Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 11:48 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You simply refuse to understand what veil Christ came to lift over reading the OT. The "blind minds" MEANS ignorance. It was the veil of ignorance over reading the OT that twisted the understanding of God's nature resulting in the absurd and evil anti-Christ "precepts and doctrines of men." It surprises me that you do not see how anti-Christ those "precepts and doctrines" ARE, jimmie. You obviously see a very different Christ from the one I see. I remain amazed that any 21st century mind could EVER accept that our God would EVER require barbaric blood sacrifices of innocents to appease Him. In what twisted universe does that even make any sense whatsoever????
I remain amazed that you dismiss half of what Jesus said, with no authortity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Whether i have a source or not,you are conveniently ignoring that Jesus Christ in a 3 year ministry only quoted the bible a measly 78 times, you are making out that saying it was 33 times as being way off base? Proof again being a fundamentalist that we ignore everything but what we are blinded by.
So, you made it up. As I thought.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I cannot be bothered, because the point i am making is, even if it is 78 times it really is not a lot of times over a 3 year period. Jesus actually did tell us where he spoke from.........he spoke what is father showed him, of cause your fundamentalist will add to that like they always do and say that he spoke what his father showed him in the bible.
"of course"

Luke 4

16 And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up; and as was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath, and stood up to read. 17 And the book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. And He opened the book and found the place where it was written...

This is just too easy.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:13 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
"of course"

Luke 4

16 And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up; and as was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath, and stood up to read. 17 And the book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. And He opened the book and found the place where it was written...

This is just too easy.
You are purposely ignoring the fact that Jesus Christ did not quote the scriptures how you and jj maxx wish he had. The source for the ministry of Jesus Christ according to himself was the Father. I have not checked the exact amount of times he quoted them but for arguments sake, lets say it was 78 times, you have to be totally unreasonable to suggest that is a lot of times in a 3 year ministry. If a preacher quoted the bible only 78 times in church over a 3 year period he would no doubt be shown the door.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
So, you made it up. As I thought.
No i didn't and not once did i say it was 33 times,

Quote:
Can you prove this? 78 times in 3 years is nota lot, i ain't no fundamentalist and i quote it more than that in a week. Actually, i am sure i have read it was 33 times that he quoted them, which to me sounds right
Can you provide the source that it was 78 times ?

Old 05-24-2015, 04:27 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
The Old Testament sits in front of us for our learning. There are many lessons in the OT that we need to absorb.

Many teachings found in the NT, are also found in the OT.

Love did not originate in the NT.

Just last week, I listened to a teaching about 'comfort'. Job had friends trying to act as comforters. King David had many counselors who try to render comfort, in Psalms David speaks often of his counselors. In Jesus we see Him giving comfort many times. Then He tells us that the Father will send another comforter in Christ's name to comfort us. In the NT, we see it explained in detail many times examples of how with Christ working in us we are to comfort each other.

Every lesson of the NT, can be taught first from the OT.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:29 PM

277 posts, read 227,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
In the 3 years I've been at my current church I've preached through NT books only. I reference the OT quite a bit, as the NT does reference it. A few weeks ago though I started preaching through Judges. I'm up to chapter 7 this week and it's my 3rd sermon on Gideon. I have also been teaching through the OT for the past year or so in adult Sunday School. I began with Genesis 1 and have been explaining how the entire Bible is about Jesus.

I do know a few guys from the "Church of Christ" denomination. One just graduated Bible College. He avoids the Old Testament because he feels we live in New Testament times. I believe that's the wrong attitude. The Old Testament tells us about the history of God and man -- about how man fell into sin and God promised a redeemer.
Vizio,

Are you a Pastor or a preacher?

TC

Old 05-25-2015, 11:43 PM

277 posts, read 227,716 times
Quote:
You are purposely ignoring the fact that Jesus Christ did not quote the scriptures how you and jj maxx wish he had. The source for the ministry of Jesus Christ according to himself was the Father. I have not checked the exact amount of times he quoted them but for arguments sake, lets say it was 78 times, you have to be totally unreasonable to suggest that is a lot of times in a 3 year ministry. If a preacher quoted the bible only 78 times in church over a 3 year period he would no doubt be shown the door.
What? You have no idea how many times Jesus quoted from Scripture, because you have no idea how many people or how many times He preached! And to illustrate your lack of knowledge further let us compare your statement with Scripture:

You said; "The source for the ministry of Jesus Christ according to himself was the Father".

Really? That isn't what Jesus said:

Luk 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Luk 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

Everything Jesus taught came from the O/T...

TC

Old 05-26-2015, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Town Crier View Post
What? You have no idea how many times Jesus quoted from Scripture, because you have no idea how many people or how many times He preached! And to illustrate your lack of knowledge further let us compare your statement with Scripture:

You said; "The source for the ministry of Jesus Christ according to himself was the Father".

Luk 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Luk 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

TC
You have no idea what you are talking about.

For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken

How convenient it is that on the one hand you fundamentalists will say everything we need to know is in the scriptures then on the other hand you are using the argument we do not know how many times ? Why ....... because the very scriptures you say contains everything we know as Jesus only quoting the scriptures no more than 78 times in 3 years, which pulls the rug from your image of Jesus being some bible quoting fundy. 78 times in 3 years, no matter what you try and do you cannot make it look like Jesus was a bible preacher.

If everything he spoke was from the scriptures,can you quote where the parables of Jesus are in the OT? Thought not.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Town Crier View Post

TC
You are avoiding the issue, i did not say Jesus did not quote scripture, the verse you are quoting is not saying he quoted everything from the scriptures, the fact of the matter is most of what Jesus taught did not come from the scriptures, you can deny it as much as you want it will not change anything.

If you actually read the scriptures he quoted, a couple were directed at the devil, many were to correct the fundamentalists by the very thing they boasted they trusted in(but obviously didn't) and other times he quoted them in the fulfillment of the reception he received from the fundamentalist, so you can hardly say when he went out preaching it was with an open bible, like you want to believe.

Last edited by pcamps; 05-26-2015 at 04:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity