Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 07:39 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Not so. There is a difference between your view of seeing the Bible as an idol, and those of many of us who see it as testimony pointing to Jesus and His command to love others as oneself. You've already admitted that you don't love homosexuals as yourself, because you've stated you wouldn't let a homosexual stand in your pulpit. That's not something you would deny yourself because of YOUR sin, now is it.

But yes, Bible idolatry is a type of paganism that I stand firmly against.
This is yet another example of bigotry. I do not see the BIble as an idol. You have been told that, yet you keep repeating that.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:58 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
This is yet another example of bigotry. I do not see the BIble as an idol. You have been told that, yet you keep repeating that.
But if Jesus was first in your life instead of the Bible, you wouldn’t deny a homosexual the right to stand in your pulpit nor disrespect him/her by walking out.

And not only does Jesus call for you to put others on an equal footing with yourself, so does Paul:
Quote:
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or empty pride, but in humility consider others more important than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. 5Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus:…
philipians 2:3-5
Quote:
Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.
Romans 12:10
And Peter:
Quote:
Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.
I Peter 2:17
Even if you consider homosexuals to be sinners you should understand that first century Jews saw the emperor as not only a sinner but one who would destroy their very lives. Peter says to HONOR him.

That’s how far you have drifted from Jesus if you ever knew Him at all. You simply let Bible verses of condemnation override those of acceptance. You love your Bible, but you sure don’t worship Jesus as your Lord. You love your own bigotry far too much.

And just this week I received an e-mail from a fundamentalist family who had been serving as missionaries in the Middle East. I gave them their very first donation to fund their journey. It was in Dallas about seven years ago. Met the wife in a Discount Tire store and we began to talk. They had four children with another in the oven. Now they have seven, two born in their mission country. All I know about the country is that it is geographically close to Tibet—-and Muslim. Why did I fund them? Because Jennifer talked about her desire to spread the love of Jesus somewhere—-they hadn’t even been selected for a language school at that point.

The husband, who is a physician was taken into custody and questioned for 24 hours. Their passports were taken for a week and finally returned with an order from the government that they had three days to leave the country for “fostering religious harm” on the citizens.

So I’m not the least interested in your “we’re poor, persecuted Christians” garbage. You know nothing of religious persecution while perpetually fostering the same on homosexuals in this country. Missionaries such as the ones I know should be trying to bring the love of God to your church. It’s too much Bible and not near enough Jesus.

I think we see a lot of your brand of Christian fostering religious harm on both citizens and the nation.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:14 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
471 pages now. Incredible. Anti-religion bigotry is popular here.
BaptistFundie, I'm asking this question specifically of you: are you willing to concede that nowhere in the Bible is same gender sex shown in a negative light other than in examples of pagan idolatry and temple prostitution?

If you are not willing to concede, would you then give actual scriptures that state unequivocally that 'homosexuality is a sin'? We can pretty much put an end to this 470+ page discussion right now if you care to answer the question with the truth, i.e. a response devoid of red herrings or misdirection.

Thank you.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:21 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
BaptistFundie, I'm asking this question specifically of you: are you willing to concede that nowhere in the Bible is same gender sex shown in a negative light other than in examples of pagan idolatry and temple prostitution?

If you are not willing to concede, would you then give actual scriptures that state unequivocally that 'homosexuality is a sin'? We can pretty much put an end to this 470+ page discussion right now if you care to answer the question with the truth, i.e. a response devoid of red herrings or misdirection.

Thank you.
They can't. So, don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.
If, they were to concede, their whole house would crumble.

Last edited by Jerwade; 12-01-2018 at 10:29 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 01:51 PM

23,149 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Not so. There is a difference between your view of seeing the Bible as an idol, and those of many of us who see it as testimony pointing to Jesus and His command to love others as oneself. You've already admitted that you don't love homosexuals as yourself, because you've stated you wouldn't let a homosexual stand in your pulpit. That's not something you would deny yourself because of YOUR sin, now is it.

But yes, Bible idolatry is a type of paganism that I stand firmly against.
The law and the prophets teach people to love others as they love theirselves, and just because a person believes in a system of rules does not mean he hates gay people if he wouldn't sit under a homosexual preacher, or even a woman for that matter, it does not equate to hating either. I doubt BF hates gay people, and his desire to be loyal to his own belief does not make him a hateful person.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:02 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
The law and the prophets teach people to love others as they love theirselves, and just because a person believes in a system of rules does not mean he hates gay people if he wouldn't sit under a homosexual preacher, or even a woman for that matter, it does not equate to hating either. I doubt BF hates gay people, and his desire to be loyal to his own belief does not make him a hateful person.
Address the Scripture verses and how those actions regarding women and homosexuals "fit" obedience to NT Scripture.

His brand of religion, and yours, causes much harm in society whether you hate anyone or not. And I accused him of bigotry, not hate. I think he is ignorant that such a view is perceived as hateful by homosexuals. So do you.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:45 AM

1,259 posts, read 564,562 times
Quote:
Address the Scripture verses and how those actions regarding women and homosexuals "fit" obedience to NT Scripture.

His brand of religion, and yours, causes much harm in society whether you hate anyone or not. And I accused him of bigotry, not hate. I think he is ignorant that such a view is perceived as hateful by homosexuals. So do you.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigot

especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Old 12-03-2018, 11:53 AM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigot

especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
Intolerance is the issue

Definition of intolerant
1 : unable or unwilling to endure
2a : unwilling to grant equal freedom of expression especially in religious matters
b : unwilling to grant or share social, political, or professional rights : BIGOTED

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intolerant

Old 12-03-2018, 11:53 AM

23,149 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:

Yeah that is what people do, they demonize others. You think his mentality is worse than yours? I have been called a bigot and a mysogynist for years now, and it doesn't matter if you are mother Teresa, If I think different, I should go to jail. I can spend my life doing good works and treating everyone with respect and love, but God forbid that I think different than you, you are so righteous, and it doesn't matter what you actually do or how you actually treat people because your thoughts are holy righteous and anyone who thinks different must be a racist, a bigot and a mysogynist, damn me to hell if I think different................

Old 12-03-2018, 01:22 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Yeah that is what people do, they demonize others. You think his mentality is worse than yours? I have been called a bigot and a mysogynist for years now, and it doesn't matter if you are mother Teresa, If I think different, I should go to jail. I can spend my life doing good works and treating everyone with respect and love, but God forbid that I think different than you, you are so righteous, and it doesn't matter what you actually do or how you actually treat people because your thoughts are holy righteous and anyone who thinks different must be a racist, a bigot and a mysogynist, damn me to hell if I think different................
Hmmmm.... Wonder why that is... Think it could be because you don't believe in equal rights for gay people, and think women should just be baby factories and cooks??? You aren't just called a bigot and misogynist. You are a bigot and misogynist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.