Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2015, 07:03 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
There are actually several verses on healing , you need to work on your reading comprehension.
I'm more than open to learning, arleigh. I'd love to know which verses in the Bible specifically promise a cure to physical illness. Please tell us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 07:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Thank you, Hannibal. It's nice to know I've got at least one friend around here.

..snip...
I'm hurt, thrill. Pretty sure I extended my hand a year or two ago...

Old 11-09-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm hurt, thrill. Pretty sure I extended my hand a year or two ago...
Well, of course that was understood, Trout ol' buddy. Remember, I said "at least one" which means I've got more.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Well, of course that was understood, Trout ol' buddy. Remember, I said "at least one" which means I've got more.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
...verses in the Bible specifically promise a cure to physical illness.
It's actually more than verses...which tomorrow I could find them.
For the person that believes that Jesus only did things that his Father wanted him to do,
which he said a few times...and you look at his life, you clearly see the theme.
He was on a healing Mission.

There was not one person in his presence, far away, in a field or crawling in a crowd that did not get healed...
as in, turned away and not healed.

It was a life showing us that God's wish was for us to be healthy and healed...just ask.
On top of physical healings...emotional well-being by saying do not worry, do not fear,
give me your burdens,
cast you cares, be anxious for nothing...if you ask your earthly father
for bread would he give you a stone, think what your Heavenly Father would give you with all His riches.

This talk was throughout his life... he came for us to have abundant lives...don't worry about shelter, food clothing as the birds of the field don't.
What I get is trust the Father, rely on the Father and ask, believe and receive.

Now, NO ONE has to believe any of it!

If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.
Matthew 21:22

It's just the way the System has been made...the Power of Belief is one of the most powerful
forces in this Universe.
And he tried to get that thru our thick heads over and over...open up to your power.
And that nothing is what it seems, guys...paraphrase.

Not believing this stuff is fine. It works for you guys.
And believing it works for the rest of us.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 11-09-2015 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: tipos

Old 11-09-2015, 10:19 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
These signs fallow them that believe ,Mark 16;17, 18,
Matthew 4;23 & 9;35 = Jesus healing ministry.

Luke 9;4-11,
John 14; & 15;
Acts 28;8,
Laying hands on the sick and healing is very common in Holy Spirit filled churches .
Beside that, I have been fully involved in many services and other events God has done the miraculous things in people.
At 15, my son was laying hands and praying for the sick and injured and people were healed right there.
Spirit filled Christian does not manipulate God , he cooperates with God, and finds Gods will for the situation at hand.
It called obedience , something our heavenly Father expects, in a relationship .
Some folk are not healed for a great many reasons .
Even Jesus did not do many miracles in his own home town, because of their unbelief.
People can create in them self a mind set , especially if they have had an infirmity for very long, and more so if they are getting special attention for it. These are actually afraid of being healed and often won't even ask .
Think of it as some one on welfare or disability and getting free income out of it, and not wanting to let it go.
Other reasons are that the person has no intention of changing their ways, and going back to what caused the injury in the first place .

Why bless a man that has no gratitude.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:13 PM

I find a lot of wisdom in what you have explained, arleigh. I'd like to hear some other comments before I offer my thoughts.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:28 PM

205 posts, read 119,767 times
Quote:
=thrillobyte;41856082]James 5:14-15

Now let's make sure we've got this straight: the Bible is inerrant. That means that it is God talking DIRECTLY to humanity, not James. It is God Himself making this promise to men,

The language couldn't be more simple and direct and there's no smokescreen "context" that apologists can hide behind. It's an ironclad promise from God to His children that if His children pray to Him in faith, the person they are praying for will be cured and made well.

Down through 2000 years how many millions of Christians have done EXACTLY as the Lord commanded and prayed in faith only to see their beloved children die in misery and agony??????

Can there be any more convincing proof that the Bible is a fraud---that God DOES NOT keep His promises? Remember, if one promise in the Bible fails, then the whole Bible fails. It cannot be the Divine Word of God. It can be a good book for some helpful advice here and there like any other religious text, but it CANNOT be God's inspired Word, as fundamentalists love to claim.
My dear friend in Christ,

What first comes to mind when I read your post is your great sense of despair. I am TRULY sorry for what you feel.

There are a couple of critically important points your missing.

1st your bible version is not what the original bible said

James 5: 14-15 [Catholic Douay Bible] which predates the King James

James 5: 14-15 [14] Is any man sick among you? Let him bring in the priests of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. [15] And the prayer of faith shall save the sick man: and the Lord shall raise him up: and if he be in sins, they shall be forgiven him.

The healing refereed to here is FIRSTLY a "spiritual healing"; which takes precedence over a physical healing. A physical healing may also occur if God finds it to be also spiritually beneficial to that persons life.

What is being spoken of here is the Sacrament we Catholics term: "The last Rites"; and as a NORMAL part of this sacrament is Sacramental Confession [John 20:19-23]; a person so "anointed" would receive the same grace benefits of Sacramental Baptism: namely ALL past sins as well as the consequences for these sins would be forgiven and forgotten. That Soul should it not sin again before death would be "perfect" and go directly to heaven.

So a physical healing [although MANY occurred] was a secondary benefit.

2nd, Your understanding of this teaching is also [and understandably skewed to what YOU want]

While God HAS promised to answer all prayers; He has three options in doing so:

He can say "yes"

He can sat "no"

& and He can say "not now"

Isaiah 55: 8-10
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, says the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

We ought not expect God to ALWAYS do our will: Jesus Himself lived this fact:Matt.26: 42 "Again, for the second time, he went away and prayed, "My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, thy will be done."

God does what is best for our spiritual-well being

3rd. The Bible is a Catholic Book and it was fully authored by the end of the First Century. The ONLY Christian Church from the time of Christ until the 10th Centur my disciple.” [/color]
y is today's Catholic Church. Wycliffe was the 13th Century; Luther the 16th & and 17th Century and Calvin also the 17th Century.

A 4th point is not understanding the role of suffering in our lifes; caused by Original sin of Adam and Eve.

Take Up your Cross and Follow Me

Phil.2: 8 “And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross Luke.9 :23 And he said to all, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.Mark.8: 34 And he called to him the multitude with his disciples, and said to them, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. Luke.9: 23 And he said to all, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. Luke.14: 7 [color="Red"]Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me, cannot be MY disciple"

Knowing that your are currently deeply hurt I won't explain any further, unless asked too.

Know that you are in my prayers,
God Bless you,

Patrick

Old 11-10-2015, 04:56 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Now, an angel (messenger) from heaven appeared to Him, strengthening Him. And being in agony (extreme physical or mental suffering) He was praying very fervently; and His sweat became like drops of blood, falling down upon the ground.

The connection is to that of mentally; and physically, being worn out.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:00 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
You seem to assume that Christians overwhelmingly believe in an inerrant scripture. I really wish people would quit confusing Christianity with Fundamentalism. Do I need to draw you a Venn Diagram?

Quote:
James 5:14-15

Now let's make sure we've got this straight: the Bible is inerrant. That means that it is God talking DIRECTLY to humanity, not James. It is God Himself making this promise to men,

The language couldn't be more simple and direct and there's no smokescreen "context" that apologists can hide behind. It's an ironclad promise from God to His children that if His children pray to Him in faith, the person they are praying for will be cured and made well.

Down through 2000 years how many millions of Christians have done EXACTLY as the Lord commanded and prayed in faith only to see their beloved children die in misery and agony??????

Can there be any more convincing proof that the Bible is a fraud---that God DOES NOT keep His promises? Remember, if one promise in the Bible fails, then the whole Bible fails. It cannot be the Divine Word of God. It can be a good book for some helpful advice here and there like any other religious text, but it CANNOT be God's inspired Word, as fundamentalists love to claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity