Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 04:47 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster_H View Post
I think that's a good thing, I don't have to do nothing! I can do all the dirt I want and I'm still saved! What's not to like...
The problem is when you find out why you want to. You learn.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:03 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
My take on it is that the Jews rejected the Gospel (invitation) and mistreated the messengers (disciples, etc.) so the Gospel (invitation) was extended to all men. The man without proper garments was a false messiah (there were several back then) who was cast out of the feast. The king's army (Romans in 70AD) destroyed those who rejected the Gospel (invitation).
It's a prediction of the destruction of the temple.
Either way it has nothing to do with heaven or salvation. Remember, he is telling this parable to people who were actually listening at that time not people thousands of years later...
I appreciate your tenacity in addressing these issues with the Fundamentalists, Kat. But the "easy believism" adherents will not understand or use any logic or reason. Theirs is an unreasoning credulity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
"When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit"
QED!

Old 06-19-2015, 05:22 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Now you change your story? You clearly separated those that rejected and those that killed. Now it's those that rejected and those that rejected and killed?? You also stated that the ones that simply rejected were thrown into the outer darkness but the verse simply states the city was burned and the murderers destroyed. It was the one with no garment that was thrown outside, into the darkness - not the outer darkness.

Maybe you need to read it more carefully???
No change. I simply repeated what I said before. Some simply rejected, and some others took it a step further and killed the messangers.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:24 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I appreciate your tenacity in addressing these issues with the Fundamentalists, Kat. But the "easy believism" adherents will not understand or use any logic or reason. Theirs is an unreasoning credulity.
QED!
I understand that fundementalist understanding is a form of understanding where you simply refuse to understand. Still... others may find the information compelling.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
You need to read more carefully. The parable does not say those who rejected the invitation were destroyed. It said those who killed the messenger were destroyed. Those who rejected the invitation were thrown in the outer darkness, as were those who did not wear the garment (the seal of salvation).

The seal of salvation is given to us when we believe, not before, and clearly not afterwards (or automatically). The parable makes that very clear. It could also be said he was thrown out because his name was not found in the book of live.

"When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit"
Quote:
Ummm... The ones who rejected the invitation were the same that were beating the messengers.
Quote:
No, some simply rejected, and some rejected and killed the messangers.
Quote:
Now you change your story? You clearly separated those that rejected and those that killed. Now it's those that rejected and those that rejected and killed?? You also stated that the ones that simply rejected were thrown into the outer darkness but the verse simply states the city was burned and the murderers destroyed. It was the one with no garment that was thrown outside, into the darkness - not the outer darkness.

Maybe you need to read it more carefully???
Quote:
No change. I simply repeated what I said before. Some simply rejected, and some others took it a step further and killed the messangers.
No, you actually didn't. You totally misrepresented the parable. No wonder your interpretation is so convoluted!

Also.. messangers is misspelled. Should be messengers.

But back to the OP > The parable does not disprove that all are, in fact, saved.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
QED!
So, you also believe the parable of the wedding is about the destruction of Jerusalem. Well, that makes two of you.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
No, you actually didn't. You totally misrepresented the parable. No wonder your interpretation is so convoluted!

Also.. messangers is misspelled. Should be messengers.

But back to the OP > The parable does not disprove that all are, in fact, saved.
Well, if you say so then it must be so. No explanations necessary, since a typo was found. Cool beans.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
So, you also believe the parable of the wedding is about the destruction of Jerusalem. Well, that makes two of you.
Whether it does or doesn't, you trying to use it to refute universalism is absurd.

The whole wedding custom is based on Jewish culture. Jesus was speaking to Jews.

The invited ones refuse to come and are destroyed.

The uninvited ones stay.

The unclothed ONE is tossed out.

Where in this does it mean what you want it to mean?

Old 06-19-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Well, if you say so then it must be so. No explanations necessary, since a typo was found. Cool beans.
It was a typo that extended over several posts so I was trying to be helpful and yes, I am always right unless I am wrong.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Whether it does or doesn't, you trying to use it to refute universalism is absurd.

The whole wedding custom is based on Jewish culture. Jesus was speaking to Jews.

The invited ones refuse to come and are destroyed.

The uninvited ones stay.

The unclothed ONE is tossed out.

Where in this does it mean what you want it to mean?
For the third time, some simply refused to come:

"But they paid no attention and went off—one to his field, another to his business"

And the others killed the messengers:

"The rest seized his servants, mistreated them and killed them"

And somehow this is all about destruction of Jerusalem to you.......

Well, you are free to believe what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity