Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 08:43 AM

7,331 posts, read 6,959,632 times

Advertisements

If God is compromising with sin, then Jesus gospel is superfulous.
Your faith is vain .righteousness and unrighteousness does not matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 09:12 AM

Jesus said it's a nearrow way, your saying it's broad.
Who's lordship you obey, is the reward you will share,
Serve Paul and his teaching ,or serve Jesus in His teaching .
Personally I prefir Jesus and HIs teaching ,providing the Holy Spirit to teach and guide me through out my life.
Wth Paul you have his letters and his opinion his own list of laws .
In that day when Jesus recognizes His own Matthew 721,22,23,
I am sure Jesus will recognize me , He has been teaching me.
I wonder if Paul will be there to idenitfy you ?Will that matter ?

Old 06-17-2015, 09:27 AM

45,760 posts, read 27,410,412 times
From the OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Paul is used to discard much of Jesus teachings whether its in regards to the Sabbath , Holy Days, eating unclean foods, that your works dont matter, OSAS, Jesus second coming and more.

If a teaching of Jesus is brought up, the first response is usually, But Paul said XYZ.

Jesus was the messiah, the son of God, was raised from the dead, will return to rule as king, and was given all power to rule, not Paul. The teaching of Paul should never overrule the teachings of Jesus.
You can't separate the ministry of Jesus from the ministry of Paul. They are not in competition. Their ministries took place in different dispensations.

Jesus obviously is the son of God and is overruled by no one. However, Jesus met Paul directly and spoke to Paul directly (Acts 9, 22). Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to Paul and called him the be the main apostle to the Gentiles and to lead the inception of the church.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:08 AM

That was according to Paul.
Ther are no witnesses to that .
No doubt Paul used his pharesee stattus to make himself a place among the believers.
You cant tell me that in just a few days Paul goes from pursicuter to teacher and apostle right off the bat.
The disciples spet 3 years with Jesus and were still stumbling around.
Paul was an oppurtunist. and boasted him self in almost every letter , not the nature of a disciple.
I have known the Lord for over 50 years , and grew up under the teaching of Paul till I was 20, and then the Hoy Spirit took over my tutelage when I learned that That is Jesus whole aim from the beginning.
When I became desperate to know God's will things changed .
Paul may have ment well , we won't know that till judgment day. But the fact remains Jesus deepened the responsibility for accountability when He came and provided the Holy Spirit . He did not dampen it by any means.
There were many christians LONG before Paul came on the scene and some of them GENTILE .
All under the same Gospel of Jesus, not Paul. 1John 2;20;
Individual accountability still stands ,obedience to God still stands , the only differene is now gentiles have the same oppurtunity to have real realtionship with God , something the jews had been hoping for them selves, a very long time "the promise of the Father" .
Repentence must come first , from self govern to God governed, I don't see where Paul made that comitment. Though he understood the power of Jesus name . wheelding that power does not certify one with God Matthew 7;21,22,23,
Obedience to the letter, is what Paul came from, obedience to the Holy Spirit is what Jesus taught and demonstrated.
There is a very big difference.
Paul relied on his education and stattus to get him self around.
Paul's claims are questionable, more so because he issues a curse to any one differing from his teaching. Which leaves Jesus Holy Spirit "out".
If Paul is right ,then earlier christians had it wrong .

Old 06-17-2015, 11:37 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,166,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
From the OP...

You can't separate the ministry of Jesus from the ministry of Paul. They are not in competition. Their ministries took place in different dispensations.

Jesus obviously is the son of God and is overruled by no one. However, Jesus met Paul directly and spoke to Paul directly (Acts 9, 22). Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to Paul and called him the be the main apostle to the Gentiles and to lead the inception of the church.
While that is supposed to be true, mainstream Christianity does that. Jesus never once said anywhere that is was okay to eat unclean foods, but Paul will be quoted out of context all day long to do so.

Jesus specifically said he wasnt here to abolish the commands of God, but 1 verse in Col 2:14 is used to allow Paul in one stroke of a pen to abolish all of Gods commands.

Jesus specifically says you will give an account for your works, but Paul is used out of context to say that faith is all that matters, so dont worry about your works.

There are many more examples that show how the church will use Paul's teachings to over rule the ones of Jesus most of the time, if it doesnt agree with their doctrine they have been passed down or teach. Paul is Christianity's God when you look at some of these doctrines alot of these churches teach.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
While that is supposed to be true, mainstream Christianity does that. Jesus never once said anywhere that is was okay to eat unclean foods, but Paul will be quoted out of context all day long to do so.

Jesus specifically said he wasnt here to abolish the commands of God, but 1 verse in Col 2:14 is used to allow Paul in one stroke of a pen to abolish all of Gods commands.

Jesus specifically says you will give an account for your works, but Paul is used out of context to say that faith is all that matters, so dont worry about your works.

There are many more examples that show how the church will use Paul's teachings to over rule the ones of Jesus most of the time, if it doesnt agree with their doctrine they have been passed down or teach. Paul is Christianity's God when you look at some of these doctrines alot of these churches teach.
Regarding the bold -- THEN, that's our problem down here. That's not Paul's problem.

Unclean foods... see Mark 7:15-19 - nothing going into the man defiles the man,... He declared all foods clean...

Colossians 2:14 - He did not abolish any commands. He abolished our sin debt. That's different.

Faith/works - Yes we will all give an account for our works, but that is independent of salvation from God's wrath. Context and audience is important to correctly understand the passages.

Paul does not invalidate anything that Christ has said or done. Some things have indeed changed because of Christ's death and the role of the Holy Spirit and the inception of the church/body of Christ. Paul is getting his instructions through the Holy Spirit from Christ in heaven. So there should be no contradictions - only our misunderstanding.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Regarding the bold -- THEN, that's our problem down here. That's not Paul's problem.

Unclean foods... see Mark 7:15-19 - nothing going into the man defiles the man,... He declared all foods clean...

Colossians 2:14 - He did not abolish any commands. He abolished our sin debt. That's different.

Faith/works - Yes we will all give an account for our works, but that is independent of salvation from God's wrath. Context and audience is important to correctly understand the passages.

Paul does not invalidate anything that Christ has said or done. Some things have indeed changed because of Christ's death and the role of the Holy Spirit and the inception of the church/body of Christ. Paul is getting his instructions through the Holy Spirit from Christ in heaven. So there should be no contradictions - only our misunderstanding.
If Jesus declared all foods clean and said you can eat whatever you want, he is then saying you can break his fathers commandments to eat unclean foods, which would be a sin and then Jesus isnt the Messiah at that point.

Mark 7: 15-19 is used out of context. They were talking about not washing your hands before you eat doesnt make you unclean and is verified by Matt 15:20

Matthew 15:20 (NKJV) 20 These are the things which defile a man, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man.”

I agree that Paul and Jesus taught the same thing, its the church that has twisted Paul's teachings now adays.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
If Jesus declared all foods clean and said you can eat whatever you want, he is then saying you can break his fathers commandments to eat unclean foods, which would be a sin and then Jesus isnt the Messiah at that point.

Mark 7: 15-19 is used out of context. They were talking about not washing your hands before you eat doesnt make you unclean and is verified by Matt 15:20

Matthew 15:20 (NKJV) 20 These are the things which defile a man, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man.”

I agree that Paul and Jesus taught the same thing, its the church that has twisted Paul's teachings now adays.
You are missing the point in Mark 7/Matthew 15. He was talking about the washing of hands as well as the food that passes through the stomach. The focus was on the washing of the hands because that's what the Pharisees brought up. But Jesus extended it to everything that goes through the stomach.

Jesus' point is that what comes out of your heart (and not your stomach) is what defiles you. Quote the entire Matthew 15 passage in its context.

Matthew 15:17-20 - "Do you not understand that everything that goes into the mouth passes into the stomach, and is eliminated? 18 "But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man. 19 "For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders. 20 "These are the things which defile the man; but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile the man."

Old 06-17-2015, 12:52 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,795,678 times
Jesus said to abide and remain in His word, to continue in His word. Paul did not do this. Therefore he is a false prophet.

"If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple" (Jesus)

Old 06-17-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
You are missing the point in Mark 7/Matthew 15. He was talking about the washing of hands as well as the food that passes through the stomach. The focus was on the washing of the hands because that's what the Pharisees brought up. But Jesus extended it to everything that goes through the stomach.

Jesus' point is that what comes out of your heart (and not your stomach) is what defiles you. Quote the entire Matthew 15 passage in its context.

Matthew 15:17-20 - "Do you not understand that everything that goes into the mouth passes into the stomach, and is eliminated? 18 "But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man. 19 "For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders. 20 "These are the things which defile the man; but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile the man."

The dietary laws werent even the topic of discussion at that time. It would make no sense to say since whatever goes in you cant defile you, its okay to eat a rat now. The way I look at it, God gave a list of what he considered to be food because he created us and knows what is best for us. Im trying my best to leave pork & shrimp alone, but its been hard giving it up completely considering I ate it growing up. But I barley ever eat it now. I dont think anyone is going to hell for eating some ribs or shrimp fried rice, but some extremist out there think that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity