Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:02 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,874,865 times

Advertisements

We love Joel and his wife as his ministry addresses self improvement ,which convey's hope for established Christians, baby walkers ,fringe believers and even seculars who customarily hate his guts. In spite of being rained on with grief ,a loser mentality, indifference and hopelessness he offers a potential window many ministers segway . Referring to Psalms "righteousness will flourish like a palm". He demonstrates that palms can withstand wind and bending only to become stronger once uprighted. We may experience turbulence and yet able with faith to upright ourselves! Pretty cool message and that God didn't use an oak or cedar but the flexible palm is cool as well.

Last edited by openmike; 05-25-2015 at 08:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 10:02 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,254 times
I simply cannot endorse Joel Osteen in good conscience. His brand of the Gospel is a watered-down, self-help, false theology that capitulates to the middle-American suburban materialist.

Albert Mohler wrote a great article last year regarding the Osteen's Prosperity Theology...

Quote:
Prosperity Theology certainly sells books and draws crowds in the United States, but what does it possibly say to a grieving Christian wife and mother in Iraq? How can it possibly be squared with the actual message of the New Testament? How can any sinner be saved, without a clear presentation of sin, redemption, the cross, the empty tomb, and the call to faith and repentance? Prosperity Theology fails every test, and fails every test miserably. It is a false gospel, and one that must be repudiated, not merely reformatted.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:40 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Joel's message is exactly what Heaven is like and what God wants us to have on the Earth. A world full of prosperity, joy, peace, love, wealth, and hope. I listen to his messages almost everyday.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:43 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Joel's message is exactly what Heaven is like and what God wants us to have on the Earth. A world full of prosperity, joy, peace, love, wealth, and hope. I listen to his messages almost everyday.
Sounds like Joel and Jesus would not get along very well...

Old 05-28-2015, 11:23 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
I'm sorry, but Pastor Osteen and her husband really have done a disservice to Christianity. I read an article a year ago about a Jewish atheist that attended his church, had a great time, and enjoyed it, finding nothing objectionable. While I would NEVER strive to offend anyone in my church, if a Jewish atheist heard me preach, if I said nothing that he would object to, I am not doing my job. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is going to offend some. Telling people they are sinners in need of a savior is offensive.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:56 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
He certainly has the prosperity thing down.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:32 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Many Christians think Joel doesn't preach on sin or judgment enough but but sinners know who he is and are drawn to Jesus through him. Jesus was called the friend of sinners because he didn't condemn them and he went to them to show them love. It's the goodness of God that draws people to repentance.

John 4 is a very good example with the woman at the well. Also the woman caught in adultery.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:11 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,874,865 times
Yeah Joel's salary is around 200k and he has made millions on his books, stadium sermons yet that
doesn't bother me or give me reason to condemn him and his wife for their success considering their
contribution to providing people with hope, overcoming inadequacies, and leveraging off Gods desire for you to attain your potential in life. Not necessarily financial only, but skill level and job satisfaction
Empowering yourself! I'm not a motivational speaker ,but rather a marketing lecturer that give folks the tools for relationship building to improve sales , overcoming objections, seeking key decision makers and accomplishing this in a ethical, friendly, focused manner. Joel and his wife eptimizes all the attributes of a sincere desire to spred the power of God in their walk and within a full filled life .

Old 05-30-2015, 09:20 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Yeah Joel's salary is around 200k and he has made millions on his books, stadium sermons yet that
doesn't bother me or give me reason to condemn him and his wife for their success considering their
contribution to providing people with hope, overcoming inadequacies, and leveraging off Gods desire for you to attain your potential in life. Not necessarily financial only, but skill level and job satisfaction
Empowering yourself! I'm not a motivational speaker ,but rather a marketing lecturer that give folks the tools for relationship building to improve sales , overcoming objections, seeking key decision makers and accomplishing this in a ethical, friendly, focused manner. Joel and his wife eptimizes all the attributes of a sincere desire to spred the power of God in their walk and within a full filled life .
There is nothing wrong with having money. I will condemn him, though, for the fact that he stands up and "preaches" to thousands of people every single week, and doesn't preach the Gospel. He twists the scriptures to communicate a message that people want to hear. He is completely unqualified to be a Christian preacher. He has shown no inkling that he knows what the true Gospel is.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:46 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
He certainly has the prosperity thing down.
yes, he does. I don't think there is anything wrong with having money/doing well and being successful, but for some odd reason I just don't see someone doing God's work living in a huge mansion, especially when there are babies starving to death every day. Was that what Jesus was about and was that what he preached? Maybe he is one of those preachers who thinks heaven is lined with gold and has huge mansions because that is what he finds important in life?

Joel Olsteen is a dude who tells people what they want to hear and profits from it. I guess he's a good business man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity