Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 12:01 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,343 times

Advertisements

I do believe in a loving God, and I don't blame God for the bad things that happen, but I guess I just don't get why he can't comfort us when they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 12:06 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I do believe in a loving God, and I don't blame God for the bad things that happen, but I guess I just don't get why he can't comfort us when they do.
That's not exactly what you're asking though, ashley. You are asking why God can't (i.e. won't) comfort us in a very specific way -- by giving us incontestable proof that our loved ones are "okay" in the way that you want them to be okay. I'm not saying your desire is wrong, only that you're narrowing the possibilities in the way in which comfort can be received.

Our family has recently experienced the loss of someone very dear and important to us. We've received comfort in many ways, from many sources.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:13 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,030 times
Quote:
Thank you, both.

jimmiej, yes, it seems that the Bible talks about us sleeping until Jesus returns. This is something I was never taught. I was told growing up that our souls go to heaven right when we die. To me it is nicer to think that we go to heaven when we die rather than sleeping in our graves for many years.

I also wish that we didn't have to read the Bible or think about seeking out mediums like so many people do to find out about what comes after this life. It would be nice if we could all see a glimpse of this place we go to before we actually go there. It shouldn't be like this big mystery where everyone has their own idea of what it is. If I was planning on moving after I retire I would want to know everything about the place before I moved there, and this is how it should be about the afterlife. When a loved ones moves we may miss them, but just knowing where they are and that they are okay and even getting to talk to them on the phone makes it easier, so why not let us have that with those that die. The only reason I could think of that God would keep us from knowing is that if we found out just how perfect heaven is, people would try to go there before their time is up here.
God conceals from men the happiness of death that they may endure life.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
That's not exactly what you're asking though, ashley. You are asking why God can't (i.e. won't) comfort us in a very specific way -- by giving us incontestable proof that our loved ones are "okay" in the way that you want them to be okay. I'm not saying your desire is wrong, only that you're narrowing the possibilities in the way in which comfort can be received.

Our family has recently experienced the loss of someone very dear and important to us. We've received comfort in many ways, from many sources.
You're right, I guess I do want God to do things a certain way for me to bring me comfort. There are many others though that would want the same exact thing I do. Even if it was just for me, and I needed a certain thing to bring me comfort, I don't see why God would not provide it. If I had a child I would know that I can't protect them from the world, but I would try to comfort them in any way possible if they needed it.

The last month I was trying to see if I could find any proof that mediums actually do what they do. I was reading websites, watching videos, and checking out facebook pages of certain mediums. I have not found any proof yet that any mediums can actually contact dead people, but I did discover something else. I found that there are so many people that have lost loved ones who turn to mediums in order to get messages from their loved ones. These people need these messages to go on, they need to know their loved ones are okay. They say that after they had a medium contact their loved ones, they could finally go on living. So I thought that maybe it would be better if God could provide this, since it is something many people seem to need, instead of people going to a fake medium and hearing some made up fake stuff that costs them money.

o.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
God conceals from men the happiness of death that they may endure life.
That is quite possible. Perhaps some might not go through with this life until the end, if they knew for certain that there was something better after this.

I do hope though that our lives are also meant to be enjoyed. I don't want to just endure life, I also want to enjoy it.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:22 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
You're right, I guess I do want God to do things a certain way for me to bring me comfort. There are many others though that would want the same exact thing I do.
Count me among them.

Quote:
Even if it was just for me, and I needed a certain thing to bring me comfort, I don't see why God would not provide it. If I had a child I would know that I can't protect them from the world, but I would try to comfort them in any way possible if they needed it.
Well, that's the thing ... If God CAN'T then God CAN'T. End of conversation, in that case. If God COULD but won't ... it's pure speculation as to why. If one believes God is love (as you and I do) then we've got to either assume God can't or has a loving reason for not doing so. I, personally, go with the first option.

Quote:
The last month I was trying to see if I could find any proof that mediums actually do what they do. I was reading websites, watching videos, and checking out facebook pages of certain mediums. I have not found any proof yet that any mediums can actually contact dead people, but I did discover something else. I found that there are so many people that have lost loved ones who turn to mediums in order to get messages from their loved ones. These people need these messages to go on, they need to know their loved ones are okay. They say that after they had a medium contact their loved ones, they could finally go on living. So I thought that maybe it would be better if God could provide this, since it is something many people seem to need, instead of people going to a fake medium and hearing some made up fake stuff that costs them money.
Well, how do you know that mediums are not God's way of providing it? How do you know they are fake? And how do you know that not everyone has the potential to be contacted by their loved ones who have passed on, to be their own medium, essentially?

Old 05-26-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Count me among them.

Well, that's the thing ... If God CAN'T then God CAN'T. End of conversation, in that case. If God COULD but won't ... it's pure speculation as to why. If one believes God is love (as you and I do) then we've got to either assume God can't or has a loving reason for not doing so. I, personally, go with the first option.

Well, how do you know that mediums are not God's way of providing it? How do you know they are fake? And how do you know that not everyone has the potential to be contacted by their loved ones who have passed on, to be their own medium, essentially?
I understand what you're saying. I would choose the option that God can but has a good reason not to

I think it is more possible to be your own medium than get any real messages from the ones that charge and pretend they are. I just have not seen any proof that these people that say they are can actually contact loved ones. I could be wrong, but so far I have only seen people who are good con artists.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:37 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
You're right, I guess I do want God to do things a certain way for me to bring me comfort. There are many others though that would want the same exact thing I do. Even if it was just for me, and I needed a certain thing to bring me comfort, I don't see why God would not provide it. If I had a child I would know that I can't protect them from the world, but I would try to comfort them in any way possible if they needed it.
Quote:
Amen, Pleroo. My dear sisters . . . ask yourselves how much a loving Mother can actually DO for her baby while it is in the womb. Surely as a loving Mother she would want to do everything she could to keep her baby safe and healthy. How can anyone see God feeling any differently about His Spiritual children in this physical womb of the earth?

Old 05-26-2015, 07:05 PM

750 posts, read 644,078 times
Quote:
Thank you, both.

jimmiej, yes, it seems that the Bible talks about us sleeping until Jesus returns. This is something I was never taught. I was told growing up that our souls go to heaven right when we die. To me it is nicer to think that we go to heaven when we die rather than sleeping in our graves for many years.

I also wish that we didn't have to read the Bible or think about seeking out mediums like so many people do to find out about what comes after this life. It would be nice if we could all see a glimpse of this place we go to before we actually go there. It shouldn't be like this big mystery where everyone has their own idea of what it is. If I was planning on moving after I retire I would want to know everything about the place before I moved there, and this is how it should be about the afterlife. When a loved ones moves we may miss them, but just knowing where they are and that they are okay and even getting to talk to them on the phone makes it easier, so why not let us have that with those that die. The only reason I could think of that God would keep us from knowing is that if we found out just how perfect heaven is, people would try to go there before their time is up here.
You know how you do not know how long you sleep? You could sleep for 20 minutes or 12 hours and it still seems the same ie time elapsed. Basically, when you fall asleep, the very next thing you realize is becoming awake.

So when you die, it works the same way. You could be asleep for 2 years or 1 million, but it will still be the very next thing you remember. Basically you will be becoming conscious immediately.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
You know how you do not know how long you sleep? You could sleep for 20 minutes or 12 hours and it still seems the same ie time elapsed. Basically, when you fall asleep, the very next thing you realize is becoming awake.

So when you die, it works the same way. You could be asleep for 2 years or 1 million, but it will still be the very next thing you remember. Basically you will be becoming conscious immediately.
Yes, that it true that we would not know how long we were asleep for. I still like the idea that our souls go straight to heaven after we die. I understand many Christians believe our souls sleep, but I have seen passages in the Bible that also support the idea that we go to heaven upon death. Also, even though I can be a big skeptic, I have heard too many stories of people seeing their deceased loved ones and that makes me think our souls go to the other side right after we die. So many people that are on their deathbed talk about how their deceased relatives are there to take them home, it is just hard to ignore this kind of stuff. Sure, they can be hallucinating, but it's odd that so many people would hallucinate the same things. I guess we will know for sure one day.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:54 AM

750 posts, read 644,078 times
As I mentioned we basically do go straight to hell or heaven upon death. When unconscious, time is irrelevant. 1 year could pass or 1 billion and both would feel the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity