Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:58 PM
Status: "Without God, life is tragic and absurd." (set 24 days ago)

20,361 posts, read 12,640,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Scapegoat theology will simply not fly. It is foolish to think that punishing a "whipping boy" is in any way shape or form justice. That His death under Law, though innocent in essence, nullifies Law as basis for judgement makes sense. It is not about Law and Justice, under which we stand condemned, but about love and mercy, so that those who live by that standard are granted the mercy that love allows.
Will not fly with who? You? God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 11:07 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,815,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Will not fly with who? You? God?
Anyone with good sense and a working definition of justice.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Anyone with good sense and a working definition of justice.
Does that include God, and if so, how do you know?

Old 05-27-2015, 11:54 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,761,591 times
Jesus never said He would die for anyones sin. He taught how to get into the kingdom of God. He said to follow Him and continue in His word.

"The man who comes to me, hears my word and uses it."

"If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple"

"Anyone who drinks the water I give him shall never become thirsty, the water I give him shall be like a fountain inside him springing up to provide eternal life."

It is written in the prophets the Lord says this;

"Speak the truth to one another, judge righteously and let honesty and peace be at your gates."

"I the Lord speak righteously, I say what is right."

"Do what is right and just", says the Lord.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Jesus never said He would die for anyones sin. He taught how to get into the kingdom of God. He said to follow Him and continue in His word.

"The man who comes to me, hears my word and uses it."

"If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple"

"Anyone who drinks the water I give him shall never become thirsty, the water I give him shall be like a fountain inside him springing up to provide eternal life."

It is written in the prophets the Lord says this;

"Speak the truth to one another, judge righteously and let honesty and peace be at your gates."

"I the Lord speak righteously, I say what is right."

"Do what is right and just", says the Lord.
What did Jesus mean when He said this?

Mark 10:45

"The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

Old 05-28-2015, 06:40 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,044,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
John 15:18-25.
Matthew 4:12

Old 05-28-2015, 08:33 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,761,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What did Jesus mean when He said this?

Mark 10:45

"The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
The son of man's life is the word of God. He gives it to those who accept it and choose to do God's will by spreading it.

"I came so my sheep would have life" (Jesus)

"The words I spoke to you are spirit and life" (Jesus)

Old 05-28-2015, 08:57 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,533,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I totally agree...

He died because the Roman authorities and the Jewish council wanted Jesus dead. He was a political and social trouble-maker in their eyes.
In order to believe that, you must be totally bereft of any factual understanding.
It simply was not the case.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:59 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,533,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
That's how I see it too, pretty much.

I don't think a crucifixion is inspiring at all. It's gory. And the idea that his own father figured it was a good deal is just sadistic and stupid.
Then either you haven't taken the time to understand, or are somehow missing the
part necessary to understand.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:09 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,468,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
How is it foolish? That's a rediculous statement. The entire Scripture states very clearly WHY Jesus died on the cross. It's not even up for debate. I could fill this post with a mountain of Scripture that says as much. My 8 year old son even knows this.
no, it really isn't. There is no way god sent his son to die for our sins. Well literally that is. If we think of it in terms of eating the apple of "ignorance" then yes, he did come to teach us. And a mighty fine teacher he is. despite what some non teachers claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity