Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2018, 09:32 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,228,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Amen! It's the last-days counterfeit christianity on full display -- just as it's written. The man of sin, the lawless antichrist, is soon to be revealed to this depraved world that call good evil and evil good. These counterfeit christians, in tandem with the world, will love him and think he's God.

Amen! Acting on homosexual desires is a sin in God's eyes, no matter what man's legal system establishes as law. Also, you're right, a person with homosexual temptations who resists them through the power of God in his/her life is on the narrow road to eternal life. Willful Sin = death.

James 1
[12] Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
[13] Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
[14] But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
[15] Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
Quote:
Many Scriptures condemn homosexuality, but you try to twist and distort them to conform to your own lusts. You say up is down and down is up. DECEIT.

2 Corinthians 11
[14] And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
[15] Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:04 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,341,225 times
Quote:
Many Scriptures condemn homosexuality, but you try to twist and distort them to conform to your own lusts. You say up is down and down is up. DECEIT.

2 Corinthians 11
[15] Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

You say Goodbye and I say hello
. Cool a fundy who likes the Beatles.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:33 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,728,352 times
Quote:

2 Corinthians 11
Jesus didn't--you make Him a liar--which is why what pours out of your mouth is deceitfulness.

Quote:
"---the second is like the first---love your neighbor as yourself."
Matt. 22:39

Quote:
But wanting to justify himself, he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
Luke 10:29

The parable that follows this last question to Jesus is about a man, the Samaritan, who was the modern-day equivalent of a homosexual atheist "bible-hater." If you had the slightest clue about culture in Jesus day (and you don't as you are a biblical illiterate), you would know Jesus was speaking positively about those who were despised the most---like the OP's premise on this sub-thread.

It isn't the person from the radically different culture on the other side of the world that is hardest to love, but the nearby neighbor whose skin color, language, rituals, values, ancestry, sexual orientation, history, and customs are different from your own.

Jews had no dealings with the Samaritans. You have no dealings' with homosexuals. The Jews thought wrongly that they were righteous.

So do you.

Learn to love and sow mercy. It's the only way to be a child of God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=httACYMAokw

Quote:
Beloved, let us love one another, because love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
I John 4:7-8

Old 09-08-2018, 10:59 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,952,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Jesus didn't--you make Him a liar--which is why what pours out of your mouth is deceitfulness.
Jesus did condemn homosexuality because Jesus was the God of the Old Testament too. Secondly, Jesus, when in the flesh, condemned Sodom and Gomorrah for their sins; but, YOU try to attribute the sin of a sodomite to a temple prostitute. DECEIT. Thirdly, Jesus NEVER acknowledged any relationship other than between a man and a woman in holy matrimony. At no time did Jesus ever correct peoples' misunderstanding of marriage. Jesus rebuked the Pharisees, Scribes and Chief Priests for many things, so it stands to reason that He would have rebuked them over their understanding of marriage if homosexuality was so misunderstood.

Matthew 19
[3] The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
[4] And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
[5] And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
[6] Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:21 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,716,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
How about in THIS country? Atheists or those waving the banner of some god? Even the Civil War had both sides waving a "Christian" flag about their beliefs.
I'm afraid its atheists. Ever been to American gangland? <<cut>>

Quote:
Besides, some of those tyrants you mentioned were also religious.
Stalin was officially an atheist, and demanded the same from other Russians. Good luck trying to make Mao and Pol Pot look like Christians.

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-08-2018 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: We're not discussing abortion. This thread is about homosexuals and conservative Christians.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:01 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,401,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Ever been to American gangland?
You mean the underworld of fundamentalism with its pain and suffering theology?
Nope, the thought never crossed my mind, and only leads to more destruction.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:23 PM

6,803 posts, read 2,927,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Repentance requires acknowledging wrong and changing. All sin falls into that category.
So, let me see if I've got this right . . .(tearfully) "...Heavenly Father, I repent of my having been born a homosexual and I ask that you PLEASE help me change into the kind of person I was meant to be ...a heterosexual. Please forgive me for being a homosexual . . ." Is that the way it's supposed to go?

THAT ^^^ was the kind of prayer that a dear friend of mine would just about wear out his knees praying on a daily basis. He felt despicable and knew through his religious upbringing that it was HE who was 'wired' wrong and needed to 'be fixed'. So, he appealed to God to change him. He tried, God knows he tried! But, guess what? ...there was no change in my friend's sexual orientation. It was as though God was quite okay with the way my friend was ...a decent and caring human being. Common sense eventually won the day and my friend slowly began to accept himself for WHO he was.

So, don't give me this 'a homosexual needs to repent' crap! What the hell are they supposed to be repenting OF??

WHAT?

Tell us!

Old 09-08-2018, 08:05 PM

6,803 posts, read 2,927,082 times
Quote:

2 Corinthians 11
Well, I've asked you and others to provide these MANY scriptures that condemn homosexuality several times but you/they shirk away. Why? Because there are NOT many such scriptures and I'm asking the impossible of you/them!

Okay. From my study of scripture, which includes those cherry-picked verses that professed Christians just LOVE to bandy around, there are NO scriptures that address homosexuality. There ARE, however, maybe a half-dozen references in the ENTIRE Bible that speak to same sex sexual rituals with pagan temple prostitutes.

SO, one more time (<sigh>) ...someone ...ANYONE ...please present a so-called reference to homosexuality from the Bible that DOES NOT refer to pagan idolatry and temple prostitution.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:46 PM

P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I'm afraid its atheists. Ever been to American gangland? <<cut>>

Stalin was officially an atheist, and demanded the same from other Russians. Good luck trying to make Mao and Pol Pot look like Christians.
So your god was every bit as murderous and genocidal in the OT. Your god WAS Pol Pot. Are you proud of him? Is his case the exception to the rule? Were not the perpetrators doing so in the name of your book?

Thinking, loving, caring people aren't in the slightest interested by your justification of genocide by your god. In fact, accepting that god makes you absolutely in the same image--whether or not you wield the sword or chamber the bullet.

You read what the experts said. Pol Pot was a Buddhist who murdered Buddhists. No different than the murderous rages Christians have gone on---not that long ago in Ireland. What might have turned Stalin into a ruthless "atheist?" Perhaps it was his disgust of the seminary his mother sent him to.
Quote:
Joseph's mother was deeply religious and in 1888 she managed to obtain him a place at the local church school. Despite his health problems, he made good progress at school. However, his first language was Georgian and although he eventually learnt Russian, whenever possible, he would speak and write in his native language and never lost his distinct Georgian accent. His father died in 1890. Bertram D. Wolfe has argued "his mother, devoutly religious and with no one to devote herself to but her sole surviving child, determined to prepare him for the priesthood."

Stalin left school in 1894 and his academic brilliance won him a free scholarship to the Tiflis Theological Seminary. He hated the routine of the seminary. "In the early morning when they longed to lie in, they had to rise for prayers. Then, a hurried light breakfast followed by long hours in the classroom, more prayers, a meager dinner, a brief walk around the city, and it was time for the seminary to close. By ten in the evening, when the city was just coming to life, the seminarists had said their prayers they were on their way to bed." One of his fellow students wrote: "We felt like prisoners, forced to spend our young lives in this place although innocent."

Stalin told Emil Ludwig that he hated his time in the Tiflis Theological Seminary. "The basis of all their methods is spying, prying, peering into people's souls, to subject them to petty torment. What is the good in that? In protest against the humiliating regime and the jesuitical methods that prevailed in the seminary, I was ready to become, and eventually did become, a revolutionary, a believer in Marxism."
SparkNotes

Apparently Joseph was a pious young man---just like many who go on to be murderous, genocidal maniacs. Fundamentalist religion (such as Russian Orthodoxy) is quite good at developing those.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 09-09-2018 at 12:18 AM..

Old 09-09-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Jesus did condemn homosexuality because Jesus was the God of the Old Testament too. Secondly, Jesus, when in the flesh, condemned Sodom and Gomorrah for their sins; but, YOU try to attribute the sin of a sodomite to a temple prostitute. DECEIT. Thirdly, Jesus NEVER acknowledged any relationship other than between a man and a woman in holy matrimony. At no time did Jesus ever correct peoples' misunderstanding of marriage. Jesus rebuked the Pharisees, Scribes and Chief Priests for many things, so it stands to reason that He would have rebuked them over their understanding of marriage if homosexuality was so misunderstood.

Matthew 19
[3] The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
[4] And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
[5] And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
[6] Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
Does Jesus want us to stone our back talking children? That's in the OT too. Does your jesus want you to stone them?

Read the whole of the verses that Jesus used in telling His disciples that if they were shunned by any town it would be worse for that town than Sodom and Gommorah. What you have done is to project your prejudice about homosexuals into verses that involved a highly respected Middle Eastern tradition--providing food and shelter for travelers---hospitality.

This plain stupid interpretation you have ensconced into the NT illustrates your lack of biblical awareness.
God, speaking through the prophet Ezekiel, outlined the sins of the two cities:
Quote:
Now this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed, and complacent; they did not help the poor and needy.
Ezekiel 16:49
In the NT Jesus was sending out His disciples with the clothes on their backs---nothing more except the Spirit of God. But He KNEW that Sodom had refused hospitality to the Angels. He was simply reminding them of a story of which they were already aware. Nothing to do with "sexual sins" at all---HOSPITALITY.

Your entire post from Matthew was about Divorce, to which Jesus was opposed. It wasn't delegitimizating same sex marriage. And I'll call you a Class One hypocrite without knowing anything about your church. But I'll bet 20% or more of the couples sitting in it Sunday morning are divorced and remarried. That's who Jesus railed about. Divorce in this country isn't much harder than in His day. One or the other shakes a sandal at the other and says "I divorce thee, I divorce thee." I'll bet there hasn't been a "Don't displease God by divorcing your spouse" message preached from your church's pulpit----EVER.

So stop your hypocritical whining and get a biblical education. If I could take bible courses (and I have) so can you. If you choose a school that challenges your current thinking and presents the bible as it was understood at the time, you might be able to deal with that bigotry in your heart.

Sadly you missed the main point of my post to which you responded. It is our duty to love recklessly like Jesus did--so said the author of I John. By this will men know you are of God. You missed it because you've never had it.

Sow Mercy was the name of the Gaither song I shared. But you didn't listen to it from beginning to end because God hasn't called you to be His witness---or anything else for that matter. Because you've never had it, you have no burning desire to share it.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 09-09-2018 at 12:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.