Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2018, 12:26 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,731,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If you were, as you claim, an SBC pastor, I'm glad you're no longer if you deny the substitutionary atonement. There's already too many bad theologians in the SBC.
Me, too. I don’t want to be a part of a hypocritical church. And I intend to study Scripture and alter my views whenever God gives me vision to see better than I do now.

Since you are dead certain that you already have the truth, there is no chance for you to discover anything new. No chance to grow. No chance to blossom into anything other than your stunted self.

Bad theologians are exactly what the SBC relied upon to reach a misguided penal substitution concept. They were mostly Catholic. And they couldn’t read the Bible either.
Quote:
Paul says frequently that Christ died “for us” (Rom 5: 8; Gal 3: 13; Eph 5: 2; 1 Thess 5: 10). This clearly has the sense of benefaction done in solidarity and love. But does it carry the sense of Christ dying instead of us? This interpretation is in fact ruled out because we are called to die “with Christ” (Rom 6: 4–5; Gal 2: 20; Col 2: 12). Paul writes that because Christ “died for all, therefore all died” (2 Cor 5: 14). This is not the idea of Christ dying instead of us, but rather of participation—Christ dies and so do we.
Derek Flood, Healing the Gospel, A Radical Vision for Grace, Justice, and the Cross

Your view of “justice” is “payback.” Mine, AND the Bible’s, is a leveling of the playing fields. Your view of salvation is “believing the right things.” Mine is “doing the same things Jesus did toward sinners, regardless of their beliefs.”

I couldn’t remain in the SBC because it rejected people Jesus loves. You can’t leave because you cannot accept those “sinners” as anywhere near your equal.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I have no problem whatsoever with a gay man or woman coming to my church and sitting next to me.

I'm sorry if you think that Jerry Falwell speaks for me.
You’ve previously stated that you would not sit in a church with a gay standing in the pulpit. In that respect you ARE Jerry Falwell, you big, open-hearted lover of sinners!

Old 10-10-2018, 12:33 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,061,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
You’ve previously stated that you would not sit in a church with a gay standing in the pulpit. In that respect you ARE Jerry Falwell, you big, open-hearted lover of sinners!

I'd also not attend a church where an unrepentant adulterer preached. Would you?

Old 10-10-2018, 12:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,239,011 times
Quote:
I'd also not attend a church where an unrepentant adulterer preached. Would you?

Do you quiz your pastors first?

Old 10-10-2018, 01:14 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,947,173 times
Quote:
Who does the unrepentant adulterer hurt with his practice? Who does tha gay preacher hurt?

Old 10-10-2018, 01:20 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,061,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Who does the unrepentant adulterer hurt with his practice? Who does tha gay preacher hurt?
Completely irrelevant.

Suppose I have a job managing a SQL Server Database, but I decide I'd prefer to use Oracle. Is that my choice? Or is it my employer's choice?

Technically, no one may be HURT by me choosing to use Oracle....

Old 10-10-2018, 01:25 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,823,451 times
Quote:
Exactly. Unrepentant sin infects the church with the world.

Romans 12:1-2 Therefore, I urge you brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:39 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,754,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Only because she let it...
That's a silly argument. We just pretend immoral activity is moral? That's like telling a Jew that he shouldn't let it bother him if he is asked to cater a Nazi rally.

Quote:

But Jeff, don't you understand that orientation ALONE can not be destructive? It is ALWAYS the act that is destructive, not the orientation.
Whenever you go against God's plan and design, it is certainly destructive on spiritual level.

Quote:

And of course we can claim the act is wrong, regardless of whether someone has committed it. It would be stupid to think otherwise. Consent plays a LARGE role in all of this, you just refuse to accept that. You can not say that it doesn't. Two consenting adult males/females having sex is certainly different than 1 adult and 1 child. Surely you can see this??? They are in no way comparable, and never will be, regardless of how many times you guys beat the drum.
Ok ,a grown sister and her brother both consent to have sexual relations. Perfectly fine using your rational, right?

Quote:

It is nothing more than an argument based out of ignorance, in an attempt to make your side look less ridiculous, while actually making your side look more ridiculous.

Let's go with a little example that actually has nothing to do with sexual orientation, just to make the point. Let's say you don't agree with sodas being sold to children. Instead of simply saying, "I don't agree with sodas being sold to children," you're saying, "Well, if we allow sodas to be sold to children, what's next? Are we going to start allowing them to drink the blood of newborn babies!?" One has nothing to do with the other.
If you bring down one moral barrier then the door is open to break down the next. And every argument to justify same sex orientation makes you hypocritical if you don't approve of all other kinds of orientation.

Quote:

Of course it is. And I really hate to break this to your delicate little heart, but straight people **GASP** have unprotected sex all the time!!! I know, it's a huge shock to find out that it isn't just gay people! Sorry to be the one to break that to you.

Also, not having gay sex would not stop the disease. That's just dumb.
Spare me the theatrics. Of course, I know straight people engage in risky behavior, but guess what, straight people vastly outnumber gay people yet the STD stats vastly occur in the gay demographic. The logical conclusion is gay people have unsafe sex with multiple partners at much higher rate than heterosexuals.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Absolutely I would. I don’t see myself as better than any other sinner.

I bet my bottom dollar you have plenty of “unrepentant” adulterers in your church, too. If someone committed adultery and was divorced, then remarried to another, according to Scripture both are living in adultery continuously. This is why Jesus rejected the Law that was interpreted to mean only the physical act was adultery to state that in God’s eyes one has committed adultery by even lusting.

So yes, you probably have listened to unrepentant adulterers speak from your pulpit or in your Sunday School class. If they were repentant they would either return to the spouse they cheated on or remain single. Do you see how hypocritical your view is regarding “unrepentant” homosexuals. You’ve got a good 25% of your congregation who are practicing adulterers. But your mind dismisses the demands of Jesus by ASSUMING one can become an adulterer, pray for forgiveness, and then no longer be an adulterer.

For a guy who doesn’t care for theologians with alternate viewpoints, you remain steadfastly attached to an unbiblical view of adultery.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:05 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,613,557 times
Quote:
How about a church that has people who've had divorces or abortions?

Do you quiz everyone at church?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity