Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:59 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times

Advertisements

Is Universalism a threat to Christianity? Christian Universalism states that Jesus/God accomplished the goal of saving all humans from their sin. IOW all people (in the universe) are reconciled with their creator regardless of belief. So God says you are saved so you have no choice but to be saved (simplified version). Isn't that a good thing?

Old 05-28-2015, 10:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Is Universalism a threat to Christianity? Christian Universalism states that Jesus/God accomplished the goal of saving all humans from their sin. IOW all people (in the universe) are reconciled with their creator regardless of belief. So God says you are saved so you have no choice but to be saved (simplified version). Isn't that a good thing?
I've heard of worse.*

*Channeling my inner Jew, I think. Oy vey.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I've heard of worse.*

*Channeling my inner Jew, I think. Oy vey.
Can I second that Oy vey?

Old 05-28-2015, 10:22 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,005 times
Quote:
Whether it's good or bad is irrelevant. What matters is if it's true.

Also, if it isn't true, it will be very, very bad because there will be a lot of people who are very surprised and disappointed when they get to Heaven and Jesus says, 'Depart from me, I never knew you...'

I do not believe it is true for the simple fact that there is no Scriptural evidence for such a doctrine. That being said, this issue will be descended upon by the swarm of UR fanatics that infest this forum.

Prepare yourself, they are coming...

Old 05-28-2015, 10:23 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
It's not a threat in that nothing we say or think will hinder the advancement of God's plan.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Whether it's good or bad is irrelevant. What matters is if it's true.

Also, if it isn't true, it will be very, very bad because there will be a lot of people who are very surprised and disappointed when they get to Heaven and Jesus says, 'Depart from me, I never knew you...'

I do not believe it is true for the simple fact that there is no Scriptural evidence for such a doctrine. That being said, this issue will be descended upon by the swarm of UR fanatics that infest this forum.

Prepare yourself, they are coming...
JJ... No scriptural evidence? Seriously?? (My kids say I use that term too much but in this case it is necessary!)

Scripture says that he will save all men (I assume that includes women & children). Does it not?

Scripture says God does what he says he will do. Does it not?

Do I have to post the scripture?

Old 05-28-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's not a threat in that nothing we say or think will hinder the advancement of God's plan.
But what was/is God's plan... that all men come to him. Do they or don't they?

Old 05-28-2015, 10:40 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
But what was/is God's plan... that all men come to him. Do they or don't they?
Whatever the plan is - it is not up for debate. Our theories won't change anything.

I believe the Bible is clear in that even though God sent Christ to pay for all sins, He allows people to refuse that payment. He has a purpose for those on both sides of the ledger.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:42 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
No, Kat . . . but it IS a threat to organized religion that bases its existence of the need to believe what they teach ABOUT Jesus and God . . . to ACCEPT the salvation Christ accomplished for us all. It is a preposterous claim that completely denies that Christ is our Savior . . . and tries to make our Savior what WE ACCEPT. It is the "sales pirch" for membership. Let's be realistic . . . what role is there for membership in a religion if we are already saved by Christ?

Of course the real answer is fellowship and the sharing of the agape love of Christ . . . where three or more are gathered in His name. But that is not seen as adequate . . . so the "stick" of Hell is thrown into the mix in addition to requiring ACCEPTANCE of their beliefs ABOUT Christ. It is typical human perversity . . . the result of human vanity and hubris..

Old 05-28-2015, 10:45 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,005 times
Quote:
JJ... No scriptural evidence? Seriously?? (My kids say I use that term too much but in this case it is necessary!)

Scripture says that he will save all men (I assume that includes women & children). Does it not?

Scripture says God does what he says he will do. Does it not?

Do I have to post the scripture?
God will save all who choose Him. John 3:16 in action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity