Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 09:35 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,621,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
So why are men claiming that privilege of forgiveness? It seems men wish women to jump through hoops for their reproductive health care decisions. They seem to forget they equally responsible.

I do not see anyone demanding men apologize or ask forgiveness for their role. It shows arrogance and hubris.
The apostolic churches do not claim the "power of forgiveness", they were specified by Christ
Himself to be the conduits by which sins are absolved.
As to your distinguishment between the roles of men and women in the generative act,
it is the woman who approves of that act, unless she is raped, and again it is the woman
who decides whether to carry her child to term, unless there is miscarriage or crime against her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 09:46 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,633,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
The apostolic churches do not claim the "power of forgiveness", they were specified by Christ
As to your distinguishment between the roles of men and women in the generative act,
it is the woman who approves of that act, unless she is raped, and again it is the woman
who decides whether to carry her child to term, unless there is miscarriage or crime against her.

Women who get pregnant are usually in a relationship, and I will reserve my comments to those situations. Men are equally responsible for the pregnancy.

Both the woman and the man approve of the having sex. However she must decide the outcome. If all he brings to the relationship is sperm her choice is easier.

No one needs forgiveness for their reproductive health care choices. Only women are demonized.

I would really love to see fundamentalist ideologues speak about the responsibility of men and where they choose to put their sperm. That should be the topic at the pulpit.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:08 AM

13,777 posts, read 5,013,054 times
Quote:
Sounds like you approve of Sharia law where, if a couple is caught in adultery, the woman gets stoned to death and the guy gets off scot-free.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:34 AM

12,437 posts, read 8,233,248 times
Quote:
Women who get pregnant are usually in a relationship, and I will reserve my comments to those situations. Men are equally responsible for the pregnancy.
Both the woman and the man approve of the having sex. However she must decide the outcome. If all he brings to the relationship is sperm her choice is easier.
No one needs forgiveness for their reproductive health care choices. Only women are demonized.
I would really love to see fundamentalist ideologues speak about the responsibility of men and where they choose to put their sperm. That should be the topic at the pulpit.
Fornication is taught against. In one big church, it requires the same sacraments to make things right with God in their teaching. If the perspective mother was the male's wife then he would be just as guilty as the woman if he recommended an abortion

Old 09-04-2015, 11:22 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,309,695 times
Quote:
Jesus himself gave the power of determining and forgiving sin to His one and only Apostolic Church.

"Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven"
NO HE DID NOT.. GOD and GOD alone has that power. MORTALS can not be trusted to decide whose sin is or is not forgiven. If that were true, then Jesus just wasted 33 years on earth...

But, if I joined your church I would be able to condemn you of all your sins??

Old 09-04-2015, 01:36 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,340,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
NO HE DID NOT.. GOD and GOD alone has that power. MORTALS can not be trusted to decide whose sin is or is not forgiven. If that were true, then Jesus just wasted 33 years on earth...

But, if I joined your church I would be able to condemn you of all your sins??
not at all. Catholics and Orthodox believe that only an ordained priest may forgive confessed sins in the name of God and with His power (not of their own) based on their interpretation of scripture (cited in earlier posts on this thread but summed up as "whose sins you forgive are forgiven and whose sins you retain are retained." Jesus came into the world to bring not condemnation but mercy and reconciliation to sinners and the church he founded remains in that business---calling sinners (in effect probably most all of us at least at one time or another) to repentance and reformation of life. the sacrament of penance/reconciliation/"confession" is a special way for the church to extend the mercy, forgiveness, and healing of God to all those who need and ask---especially in the case of serious sin.

those who think OTHERWISE may and should do as their conscience directs them. OTOH, those who for whatever reason believe that Christ indeed founded a church and indeed entrusted it with authority to forgive sins will ALSO do what their conscience and faith tells them should be done.

"all that we know is that God has an infinite love for souls, that He possesses a thousand Divine secrets of reaching them and that His mercy is a fathomless sea, whose limits one must never think has been attained."

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 09-04-2015 at 01:53 PM..

Old 09-04-2015, 01:47 PM

64,022 posts, read 40,325,748 times
Default One does not need the Pope to exonerate women who had abortions!!

It is sad that ANYONE thinks they should assume the role of God here. God wants voluntary compliance and no judging or interfering with our voluntary actions. Only human perversity and desire for power and control is responsible for the existence of ANY hierarchy. Christ expressly forbade ANY hierarchy when He said "He who would be first . . . etc." We all stand before God alone, both here and after death, period.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Fornication is taught against. In one big church, it requires the same sacraments to make things right with God in their teaching. If the perspective mother was the male's wife then he would be just as guilty as the woman if he recommended an abortion
I do not call loving, personal, relationships fornication. I do not judge personal reproductive healthcare decisions. I have no concern about the teachings of churches.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:18 PM

12,437 posts, read 8,233,248 times
Quote:
I do not call loving, personal, relationships fornication. I do not judge personal reproductive healthcare decisions. I have no concern about the teachings of churches.
Well why then do you ask about gender double standards?

Old 09-04-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Well why then do you ask about gender double standards?
No double standard. Responsibility, and accountability.

In Christianity we are told men are the head, yes? They make all the decisions, weigh the pros and cons, with all due consideration to their partner.

In this case women are the head. They are weighing the pros and cons with due consideration to their partner. However, the ultimate decision is hers. Both are accountable for the actions that make this decision necessary.

Double standard? Not really.

I would like to see faith address men. Just say no, and such. Use protection. Your hand is your best friend. That sort of thing.

I think Pat Robertson, and every televangelist should take this up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity