Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 04:50 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,308,888 times

Advertisements

If G-d did not intervene...

...then grief would persist, then our pain would not subside, then our memories of loved ones would not change, then we would not move on. As was mentioned, if we didn't know grief, we wouldn't know joy. Or should we just feel nothing or have a void, when someone passed away? I will take my grief because it affirms my humanity. Our strength comes from suffering or are the bitterest victories won simply?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 08:27 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Ashley, I believe Paul is referring to dead people, when he says "those that sleep". In another passage, he says, "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord".
This is why I think our souls go straight to heaven when we die, I don't think our souls sleep in the grave.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
If G-d did not intervene...

...then grief would persist, then our pain would not subside, then our memories of loved ones would not change, then we would not move on. As was mentioned, if we didn't know grief, we wouldn't know joy. Or should we just feel nothing or have a void, when someone passed away? I will take my grief because it affirms my humanity. Our strength comes from suffering or are the bitterest victories won simply?
I understand that grief might be necessary, and it is part of life. It helps us grow and realize just what is important in life.

The thing is that we would still have grief, but if we could at least know where our loved ones are and have some sort of proof that they are okay and we will see them again, it would make life less stressful. It is the mystery that makes things so bad. The grief of losing them would still be there, but knowing for sure they are okay and will be with us again would help us go on. Four years ago a family member was going away to college. We were always used to being able to see each other often, and when she came to see me the night before she left I was very sad because it was like I was losing her in a way. I was grieving her going away, but what made it better was knowing where she was going, that she was going to be okay, and that I will see her again in the future. This allowed me to go on with my life, even if I was sad and missed her dearly, I was able to be okay because there was no mystery about where she was. I didn't have to stay awake all night wondering and worrying about her. This is how I wish it was when we lose a loved one that dies. I wish there was no mystery, and God could be kind enough to help us go on by letting us know what happens to them and where they are. We would still miss them, experience grief and sadness, but we would not have to stress and worry for the rest of our lives wondering. Right before people pass away they talk about their deceased loved ones coming to get them, so it is possible to see them from the other side, why we have to wait until our deathbed for that to happen is a mystery to me. To be honest, it seems very cruel that God would do this to us.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:52 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Not all people grieve the same or have the same concerns about death ... although we will all die. I've conducted and also attended many 'homegoing celebrations' for Christians ... and also some funerals for non-Christians. I can assure you that there is a significant difference!

Sure, Christians miss their loved ones, but, we have a certainty and assurance of seeing them again. The promises of God to His faithful followers regarding death in this life are uplifting and filled with hope. Ask someone to help you pull some of these out; they may help you with your current dilemma. A couple that come to mind:

"“For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” (Phil. 1:21)

"25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26 and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?” (John 11:25-26)

"When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory." - The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." (I Cor 15:54-56)

"He will swallow up death forever! The Sovereign LORD will wipe away all tears. He will remove forever all insults and mockery against his land and people. The LORD has spoken!" (Is. 25:8)

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life." (John 5:24).

"My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?" (John 14:2)

Quite simply, the promises of eternal life after this one go on and on and on. -- Don't be robbed of joy and the abundant life (even in death) --- See what Christ has in store for faithful believers!

Old 05-23-2015, 09:00 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,857 times
To Everything There is a Season
3A time to kill and a time to heal; A time to tear down and a time to build up. 4A time to weep and a time to laugh; A time to mourn and a time to dance. 5A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones; A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing.…

Old 05-23-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Not all people grieve the same or have the same concerns about death ... although we will all die. I've conducted and also attended many 'homegoing celebrations' for Christians ... and also some funerals for non-Christians. I can assure you that there is a significant difference!

Sure, Christians miss their loved ones, but, we have a certainty and assurance of seeing them again. The promises of God to His faithful followers regarding death in this life are uplifting and filled with hope. Ask someone to help you pull some of these out; they may help you with your current dilemma. A couple that come to mind:
Yes, thank you. I have noticed that some people seem to have no doubts at all about the afterlife, and when their loved ones pass, they know that they will see them again, so it is easier for them to go on. I have heard too many wonderful stories of people having experiences that prove we do see our loved ones again, and that they are waiting for us in heaven, but I admit that I would like to see more concrete proof from God. I guess that is selfish of me to think I am owed any kind of proof, but I think a lot of people feel this way. I see people who have lost loved ones talk about how they wish for a sign all the time. There are people who spend a lot of money to go to a fake medium just to get a message from their loved ones because they are so desperate to know their loved ones are okay, and I wish people would not have to do that. I was on a medium's facebook page, and so many people are just looking for an answer, and because God for some reason can not show us more proof, these people are looking for answers from someone who claims to talk to the dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
To Everything There is a Season
…3A time to kill and a time to heal; A time to tear down and a time to build up. 4A time to weep and a time to laugh; A time to mourn and a time to dance. 5A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones; A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing.…
Thank you. This is a very good passage.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:36 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I understand that grief might be necessary, and it is part of life. It helps us grow and realize just what is important in life.

The thing is that we would still have grief, but if we could at least know where our loved ones are and have some sort of proof that they are okay and we will see them again, it would make life less stressful. It is the mystery that makes things so bad. The grief of losing them would still be there, but knowing for sure they are okay and will be with us again would help us go on. Four years ago a family member was going away to college. We were always used to being able to see each other often, and when she came to see me the night before she left I was very sad because it was like I was losing her in a way. I was grieving her going away, but what made it better was knowing where she was going, that she was going to be okay, and that I will see her again in the future. This allowed me to go on with my life, even if I was sad and missed her dearly, I was able to be okay because there was no mystery about where she was. I didn't have to stay awake all night wondering and worrying about her. This is how I wish it was when we lose a loved one that dies. I wish there was no mystery, and God could be kind enough to help us go on by letting us know what happens to them and where they are. We would still miss them, experience grief and sadness, but we would not have to stress and worry for the rest of our lives wondering. Right before people pass away they talk about their deceased loved ones coming to get them, so it is possible to see them from the other side, why we have to wait until our deathbed for that to happen is a mystery to me. To be honest, it seems very cruel that God would do this to us.
ETA~~ BBM~~
I don't think you do realize nor understand as you would never have asked the question to begin with~~

Your actual question by Thread title asking "What is the Point of Grief" kinda of made feel sorry for you on some level..No one can feel grief IF one has not sense of loss..To sense that loss one must feel connected to something other than oneself..I think you are maybe understanding where I am going with this now..

IF you don't want feel grief..Pity for You..If you FEEL it reminds you there's a loss of a loved one..miss their connection and treasures their memory...The length of grieving Periods vary ( never ending really) but the only way to move forward is to accept it..maintain the memories and work to validate those memories....

The Above question about why would GOD even allow such a thing..as IF grief is some sort of thing un-necesssary..once again makes me sad to even question such a thing...

IF a Sociopath/psychopath or anyone who has no ability to feel much less care about another is the way you wish things should be...just look what carnage such types inflict on others. They don't care much less grieve ..whether it's their parents, wife, children or strangers...It's like killing to feed their own self indulgent agenda...Pretty shallow way to wish on anyone...

If you or anyone Feel's ( key word) then you know you are actually part of the greater world of "Humanity"..and that in of itself is a Blessing..because it reminds us there's more to life than just ourselves

Old 05-23-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
ETA~~ BBM~~
I don't think you do realize nor understand as you would never have asked the question to begin with~~

Your actual question by Thread title asking "What is the Point of Grief" kinda of made feel sorry for you on some level..No one can feel grief IF one has not sense of loss..To sense that loss one must feel connected to something other than oneself..I think you are maybe understanding where I am going with this now..

IF you don't want feel grief..Pity for You..If you FEEL it reminds you there's a loss of a loved one..miss their connection and treasures their memory...The length of grieving Periods vary ( never ending really) but the only way to move forward is to accept it..maintain the memories and work to validate those memories....

The Above question about why would GOD even allow such a thing..as IF grief is some sort of thing un-necesssary..once again makes me sad to even question such a thing...

IF a Sociopath/psychopath or anyone who has no ability to feel much less care about another is the way you wish things should be...just look what carnage such types inflict on others. They don't care much less grieve ..whether it's their parents, wife, children or strangers...It's like killing to feed their own self indulgent agenda...Pretty shallow way to wish on anyone...

If you or anyone Feel's ( key word) then you know you are actually part of the greater world of "Humanity"..and that in of itself is a Blessing..because it reminds us there's more to life than just ourselves
Yes, I should have worded it differently. I know there will always be grief, and it is normal and part of life. It can help us grow and it connects us to others. What I meant is the uncertainty that comes with losing loved ones. The not knowing. If we knew what happens after we die, if he had proof our loved ones were gone from the earth but okay and we would see them again, we would still miss them and grieve their absence, but the uncertainly would not kill us.

I have been reading sites for people who have lost loved ones, I have been checking out the facebook pages of mediums, and it is heartbreaking to see so much pain. People are desperate to know. It is painful enough to lose a loved one, but there is no reason for someone to have to wonder if that loved one is okay. Knowing about their well being would not take away from the pain you feel when a loved one dies. A mother would not stop grieving about her dead child if she could have some sort of proof that child was okay in heaven. She would still be in pain, but at least she would not have to go to a medium that pretends they talk to dead people to get a message from her baby. I see a lot of this on these facebook pages of mediums. People stop living their lives because all they can do is wonder if the person that died is okay. To me that is cruel for a God to do. Give these people a sign, give them some hope, don't leave them suffering unable to go on with their life. I just read a post (not on this forum) from a mother who just lost her young child a few days ago, and she is going crazy trying to find someone that can give her a message from her son to know that he is okay. There is nothing to gain from this kind of misery this mother is going through. I don't think you need to have to go through this in order to be able to feel joy and learn what pain is and be part of humanity. I have never lost a human child, and can not imagine the pain these parents go through when their child dies. I wish these parents could know for sure their babies are okay. I'm sorry, but it makes me sad and angry when I see people in so much pain.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:33 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
We all want our loved ones to be OK. But them being OK is primarily in their own hands as to how they lived their life.
We can sure and we must, pray for them as God is merciful.

Everyone is responsible for their own actions in this very short life which is spent in blink of an eye. So worry about yourself together with being worried about the welfare of your loved ones.

The Boston bomber is on a death row - his loved ones would also wish for him being OK - do u think he should be placed in an OK state after he dies?

So is the case with Hitler and Ariel Sharon. Their loved ones would want them to be OK, no?

Old 05-23-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
We all want our loved ones to be OK. But them being OK is primarily in their own hands as to how they lived their life.
We can sure and we must, pray for them as God is merciful.

Everyone is responsible for their own actions in this very short life which is spent in blink of an eye. So worry about yourself together with being worried about the welfare of your loved ones.

The Boston bomber is on a death row - his loved ones would also wish for him being OK - do u think he should be placed in an OK state after he dies?

So is the case with Hitler and Ariel Sharon. Their loved ones would want them to be OK, no?
I was thinking more about people like the couple that I know that lost their baby last year. The baby was born and died a week later. They are still in so much pain. Sure, they can read the Bible, talk to a priest or pay a medium to tell them the baby is okay and enjoying heaven, but I think if they had some kind of better proof that their child is still okay then that might make life easier for them to live. They would still be in pain and still grieve that their baby was taken from them so soon, but they would not have to go on for the rest of their lives wondering. There is a reason that so many mediums who deal with people that have lost a loved one also have phone numbers to suicide hotlines and counselors on their websites. Death, sickness and pain are a part of life and I understand that, but there are some things that God could do to help but he does not.

Through online I have gotten to also know a mother who lost her child to a very brutal murder. This woman is very religious, and believes that when we die we go to heaven. Some might say that she should know then that her child is okay, but how could this mother not want some kind of definite sign or proof? I feel bad because she has become obsessed with these psychics, and even though it is against her religion, she thinks they can and do give her messages from her daughter. I don't have the heart to tell her that these mediums are probably not really communicating with her daughter, so I say nothing about it. Someone actually did say something like that to her, and it made her mad because she said that is the only thing that gives her hope. She has prayed to get some personal sign from her daughter, and there have been none, so she goes and listens to these mediums tell her what she wants to hear. Surely, our loving God could make that happen for her. I have never met this woman, but my heart breaks for her, and I think she is having a nervous breakdown. I don't believe that what she is going through is necessary at all.

Last edited by ashleynj; 05-24-2015 at 12:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity