Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:18 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,583,063 times

Advertisements

Do any other people who were raised devout Christians have trouble getting along with people of other faiths or other backgrounds? I almost always feel like I'm going to offend someone who ascribes to another faith or does not have a faith at all if I reveal that I was raised to believe the Christian faith and talk too much about my religious beliefs. I usually identify myself as "questioning" or "no preference" when people ask, but there are times when I feel like just mentioning what I believe to, at the least, remind myself that I believe it and love God.

There are certain groups that I feel like I might have too much trouble getting along with because of this, and they are:

Devout Muslims
Orthodox Jews
Gays and Lesbians
Radical Atheists

I'm not the kind of person who goes around picking fights, but there are times I feel compelled to defend people from their own ignorance concerning my religious beliefs. Unfortunately, though, this can be misread, and often is. I remember in high school I did not make many friends because I would quickly try to defend my faith even when it wasn't necessary. I shamed myself and, by extension, my religious beliefs, because I came off as an ignorant fool somehow. To this day, people still make a huge deal out of miscommunications like this. I know religion isn't something you are supposed to talk about openly, but is there a way to keep your opinions to yourself without feeling guilty? I was raised in a denomination of Christianity that encouraged us to preach, stand up, be heard, and defend our faith.

Add to this, I'm not a great person. I have too many personal faults and flaws to even think about judging anyone else, but sometimes the need to jump in an argument or offer a perspective based on my beliefs trumps all reason I would otherwise have. I've gotten myself ostracized before for trying to talk about my faith, and I guess if necessity has it so, I can do it again, but I really do hate that this sometimes comes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 07:26 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Do any other people who were raised devout Christians have trouble getting along with people of other faiths or other backgrounds? I almost always feel like I'm going to offend someone who ascribes to another faith or does not have a faith at all if I reveal that I was raised to believe the Christian faith and talk too much about my religious beliefs. I usually identify myself as "questioning" or "no preference" when people ask, but there are times when I feel like just mentioning what I believe to, at the least, remind myself that I believe it and love God.

There are certain groups that I feel like I might have too much trouble getting along with because of this, and they are:

Devout Muslims
Orthodox Jews
Gays and Lesbians
Radical Atheists

Seriously, just 4 groups make up your trials and tribulation of dealing with DIVERSITY? At least there are no problems with minorities, women, pizza makers and progressive thinking folks

I'm not the kind of person who goes around picking fights, but there are times I feel compelled to defend people from their own ignorance concerning my religious beliefs. Unfortunately, though, this can be misread, and often is. I remember in high school I did not make many friends because I would quickly try to defend my faith even when it wasn't necessary. I shamed myself and, by extension, my religious beliefs, because I came off as an ignorant fool somehow. To this day, people still make a huge deal out of miscommunications like this. I know religion isn't something you are supposed to talk about openly, but is there a way to keep your opinions to yourself without feeling guilty? I was raised in a denomination of Christianity that encouraged us to preach, stand up, be heard, and defend our faith.

Add to this, I'm not a great person. I have too many personal faults and flaws to even think about judging anyone else, but sometimes the need to jump in an argument or offer a perspective based on my beliefs trumps all reason I would otherwise have. I've gotten myself ostracized before for trying to talk about my faith, and I guess if necessity has it so, I can do it again, but I really do hate that this sometimes comes up.

I have zero problems sitting with a Muslim for lunch, or a JW for cookies and milk, or a Wicca for brunch. In fact I regularly "browse" the local Wicca Spiritual Center.

I have even hung with mediums in a cemetery at midnight on Halloween...broke bread and drank wine.

Here is the secret---

DO NOT TALK LIKE ONLY TOUR RELIGIOUS VIEWS ARE CORRECT AND REFRAIN FROM THE FIRE AND BRIM STONE LECTURE.

Talk with them as if you are friends or neighbors--Talk to encourage and listen to learn.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:29 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,245,680 times
The only radicals I know personally are the radical Atheists. They do get on my nerves, yes. Gays and Lesbians never bother me personally, not that I have many in my life. I have a daughter who is a lesbian and I get along fine with her. She does not make her sexual identity her life focus. Too bad others do. I know of a couple of Jews who are in the liberal radio talk show biz. The only ones who get on my nerves are the Atheist Jews who despise Christians but most of the Jews I listen to in radio are not like that. I honestly don't personally know any Muslims, but I see them out walking in public and they do not bother me at all. I probably would not get along very well with a religious Muslim man if he tried to push his religious views on me since I really dislike the way they treat women in general.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:32 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times
I was sort of raised in one of those barbaric denominations myself, so I have a good idea of what you're talking about.

Quote:
I shamed myself and, by extension, my religious beliefs, because I came off as an ignorant fool somehow. To this day, people still make a huge deal out of miscommunications like this.
Why do you assume it was "miscommunication?" You said what you truly believed, and (according to you) people thought you were an ignorant fool because of it. Maybe the reason they thought that was not because you "miscommunicated," but rather because you communicated your beliefs quite clearly.

Quote:
I know religion isn't something you are supposed to talk about openly, but is there a way to keep your opinions to yourself without feeling guilty? I was raised in a denomination of Christianity that encouraged us to preach, stand up, be heard, and defend our faith.
Too bad you weren't raised in a denomination that taught you to have the courage of your convictions.

The way other people live their lives is none of your business. If you choose to make it your business, and throw your religious beliefs in their face, then you have to accept that sometimes they're going to dislike you for it. If that hurts your feelings or embarrasses you, that's your problem. You can't have it both ways. Don't go around crying, "oh, my gosh, people don't like me when I tell them they're sinners. whatever shall I do?" You have nobody to blame but yourself, and if you're not equipped to cope with that, then mind your own business.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:37 PM

88,613 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I have zero problems sitting with a Muslim for lunch, or a JW for cookies and milk, or a Wicca for brunch. In fact I regularly "browse" the local Wicca Spiritual Center.

I have even hung with mediums in a cemetery at midnight on Halloween...broke bread and drank wine.

Here is the secret---

DO NOT TALK LIKE ONLY TOUR RELIGIOUS VIEWS ARE CORRECT AND REFRAIN FROM THE FIRE AND BRIM STONE LECTURE.

Talk with them as if you are friends or neighbors--Talk to encourage and listen to learn.
You demon, you. I was at my local Earth Spirit shop last week. I buy incense and candles and cards there, and occasionally music or a book.

I work with all sorts of people of different religions, or none. You can have those conversations, but first get a sense of whether the person you are talking to is open to that conversation or not. I've got two coworkers with Ganesha in their cubicles. Ganesha provides Hindus with obstacles and then helps them to overcome them to improve themselves. It's a common thing to keep a picture of Ganesha at work.

I enjoy learning about what other people believe. OP, you can talk about your faith appropriately, when it's welcome into the conversation but think about whether you really want to come from the place where you feel you have to "defend" it. That's starting off, well, defensively. Jesus didn't operate from a place of defensiveness.

I've got a friend who says, "I'd rather see a sermon than hear one." Strive to live up to your Christian beliefs and see others as your neighbors. Let them see God in you without having to preach it.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:59 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
I guess I live far too simplistic..I was brought up to NOT talk about Religion nor Politics..because inevitably ..it becomes a debate that goes wrong..and causes riff's between genuine friendships..Remove such talk and hey..enjoy mutual enjoyments..

So my question to OP would be..Why do you even bother allowing someone else belief system to even interfere with daily interactions..The only reason you would make such a judgement when NOT even knowing that person is basically called " Profiling" and if that's your thing..then you will have to deal with it..Alienate all who don't dress like you ...You will never learn tho that most all of those you seem to have prejudicial feelings about are actually not so different in daily lives....Plotical Rhetorics has truly shamed religious folks to fear.. Ignorance is NOT helpful..and will just manipulate you to follow like robots and march to false narratives...May make you feel good..But once again..how has this educated you about the world/religions/what's acceptable etc....

Education and knowledge empowers everyone ..Encasing oneself so narrowly leads to narrow mindedness which eventually leads to limited enlightenment... Analogy..when you don't avail yourself to resources one dies due to lack of nutrients ( plants i.e.) so deny yourself such knowledge..then see IF you feel fulfilled in life..That will be your cross to bear

Old 05-26-2015, 08:39 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,809 times
I speak of my faith regularly to any and all people. I find that my positive and gentle attitude makes people feel open to express their own faith and beliefs. In our culture today, we've been inculcated into this philosophy of tolerance and diversity that we're afraid to be different. We are all different and that's okay. People have the choice to believe or not believe in anything they wish. The crucial point is how you as a person respect others and their beliefs. It doesn't mean they are right and it doesn't mean you must agree with them but you have to approach people with love and respect, regardless of their views. I don't force my beliefs down people's throats but I don't hesitate to answer their questions open and honestly either.

I find you get as much respect as you give and I always try to give as much as I can as often as I can.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:50 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
People have the choice to believe or not believe in anything they wish.
No . . . actually they do NOT. Belief is NOT a choice. It exists or it doesn't. We can claim to believe anything . . . and that is merely an intellectual acceptance, period. But we do NOT choose what we actually believe which is more visceral. We CAN choose to accept a great many things and some people think that is belief . . . but it isn't. This is why the nonsense that God expects you to believe what you do NOT believe or burn in Hell is so preposterous. True belief in God (or anything else) is NOT a choice.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:08 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No . . . actually they do NOT. Belief is NOT a choice. It exists or it doesn't. We can claim to believe anything . . . and that is merely an intellectual acceptance, period. But we do NOT choose what we actually believe which is more visceral. We CAN choose to accept a great many things and some people think that is belief . . . but it isn't. This is why the nonsense that God expects you to believe what you do NOT believe or burn in Hell is so preposterous. True belief in God (or anything else) is NOT a choice.
See? Here's a perfect example of what NOT to do when talking about your beliefs with other people. Try not to take every opportunity to call their beliefs 'nonsense'. It is very disrespectful and not very loving.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:18 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
See? Here's a perfect example of what NOT to do when talking about your beliefs with other people. Try not to take every opportunity to call their beliefs 'nonsense'. It is very disrespectful and not very loving.
When something is actually nonsense . . . what is wrong with pointing it out. Can you CHOOSE to believe that Thor is the God of thunder and lightning??? Can you CHOOSE to believe ANYTHING that you do NOT actually believe???? Then to claim belief is a CHOICE is nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity