Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 11:17 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times

Advertisements

Here are my beliefs. What denomination, if any, do you think most closely matches where I am at? I was raised Baptist and still attend out of obligation to my family but I am at odds with a lot of the stances of the Baptist church as well as American Evangelicalism as a whole. I am wondering if I would feel at home in a more mainline denomination?

Theology

1) I believe in a triune God that manifests himself as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit

2) I believe that Jesus' sacrifice on the cross is atonement for our sins and salvation is through faith in Him

3) I believe that the Bible is the Word of God meant to be taken seriously, but not always literally

4) I believe that it's important to celebrate the feasts and rituals of the Church.

5) All humans are imperfect and commit sin, but Christ said to judge not and as Christians we should follow that example

6) Undecided on a literal hell

7) As far as the end times are concerned, I believe Christ when he said "no man knows the day." It's possible that the prophecies in Revelation were fulfilled in 70 AD when Rome sacked Jerusalem. I do not believe in the Rapture or any part of American dispensationalism and they should definitely not influence foreign policy.

Cultural

1) I believe in separation of church and state; strongly opposed to Dominionism or American Christian reconstructionism. Faith should be an individual choice and not one forced or promoted by the government

2) I vote Democrat and prefer to not be judged for doing so

3) On homosexuality, I support gay marriage. Whether or not one believes homosexual acts are sin is a matter of personal belief but the issue wasn't a priority for Jesus so I don't think it should be a priority for the Church

4) I believe social justice causes are more important than the culture war

5) Against war and nationalism; against the death penalty

6) I am pro-life except in specific circumstances

7) God is God of the whole world, not just America. God is more concerned with starving children in Africa and the massacre of people in the Middle East than he is with Kim Davis or gay Doritos.

8) God created our brains to be used and created science. Science helps us further understand the world that God created and should not be denied. I believe that evolution was God's method of bringing about the cosmos and that climate change is a real problem, the result of humanity abusing God's creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 11:20 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Here are my beliefs. What denomination, if any, do you think most closely matches where I am at? I was raised Baptist and still attend out of obligation to my family but I am at odds with a lot of the stances of the Baptist church as well as American Evangelicalism as a whole. I am wondering if I would feel at home in a more mainline denomination?

Theology

1) I believe in a triune God that manifests himself as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit

2) I believe that Jesus' sacrifice on the cross is atonement for our sins and salvation is through faith in Him

3) I believe that the Bible is the Word of God meant to be taken seriously, but not always literally

4) I believe that it's important to celebrate the feasts and rituals of the Church.

5) All humans are imperfect and commit sin, but Christ said to judge not and as Christians we should follow that example

7) As far as the end times are concerned, I believe Christ when he said "no man knows the day." It's possible that the prophecies in Revelation were fulfilled in 70 AD when Rome sacked Jerusalem. I do not believe in the Rapture or any part of American dispensationalism

Cultural

1) I believe in separation of church and state; strongly opposed to Dominionism or American Christian reconstructionism. Faith should be an individual choice and not one forced or promoted by the government

3) On homosexuality, I support gay marriage. Whether or not one believes homosexual acts are sin is a matter of personal belief but the issue wasn't a priority for Jesus so I don't think it should be a priority for the Church

7) God is God of the whole world, not just America. God is more concerned with starving children in Africa and the massacre of people in the Middle East than he is with Kim Davis or gay Doritos.

8) God created our brains to be used and created science. Science helps us further understand the world that God created and should not be denied. I believe that evolution was God's method of bringing about the cosmos and that climate change is a real problem, the result of humanity abusing God's creation.
Have you considered asking what is RIGHT instead of what you want? They might be 2 different things. There are a number of good denominations, but I could not say any of them would meet the criteria you've laid out.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:28 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Let me know when you find out, becuase I'm right there with you. I'm currently a practicing Catholic, although I don't feel the RCC really fits most of my beliefs. I would say that some liberal-to-mainline Protestant churches, such as Episcopal, United Methodist or United Church of Christ would fit your description.

Like you, I am pretty liberal on social issues with the exception of abortion. I am pro-life, but not for religious reasons.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:29 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:

Theology

7) As far as the end times are concerned, I believe Christ when he said "no man knows the day." It's possible that the prophecies in Revelation were fulfilled in 70 AD when Rome sacked Jerusalem. I do not believe in the Rapture or any part of American dispensationalism and they should definitely not influence foreign policy.

Cultural

Steer clear of American made-up Christianity for a start. They only started recently (as compared to the history of Christianity) and are way off base. Not surprising really, they just made it up to suit themselves. American-born Christianity denominations are young, immature, parochial and foolishly about politics-informing-belief instead of vice versa. The evolution deniers for a start, what a shower.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:30 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
If Canadian, sounds like the United Church would be a good fit.

From Mightyqueen801's descriptions, the Episcopalian Church might work for you, if American.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:50 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:

Theology

Cultural

Catholic.

If you want your fellow parishioners to be a bit like the Pope-a nonjudgmental man. And you get traditions plus more.

Stay away from the protestant religious right.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Catholic.

If you want your fellow parishioners to be a bit like the Pope-a nonjudgmental man. And you get traditions plus more.

Stay away from the protestant religious right.
The catholic church directly contrasts many of the values on that list. You do realize that, right?

Old 10-07-2015, 12:03 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The catholic church directly contrasts many of the values on that list. You do realize that, right?
Only on 3 out of 15.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Only on 3 out of 15.
I counted 4. But even 1 of them is enough -- if it's a hot-button issue, such as the homosexuality one.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:09 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Have you considered asking what is RIGHT instead of what you want? They might be 2 different things. There are a number of good denominations, but I could not say any of them would meet the criteria you've laid out.
He has decided what is RIGHT...

I would look at the Episcopalians. I believe they are in step with your understanding of truth.

Also, the United Church of Christ has a very realistic view of the world and humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity