Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 07:51 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,792,518 times

Advertisements

In the OT He says by keeping His commandments we love Him. In the NT Jesus says by keeping His commandments and His word we love Him. So those who think the word of God is not important and loving others is what Jesus taught are incorrect. Jesus showed us how to keep the commandments and God's word that is why He said to follow Him.

Exodus 20:6 NRS

but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.

John 14:21 (NKJV)

He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him."

John 14:23 NRS

Jesus answered him, "Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 07:54 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,641,204 times
How do you love someone you can not talk to, see, touch, or feel.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:55 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,548,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
In the OT He says by keeping His commandments we love Him. In the NT Jesus says by keeping His commandments and His word we love Him. So those who think the word of God is not important and loving others is what Jesus taught are incorrect. Jesus showed us how to keep the commandments and God's word that is why He said to follow Him.

Exodus 20:6 NRS

but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.

John 14:21 (NKJV)

He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him."

John 14:23 NRS

Jesus answered him, "Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.
And what did Jesus command?

Spoiler
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." John 13:34

Old 05-29-2015, 08:15 PM

45,708 posts, read 27,332,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
It can be a challenge.

The Holy Spirit is provided to all who believe in the death, burial, and physical resurrection of Christ. Therefore,

a) God can communicate directly with our spirit.
b) God can use others who have the Holy Spirit who we can see, touch, and feel. It can be a believing spouse or a group of friends. Jesus had the clearest spiritual connection with the Father while on the earth, yet he still had a group that He shared life with.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
You can talk to him. He will talk back if you love Him and keep His word and commandments.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
And what did Jesus command?

Spoiler
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." John 13:34
"As the Father has loved me so I have loved you. Abide in my love. You will abide in my love if you keep my commandments just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in His love." (Jesus)

Old 05-29-2015, 08:57 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,548,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
"As the Father has loved me so I have loved you. Abide in my love. You will abide in my love if you keep my commandments just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in His love." (Jesus)
Mark 12:31 30AND YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH.' 31"The second is this, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' There is no other commandment greater than these."

Those are his father's commandments. Keep them well.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:00 PM

63,951 posts, read 40,245,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Mark 12:31 30AND YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH.' 31"The second is this, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' There is no other commandment greater than these."
Those are his father's commandments. Keep them well.
Amen, Kat . . . but you are dealing with unreasoning credulity and the delusion that he is sent by God like Jesus to "spread the word" . . . i.e., be a preacher. He actually thinks that is what God wants from us . . . to preach words.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It can be a challenge.

The Holy Spirit is provided to all who believe in the death, burial, and physical resurrection of Christ. Therefore,

a) God can communicate directly with our spirit.
b) God can use others who have the Holy Spirit who we can see, touch, and feel. It can be a believing spouse or a group of friends. Jesus had the clearest spiritual connection with the Father while on the earth, yet he still had a group that He shared life with.
Unfortunately there are many who say they are believers but do not do the works of a believer as Jesus said they would.

The spirit of truth, the Holy Spirit is not some kind of a polterguiest. He is another comfortor like Jesus, a member in the son of man who takes from what belongs to the son and declares it so as to teach his followers in everything and remind them of all of Gods word. He is son of man and those who follow Him and keep His commandments will know the truth as Jesus said the son of man would reveal it.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:13 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,952,217 times
Quote:
"Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen."

9'When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' 40"The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.'

7"If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him."

It's just not that hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity