Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2015, 02:25 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times

Advertisements

you know, when people say it the same as an f bomb or other curse words--how on earth did "Jesus Christ" come to be used that way?

I grew up around many Irish catholics and it was used heavily, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 02:34 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
It became a "swear" word when some one added the middle initial "H"--as in--

JESUS H CHRIST, what are gas prices so high.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:38 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
See if people are in the presence of Jesus Holy Spirit most of the time and pray for issues to be fixed by Jesus all the time His plan is active than calling on the name of Jesus Christ is a good thing .................., But If people are not praying and far from God then calling the name of Jesus Christ on every issues indiscreetly is taking the name of God in vain and belittle Jesus and His identity ...... Usually new Christian can use the name Jesus Christ in their gabbing as there would be demonic challenging for these new converts and then as time goes by with deliverance of spirit the calling Jesus Christ in their gabbing disappears as they become stronger in Christ

Old 08-22-2015, 02:38 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Here's one person's perspective on the subject:

Why Is “Jesus Christ” Used as “Blasphemous Profanity”? | Mind Renewers

Old 08-23-2015, 02:39 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
you know, when people say it the same as an f bomb or other curse words--how on earth did "Jesus Christ" come to be used that way?

I grew up around many Irish catholics and it was used heavily, to say the least.
Taking the Lord's name in vain https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou_s...hy_God_in_vain

Truth be told, I'm not the best about this, but it is truly offensive to a lot of people.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:43 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,051,546 times
Nine Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Swear Words | TIME.com

Old 08-23-2015, 05:12 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,224 times
I'm not sure when, but I never tolerated my children to use the Lord's name in vain in that way. I would always correct them and tell them not to say "God", "Jesus" "Christ", etc. unless they were speaking to him. I think it made an impression because I have rarely heard such language coming out of my children who are all grown. Perhaps if they stub a toe, but when I curse (occasionally, usually if I'm alone and I nearly break my neck tripping over something)... I leave God's name out of it. There are plenty of curse words to use without bringing the Almighty's name into it. When I was still living with their father, we had a sharp bone of contention about playing movies with fowl language in the presence of our children. I was often at odds with him over that issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity