Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 05:45 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,918,265 times

Advertisements

There are various scripture in the Bible that talks about how to deal with individuals in the church when they become out of order in some sort of way, but what I am curious if any of you have ever gotten to the point where you actually had to ex-communicate yourself from a fellow believer? If so what were the circumstances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 05:59 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,052,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
There are various scripture in the Bible that talks about how to deal with individuals in the church when they become out of order in some sort of way, but what I am curious if any of you have ever gotten to the point where you actually had to ex-communicate yourself from a fellow believer? If so what were the circumstances?
Several times..

Once was with a couple who started talking this crazy talk about being God's anointed and chosen to spread the word. They were convinced everyone who did not attend their church was headed for hell.

Also, several months after we started our fellowship, they insisted I trash my satanic NIV and pick up a KJV, as that was the ONLY bible that was approved by God. I had to stop listening to contemporary christian music (Petra, DeGarmo & Key, and even turn away from christian RAP!)
They were on this repentant kick and started praying forgiveness for everything they did. Suddenly they were unable to distinguish between right and wrong and felt everything that was did on the word was a sin!

There were determined to tell everyone they met that if they did not accept Jesus they would burn for all eternity in hell.

It was really sad to watch them spiral into the abyss. When I last saw them, they were alone, literally as they had divorced from each other and found a home in different evangelical Baptist churches--each referring to the other as a heretic and back-sliding christian..

Old 05-31-2015, 06:14 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,579,567 times
I do not believe in excommunicating anyone from my life. I am able to let go with love. I make myself available if there is need.
We learn lessons from every relationship. The trick is to pay attention to the lesson presented to you.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:16 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,282,636 times
The bible is clear that cutting off ties with certain people is required.

I don't agree with the bible.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:52 PM

7,287 posts, read 6,861,356 times
I prefir to agree with God .
When some one is obviously misled, it is important to confront them personally then publically if posible.
Often times though people tend to defend ther position all the more, right or wrong.
The bible is not the end of all God has to say ,thus Jesus provided the Holy spirit to continue teachng in is place.
With out the Holy Spirit men struggle against one another over scriptures, something God had Not intended. obviously.
With in every situation it is impotant to find God's direction in dealing with others.
Just like the the children of Israel comming into the promised land ,each battle was dealt with independently, and when they atmpted to go on ther own, they lost miserably ,did you learn any thing yet ?
When teaching the discipes to pray the last words ar the most important ,"thy will be done".
David said it too " trust in the Lord with ALL your heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding , and in ALL thy ways acknowlede HIM and He shall direct thy path."
Have you been paying attention ?
I have not had to abandon any one ,they rather abandon me.
And a man determined to go the way of drugs rather than God in his life, (having grown up in church) I asked him that," so long as he was going to live that way , tell no one he had been a christian."
Further, that if I were asked about his faith, I would deny he had any relationship.
I would seriously be surprized if he were alive today, the way he choose to go.
He choose to disasocate him self and vigerously pursued the drug culture and turned into a jelly brain.
Remember that Jesus did not chase any one, nor argue others into believing .
If some one is determined to be rebellious let them be . do not throw pearls before swine, (those determined to be unbelieving).
Jesus said it first.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:02 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,168,127 times
Have you ever had to cut ties with a fellow believer?

Only when the person and I ate at Pinnacle Peaks Steakhouse.

http://pinnaclepeaksteakhouse.com/

Old 06-01-2015, 05:31 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,764,499 times
It must happen all the time because the church draws so many people who are in need of spiritual healing.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:57 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,839,994 times
I have never felt the need to not treat another Christian as a brother. However, I have excluded myself from people who I considered false Christians. EG: Man and his gf shacking up but claiming themselves to be Christian.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:00 AM

32,516 posts, read 36,999,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Have you ever had to cut ties with a fellow believer?

Only when the person and I ate at Pinnacle Peaks Steakhouse.

Pinnacle Peak Steakhouse - Home of the Cowboy Steak
Lol. Love that place.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:01 AM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 13 days ago)

14,468 posts, read 9,542,600 times
Having been an elder, yes... I know there are tares among the wheat and there are wolves among the sheep. Having said that... the church is for a sinner as a hospital is for the ill.

Christians shoot way too many of our wounded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity