without the Spirit, we cannot love God or desire to serve him as we are bound by our sinful flesh nature. When we love God, we will be compelled to do "works" that please God, and we will genuinely desire to follow his commandments. At this point we are not following them to earn salvation - as some believe they must - but we are following them because they bring God pleasure and give him glory. Our purpose is to serve our God and reveal his glory through what he enables us to do. Our obedient actions amount to nothing if we are not doing them with the right mind, intent, or spirit.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:59 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,272,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmage View Post
I wouldn't say "work" per se, but it does require a life change. By accepting Christ, we take on the Holy Spirit. Without the Spirit, we cannot love God or desire to serve him as we are bound by our sinful flesh nature. When we love God, we will be compelled to do "works" that please God, and we will genuinely desire to follow his commandments. At this point we are not following them to earn salvation - as some believe they must - but we are following them because they bring God pleasure and give him glory. Our purpose is to serve our God and reveal his glory through what he enables us to do. Our obedient actions amount to nothing if we are not doing them with the right mind, intent, or spirit.
Again, I agree.

I think the word Jesus uses repeatedly is "obey." He doesn't use the term "works."

I do not understand how anyone can say we can inherit eternal life without obedience when Jesus says the opposite in both the story of the rich young ruler and the story of the expert in the law. In both cases Jesus says that in order to inherit eternal life, you must obey the commandments.

Of course, we will break those commandments from time to time, but we can stop sinning, go to God, confess our sins and ask forgiveness. If we do these things and walk in the light, the blood of Jesus continues to wash our sins away.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
God does not compromise with rebellion.sin
Repentance is the turning from self govern to God govern.
Jesus came to provide the Holy Spirit so that those whom love God had the capacity to obey Him.real time.
This relationship is what identifies the believer.Matthew 7:21.22.23.
Obedience can only come of a real time relatrelatio.not academic or intellectual nor traditional.nor self govern.
Blessed is he that hungers and thirsts after righteousness .he will be filled.
How does one turn to God without turning away from sin?

Old 05-19-2015, 08:12 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
People who "truly believe" still sin. Some commit adultery. Some steal. Some murder. Paul says wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom ofheaven.

1 Cor. 6:9
Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men

Unless they stop sinning and confess their sins, the blood of Jesus does not forgive. They must walk in the light.

1John 1
6*If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

7*But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

8*If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9*If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10*If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
Inheriting the kingdom of heaven is quite a lot different from being saved for eonian/age-during life.
The **kingdom** of heaven one will not have an allotment in is the administration of God's home rules. But eonian life cannot be lost due to our actions since it is gratuitously given. We did nothing to earn it and can do nothing to lose it and in FACT, the one who merely believes God that Christ died for our sins, was entombed and roused the third day IS SEALED with the holy spirit for the day of deliverance. No one has been successful in breaking that seal. Not even the Corinthian boy caught having sex with his father's wife.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:14 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Again, I agree.

I think the word Jesus uses repeatedly is "obey." He doesn't use the term "works."

I do not understand how anyone can say we can inherit eternal life without obedience when Jesus says the opposite in both the story of the rich young ruler and the story of the expert in the law. In both cases Jesus says that in order to inherit eternal life, you must obey the commandments.

Of course, we will break those commandments from time to time, but we can stop sinning, go to God, confess our sins and ask forgiveness. If we do these things and walk in the light, the blood of Jesus continues to wash our sins away.
Jesus and obedience has to do with Israel.

Jesus sent Paul as the apostle of the nations and told Paul to tell the nations we are saved by faith, not by works and certainly we are not saved by obeying Christ's commands to Israel who are termed Circumcision while the nations are termed Uncircumcision.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:11 AM

350 posts, read 570,365 times
Quote:
Again, I agree.

Yep, I agree with this also. However, I would say we are saved/justified by repentance and continued faith in Christ, not by following God's commandments. As the Spirit grows within in us, we are compelled by it to do God's work and to serve him, rejecting our sinful flesh. Like you said, from time to time we stumble and need to ask for forgiveness, but we could not even acknowledge that without the conviction and discernment of the Holy Spirit. I believe that someone who truly has faith in God and loves him will want to do more and more good, but we aren't required to do it, and don't risk losing salvation for not doing it.

I think Jesus reiterates that we can achieve eternal life by adhering to the commandments, because it's true that we can be perfect before God if we follow the commandments to the letter and never stray, as Christ did. Yet, since that is impossible for anyone but Jesus, Christ also warns that we must follow him - as the perfect, living sacrifice that covers all sin - if we ever hope to attain life. I don't think he realistically means for us to follow the commandments to achieve anything, because God knows we can't and sent Jesus to do it for us. That's where people seem to be getting confused in this thread.

Last edited by Dopefish; 05-19-2015 at 09:23 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmage View Post
Yep, I agree with this also. However, I would say we are saved/justified by repentance and continued faith in Christ, not by following God's commandments. As the Spirit grows within in us, we are compelled by it to do God's work and to serve him, rejecting our sinful flesh. Like you said, from time to time we stumble and need to ask for forgiveness, but we could not even acknowledge that without the conviction and discernment of the Holy Spirit. I believe that someone who truly has faith in God and loves him will want to do more and more good, but we aren't required to do it, and don't risk losing salvation for not doing it.

I think Jesus reiterates that we can achieve eternal life by adhering to the commandments, because it's true that we can be perfect before God if we follow the commandments to the letter and never stray, as Christ did. Yet, since that is impossible for anyone but Jesus, Christ also warns that we must follow him - as the perfect, living sacrifice that covers all sin - if we ever hope to attain life. I don't think he realistically means for us to follow the commandments to achieve anything, because God knows we can't and sent Jesus to do it for us. That's where people seem to be getting confused in this thread.
Well, here's where we part company. Imho, the Bible does not teach OSAS. But that's not the topic of this thread, so I'll leave it at for another time. .

Old 05-19-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Jesus and obedience has to do with Israel.

Jesus sent Paul as the apostle of the nations and told Paul to tell the nations we are saved by faith, not by works and certainly we are not saved by obeying Christ's commands to Israel who are termed Circumcision while the nations are termed Uncircumcision.
So you think Jesus and Paul preached a different message? Hmmmm....

Old 05-19-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Inheriting the kingdom of heaven is quite a lot different from being saved for eonian/age-during life.
The **kingdom** of heaven one will not have an allotment in is the administration of God's home rules. But eonian life cannot be lost due to our actions since it is gratuitously given. We did nothing to earn it and can do nothing to lose it and in FACT, the one who merely believes God that Christ died for our sins, was entombed and roused the third day IS SEALED with the holy spirit for the day of deliverance. No one has been successful in breaking that seal. Not even the Corinthian boy caught having sex with his father's wife.
Please prove with Scripture that inheriting the kingdom or inheriting eternal life isn't the same as being saved. Both the rich young ruler and the expert in the law asked Jesus what they must do to inherit or obtain eternal life. Weren't they asking what they must do to be saved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity