Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 02:45 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times

Advertisements

Jesus did not teach God compromising with sin, but Paul implies a grace that does.
Repentence is turning from self govern to God govern,
John 15; Works are the fruit of God's govern. Matthew 7;21,,22,23,

Believing is obedience ,
One whom does not believe does not obey.
Believing is not mere thought , it is the resut of Jesus Lordship , not church lordship nor the lordship of those attempting to fill Jesus place.
But one canot obey with out a relationship, and the Holy Spirit is the connection in that relationship ..
Jesus spicifically and directly instructed the disciples NOT to be called master , or father or Rabbi (teacher )
Paul countrodicts this, establishing teachers , Implying himself fatherhood on timothy.

Would you be a christian with out Paul's teaching?
Honestly.
As a studdy
Learn obedience. and replace All Paul's words for love and grace= with obedience.
Jesus lived and taught obeience from the heart , and transparently before the Father. Not grace or compromise with sin.
The case of the woman accused of adultry , the man she had comitted adultry with, was not present , with out him, she could not be condemned. that's the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 03:25 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Jesus did not teach God compromising with sin, but Paul implies a grace that does.
Take note of who Jesus was speaking to in the gospels, seriously - take note.

To those who justified themselves by the law, He threw the law right back in their faces (Paul agreed - no one is justified by the law. Rom 3:20, Gal 2:16)

To those who had no hope but to be convicted by the law - even stoned - He DID NOT CONDEMN.

Quick lesson by the Holy Spirit in back to back chapters:

Luke 18, the rich young ruler bragged that he had kept all the law; Jesus used the law to crush the tight fisted guy.

Luke 19, Zacchaeus (the tax collector we would've all hated) WAS NOT CONDEMNED and after sitting in the King's presence declared, "Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold."

The law makes people worse, grace sets people free - that's Paul message by the Holy Ghost.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
And what's wrong with Thor loving everyone?
Probably nothing. I don't know much about Thor. Is he a good guy?

Old 06-12-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I don't understand what you mean by that.

If you meditated and something about Thor was revealed to you... that would be YOUR truth.

You don't believe in God.... that is YOUR truth. Sorry, I'm not sure how else to illustrate it. Explaining esoteric concepts from the 60's is not my forte.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:23 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Probably nothing. I don't know much about Thor. Is he a good guy?

My little guy loves his action figures, and one of them is Thor. He wears a winged helmet and a red cape and carries a stupid little hammer that keeps getting lost. As I recall, he was a Greek god, and I vaguely recall something about thunder in connection with him? That's all I got.

Now, when my little guy and I play with Thor, I make Thor hug Spiderman and Hulk and Wolverine and Iron Man and help out people who are in trouble and, basically, he loves everyone. Little guy would rather make him hit the bad guys with his hammer. I much prefer the Thor who loves.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:23 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are so bound up with preconceptions and indoctrination that you seem unable to think for yourself. I have never used any mind-altering substance . . . except alcohol. . . and I gave that up 40 years ago. My experiences are all under sober conscious control and I have no doubt about their authenticity. There is no such thing as the supernatural . . . just things that are currently not understood. Everything I believe is compatible with what science has discovered. There is no magic or any other kind of mumbo jumbo about it. I am stunned that you would deny the validity your own experiences so readily.
Quote:
I think, in Freak's case, it's because of a lack of experience and exposure to people with alternative beliefs. Grasshoppers needs time and education.
Free your mind, Freak. Deep meditation opens the mind to all sorts of things. Mystic's experience has been shared by MANY people.
I agree.
Quote:
I'm exposed to all sorts of beliefs on here daily.
Again, I wasn't doubting that Mystic had an experience. I'm also well aware that meditation can cause altered states of consciousness. Where did I doubt any of that?
I simply doubt that such experiences are *evidence* for things like supernatural beings or insights into how said beings supposedly think. If I came up to you on the street and told you, "I just had an amazing experience that proves that Thor loves everyone!!!" you would probably be skeptical, no? You might wonder if I was on drugs. You might even call the cops.
The bold is what I was referring to, Freak . . . when I said "You are so bound up with preconceptions and indoctrination." There is nothing supernatural, period. It does not exist. God is NOT supernatural. God is the most natural of what is natural . . . being the Source of everything natural.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:34 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
Jesus said, "God is Spirit, and they that woship Him Must worship Him on Spirit and in truth."
With out the Holy Spirit in ones life, they cannot worship, nor obey God period.
Jesus came to provide the Holy Spirit for this reason.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:43 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
If you meditated and something about Thor was revealed to you... that would be YOUR truth.

You don't believe in God.... that is YOUR truth. Sorry, I'm not sure how else to illustrate it. Explaining esoteric concepts from the 60's is not my forte.
Are you suggesting that truth is different for different people? That seems bizarre to me. For example, are you suggesting that evolution is true for Arequipa (because he believes it) but not true for Eusebius (since he does not believe it)? Isn't evolution true (or false) independent of whether or not anyone believes it?

I thought truth was something "factual"... for everyone...independent of belief.

But that would be a whole separate topic. And probably one for the philosophy forum. Go ahead and have the last word if you'd like.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:00 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that truth is different for different people? That seems bizarre to me. For example, are you suggesting that evolution is true for Arequipa (because he believes it) but not true for Eusebius (since he does not believe it)? Isn't evolution true (or false) independent of whether or not anyone believes it?
I thought truth was something "factual"... for everyone...independent of belief.
But that would be a whole separate topic. And probably one for the philosophy forum. Go ahead and have the last word if you'd like.
Dew is only referring to those things about which we have no real answers in science.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Dew is only referring to those things about which we have no real answers in science.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity