Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 01:10 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,610,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
Lev 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
What about women kind lying with woman kind?

Old 11-11-2018, 04:36 AM

16,708 posts, read 15,705,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
An enunuch is anyone that abstains from sexual relations. It could be by castration or by self control.
You are making up definitions for words. That is not conducive for good communication. I was unable to find a dictionary definition of Eunuch that matches yours at dictionary.com.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/eunuch

Old 11-11-2018, 04:43 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,408,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
And this Rabbi captures my understanding of what I believe the Scripture says regarding homosexuality:

Quote:
As a rabbi who is ready to perform gay weddings (if only :'-( someone would ask me), I can try to answer your question. I'm not sure what your background is, so forgive me if I'm telling you things you already know. Judaism is a religion which starts with the Bible, but we don't end with the Bible. In every generation we are called upon to interpret the legacy of Jewish thought and apply it to times which are radically different from the biblical era.

You are 100% correct that male-male anal sex is forbidden by the Torah. So is collecting interest on a loan. So is holding debt during the shmita year (every 7 years.) So is farming during the shmita year. But faced with radically different social conditions, the rabbis of earlier generations took it upon themselves to find ways around these prohibitions, since under new circumstances they were causing much more harm than good. Some people might not like this rabbinic approach and might prefer to just do what the Torah says (although frankly that is not possible.) Nonetheless, this is the historical method of Judaism and it's important to understand that when you ask the question "Why do Jews do X?"

In our generation, there are many rabbis who have addressed the issue of homosexuality in different ways. I know the rabbis who wrote the teshuvah (rabbinic responsa) permitting gay relationships in the Conservative movement, and I can tell you something of their thought process. One said that the Bible speaks of homosexuality as a willful perverse act. We now know that it isn't, but is instead a sexual orientation that is not chosen. We also know from our experience that gay couples create loving relationships and loving families. Therefore, to base halakhah (Jewish law) on this scientifically inaccurate statement in Leviticus would be akin to making halakhah as though the earth were flat.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Judaism/com...homosexuality/

Would to God you would understand that Christianity started with a PERSON, and doesn't end with a Bible.
Every generation is called upon to interpret the legacy of Christian thought anew.

And here is a link that lists denominations/faiths by how accepting they are of homosexual marriage. Jews, other than orthodox, have very strong support. Universalism (Unitarian), which you have stated is your "belief," is at the very top.
https://religionnews.com/wp-content/...ranking-02.png

For every fundamentalist point there are counterpoints---often numerous. This rabbi pointed out your bigotry as you aren't crying for all interest on loans to be forgiven and paid back, nor that every seventh year should be a year of no growth for crops (scientifically, we rotate crops now making the Biblical commandment irrelevant). So weep and gnash your teeth. God is growing our morality while yours remains stuck in the past along with my racist family---who believe God endorsed slavery!

Great post. But really , your family actually believes God endorsed slavery? Would they like to see it made legal again? Perhaps this time, they could be the slaves.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:16 AM

1,183 posts, read 538,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You are making up definitions for words. That is not conducive for good communication. I was unable to find a dictionary definition of Eunuch that matches yours at dictionary.com.

You post quite a bit about homosexual topics. So, why do you care so much about it? Is this a personal crusade or other?

Old 11-11-2018, 06:23 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,055,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If you want to set off most conservative Christians get on the topic of homosexuality or gay rights. The anger most of them have regarding this issue is unfathomable. Get on the topic and most conservative Christians will take on an anger and a zeal that you don't see when talking about any other issue except maybe abortion. Whenever LGBT-advocates have a political or cultural victory, Facebook fills up with right-wingers venting their anger and hatred towards these individuals. The same people come to the defense of people like Josh Duggar. Why is this? It seems to be getting a lot worse as many of the beliefs once confined to extremist groups like Westboro are now gaining traction among mainstream evangelicals.

Why is it that a man can cheat on his wife and molest his sister, and have Mike Huckabee call for forgiveness but as soon as somebody comes out as gay, you have Huckabee and his ilk calling on God to wipe America off the face of the planet for simply allowing them to exist?

You ask most people this question and they will say its because the Bible says homosexuality is an abomination. Want to know what also is an abomination? A lying tongue, (see Proverbs 12:22), yet religious right politicians have no qualms with spinning the truth when it suits their agenda. Most people who cry and scream about homosexuality probably aren't even aware of what else the Bible calls an abomination.
In Internet terminology a troll is someone who comes into an established community such as an online discussion forum and posts inflammatory, rude, repetitive or offensive messages as well as top post flooding and impersonating others -- designed intentionally to annoy or antagonize the existing members or disrupt the flow of discussion. A troll's main goal is usually to arouse anger and frustration or otherwise offend the message board's other participants, and will write whatever it takes to achieve this end.

One particularly effective way of provoking anger, and an often used trolling strategy, is the strategy of turning the tables. The troll tries to guess what the other participants are thinking about the troll (for example, "you are a hypocrite" or "you are a homosexual") then the troll will accuse the other participants of that and attack them relentlessly.

Provoking people to anger is a sort of anal sex and a sort of rape.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:30 AM

16,708 posts, read 15,705,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
You post quite a bit about homosexual topics. So, why do you care so much about it? Is this a personal crusade or other?
I'm interested in accuracy and honesty. I'm also a supporter of the Constitution and the rule of law.

I have friends and family members that are LGBT. I see daily what they go through simply trying to live their lives.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:33 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,250,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
You post quite a bit about hating and denying LGBTQ folks existence. Why do you care so much about who is being loved? Is it a personal crusade of BIGOTRY or is it simply based on a lack of knowledge?

Old 11-11-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
I'm interested in accuracy and honesty. I'm also a supporter of the Constitution and the rule of law.

I have friends and family members that are LGBT. I see daily what they go through simply trying to live their lives.
Honesty is subjective here. And as you claim this is a Christianity forum. It is not a LGBT crusade.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
You post quite a bit about hating and denying LGBTQ folks existence. Why do you care so much about who is being loved? Is it a personal crusade of BIGOTRY or is it simply based on a lack of knowledge?
Your sex life is no concern to me or others. The only reason homosexuality is addressed by the Elect is to counterract the misleading statements.

Trust me when I say the Christians are not posting mostly on your account but for the benefit Of some loss, confused person who needs to hear Truth. Becausing the constant <stuff> presented by the Collective, is poison.

Last edited by SumTingy; 11-11-2018 at 07:38 AM..

Old 11-11-2018, 07:48 AM

1,259 posts, read 565,523 times
Quote:

Mat 19:12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Adam Clarkes Commentary:

Eunuchs - Ευνουχος, from ευνην εχειν, to have the care of the bed or bedchamber; this being the principal employment of eunuchs in the eastern countries, particularly in the apartments of queens and princesses. These are they whom our Lord says are made eunuchs by men, merely for the above purpose.
So born from their mother’s womb - Such as are naturally incapable of marriage, and consequently should not contract any.
For the kingdom of heaven’s sake - I believe our Lord here alludes to the case of the Essenes, one of the most holy and pure sects among the Jews. These abstained from all commerce with women, hoping thereby to acquire a greater degree of purity, and be better fitted for the kingdom of God: children they had none of their own, but constantly adopted those of poor people, and brought them up in their own way. Philo, Josephus, and Pliny have largely described this very singular sect; and Dean Prideaux, with his usual fidelity and perspicuity, has given the substance of what each has said. Connex. vol. iii. p. 483, etc.; edit. 1725. The account is very interesting, and well worthy the attention of every Christian. Among the rabbins we find these different kinds of eunuchs, not only mentioned, but circumstantially described, סריס חמה saris chama, eunuchs of the sun, i.e. eunuchs by the hand of God; men born impotent. סריס אדם saris Adam, eunuchs of men, those who were castrated.

And they add a third sort; those who make themselves eunuchs, abstain from marriage, etc., that they may give themselves Up to the study of the Divine law. See many examples in Schoettgen.

----------------------------

You were wrong. Admit it to yourself so that your spirit heals and don't be so quick to find fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.