Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 05:47 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times

Advertisements

Just 1 painting hanging on some hallway wall in the Vatican, or a gold chalice used by
some 4th c pope would sell for a couple $million or more...what that would do for
the people in the slums there.

He is a nice guy that has a lot of pretty words...but gee, hows about some practical action?

I could never remain in a church like that.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 05:53 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Just 1 painting hanging on some hallway wall in the Vatican, or a gold chalice used by
some 4th c pope would sell for a couple $million or more...what that would do for

He is a nice guy that has a lot of pretty words...but gee, hows about some practical action?

Thoughts?
they do give a ton of money to the poor. Money makes money, so they can give more. But they could give every red cent away and it wouldn't matter. We would just find something else to rail on. It is a church of humans and they range from ape to awake just like any other large group.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:01 PM

1,422 posts, read 950,950 times
Another thing to consider is that poor people are poor because they are easily parted from their $$

So there would have to be a way to guarantee that any $ the Church of Rome gives to the poor will not be sucked into the capitalist systems which prey on the poor, otherwise selling a masterpiece or what have you won't have the desired effect.

Just imagine the CoR selling all assets and precious artifacts, giving the money to the poor and then watching the poor lose that to the rich atheists who will be lining up to part them from their $...

So there would have to be a way to guarantee that this couldn't happen - and which of the present systems would write laws which would make it a criminal offence of the first degree for the rich to take advantage of the poor?

Old 07-12-2015, 08:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
The Pope doesn't have the the power to sell/donate items that belong to the church. Chalices, paintings, etc. in the Vatican belong to the office of the papacy. Not the Pope himself.

Personally, I think Francis would have no trouble doing it.... but he can't. It's not his to sell or give away.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:18 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,131,841 times
I wonder what world wide organization gives more money to the poor than any other organization in the world? I wonder which organization educates more poor children in the world than any other organization? I wonder which organization provides the most free healthcare to the poor?

The Vatican could sell every piece of history they own, give the money to the poor. And in a year, the poor would be poor again. And then all that history would be gone! Money doesn't lift a society out of poverty. Politics makes people poor. And keeps people poor.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:33 AM

1,788 posts, read 1,171,727 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
The Vatican is the "RICHEST" entity in the WORLD ~ FACT.

~but I'm sure the little ones understand why the rich are rich and the poor are poor.

They could wipe out World Hunger with less than half of what they are worth.

Who was it again that couldn't get through the "eye of the needle"?

Old 07-13-2015, 07:08 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,419 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
I get your point. And this is the only Pope I've ever agreed with on a lot of issues. I wonder if he could sell anything within the Vatican? If it will be done, it seems like he would be the Pope to do it. Surely he can't ignore the dichotomy of the church (universal) owning all that vast array of treasures when Jesus taught not to gather up earthly treasures. I've been waiting all my life for the Catholic church to rip the robes off and get rid of all the iconography and sell all the gold and jewels and give it to the suffering people. I am also waiting for the Protestant churches to do the same and to pay their taxes as they ought to know they should be. It would be a great thing if any of this actually happened and hey, maybe it will. South Caroline took down the nasty, Confederate battle flag so you just never know what might happen.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:15 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
So the usual anti-capitalism suspects want the Vatican to sell $1million in art, and distribute the evil proceeds to the poor in Paraguay.

I see.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:31 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,131,841 times
All of you are blind to think that money solves poverty. The Catholic Church gives more to the poor than all other churches COMBINED! But it's never enough.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:05 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
All of you are blind to think that money solves poverty. The Catholic Church gives more to the poor than all other churches COMBINED! But it's never enough.
I imagine you have seen the movie "It's a Wonderful Life". All these comments saying money will not help the poor remind me of George Bailey (a character in the movie) talking to his angel (Clarence) who tells George "I haven't got any money - it's not used in heaven", to which George replies, "Well it sure comes in quite handy down here on earth, buddy". There is not one person posting here if he/she were stripped of all their money for any number of reasons that could not be helped by someone wealthy coming along and giving them a financial handout. Not one. In fact, I find that those who blame poverty on the poor to be similar to those who blame rape on the victim. If you read the bible, you will find out pretty darn quick how God feels about the rich oppressing the poor, wage theft, greed, etc.... so I disagree with all who keep saying that poverty is not a fiscal issue. That is B.S.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity