Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 07:05 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,823,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post

The intentions of a man's heart are deep waters, but a man of understanding draws them out.

Where do you get your understanding from?.(Please answer this with scripture) I quoted scripture and expounded upon it from where my understanding of spirit is at, that is all any of us can do. Your bible says not only to grow in grace of God(in other words grow in being gracious) but also in the knowledge/understanding of >>>>>> Jesus Christ. Nowhere in scripture does it say this is attained by bible believing, in agreeing with this statement, you've basically stunted your own growth.

For the Lord gives wisdom;from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.

Did not Jesus say out of our innermost being shall flow rivers of living water. It can be forgiven to think it is primarily flowing out of us, it's not, it is flowing within us to cause us to grow in wisdom and understanding

The words of the mouth are deep waters, but the fountain of wisdom is a rushing stream.
What does that have to do with “The Lamb Slain from the foundation of the World” and your assertion that it has nothing to do with blood?

Old 01-18-2019, 07:06 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,410,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Don’t blame me for your inability to defend your beliefs.
Quote:
Others understood what i was saying, how come you can't? Why do you rely on gotquestions and link it as often as you do when you cannot explain your own beliefs?.
It came across as plagiarism (as if he wrote it himself) because he didn't mention the two different sites.

(See posts 5768/5769 on Page 577)

Old 01-18-2019, 07:13 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,731,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What college? And community college and tech schools don't count.
A Southern Baptist College, now university, in Kentucky. Back when Southern Baptists allowed both liberal as well as conservative Bible professors. Our conservative professor taught the kind of Sunday School garbage you spout as “truth.”

The liberal one required us to use our brains to come to our own conclusions, writing papers that required scholarly citations regarding Hebrew, Greek, and cultural context.

When I took my first class (Introduction to the New Testamment) under him, it wasn’t two weeks before I stayed after class to tell him I didn’t believe 90% of what he was teaching but I intended to learn it better than any other student in class. He said, “Well, son, there’s still hope for you then.”

I came out with the highest grade in the class, but more importantly a new view on how to interpret Scripture and how to doubt fiercely what orthodoxy teaches to brainwash dupes into NOT thinking for themselves. Now SBC universities and seminaries have purged thought provoking professors from their ranks so indoctrination would be easier.

Look at you!!! Brainwashed without doing a lick of study or even reading about alternate viewpoints. You are a classic example of one caught in the Sin of Certainty.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That's because we actually believe the Bible.
No, you believe what you have been indoctrinated with via brainwashing. Those with little intellect or no desire to use it swallow orthodox views unquestioningly.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:20 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,350,979 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with “The Lamb Slain from the foundation of the World” and your assertion that it has nothing to do with blood?
Again, how is it some are understanding what i said, (whether they agree is another thing) and you can't?, the fault lies with you. I will tell you why too,a bad diet of eating everything off the menu at gotquestions.com.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:22 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,350,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It came across as plagiarism (as if he wrote it himself) because he didn't mention the two different sites.

(See posts 5768/5769 on Page 577)
I saw that Jerwade, and yet he's here demanding where does the way i understand scriptures come from.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:41 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,823,451 times
Quote:
Again, how is it some are understanding what i said, (whether they agree is another thing) and you can't?, the fault lies with you. I will tell you why too,a bad diet of eating everything off the menu at gotquestions.com.
That’s fine. I believe the term “Lamb Slain from the foundation of the World” has everything to do with blood, evidenced by a host of other scripture (and the entire book of Hebrews).

Isaiah 53

He was pierced through for our transgressions,
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him,
And by His scourging we are healed.

Matthew 26:28

“This is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins.” -Jesus

Hebrews 9:14

How much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Ephesians 1:7

In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Where are you getting that from? Can you provide scriptural support? The apostle Peter says this:

1 Peter 1:18-20 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 20 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.
For now I believe, loosely, in substitutionary atonement. But there are plenty of solid arguments that Jesus died to show us how to live a life of love. The alternative view cannot be dismissed by anyone wanting to know “truth” regardless of where it is. Dismissing other views is intellectually dishonest.

Quote:
God did not demand the death of Jesus. In the Gospel narratives it was the people who cried out, crucify, crucify! It was human injustice and sin that demanded Christ’s death. What God “demands” from all of us is love. Jesus chose to love, regardless of the cost, and that way of radical love in the midst of human sin inevitably led to him being unjustly condemned and killed by sinful humanity. As Daniel Migliore writes,

“ It was divine “necessity”—the necessity of God’s gracious and non-coercive love—that the love of God be fully expressed in all its vulnerability in Jesus Christ. It was human “necessity”—the necessity of the world order of our own making—that this one who mediated God’s forgiveness and inaugurated the reign of God characterized by justice, freedom, and peace should become the victim of our violence because he threatened the whole world of violence that we inhabit and will to God did not demand the death of Jesus.”
Flood, Derek, Healing the Gospel, A Radical Vision for Grace, Justice, and the Cross, Chapter 9, The Theology of the Cross, God’s Saving Act in the Midst of Human Injustice (e-book)

Derek Flood holds a master’s degree in Sytematic Theology from Graduate Theological Union.

Read the “other” side’s view before being so quick to condemn. Good arguments mellow orthodoxy in thinking people.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,239,011 times
Quote:
That’s fine. I believe the term “Lamb Slain from the foundation of the World” has everything to do with blood, evidenced by a host of other scripture (and the entire book of Hebrews).

Isaiah 53

He was pierced through for our transgressions,
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him,
And by His scourging we are healed.

Matthew 26:28

“This is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins.” -Jesus

Hebrews 9:14

How much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Ephesians 1:7

In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace.
Yep, spiritual kindergarten.

Not unlike the Aztecs carving out a virgin's heart and tossing her body into a volcano.

Fundies are stuck in a more primitive, barbaric time. Poor things.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:10 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,061,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
No, you believe what you have been indoctrinated with via brainwashing. Those with little intellect or no desire to use it swallow orthodox views unquestioningly.

Never gets old, does it? You just love harassing, yelling, screaming, biting, attacking, twisting.....

You seem to be a very angry person. I'm sorry for you. I really am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity