Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:23 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
Sure there is, the fear of the Lord is to "hate evil." That's a loving fear. It also keeps us in awe and reverence of the power of the Lord. Sinful fear will lead us away from God, Loving fear will help us to cling to God, and run away from evil.
I am either in fear or love every moment of my life.
(Another way is saying i am every moment in either fear or faith.)
Those are the only two choices.
My love of god, my faith in god, casts out all fear.
If I "fear evil" then I am saying evil has more power than god.
And nothing has more power than god.

Also fear is a very dark dense emotion, and like attracts like.
Love (faith) is a very light high vibration, and like attracts like.
I am the one who draws the dark into my life by giving my attention to fear.
What I give my attention to INCREASES.

that is why it is so important to focus on what I WANT in my life, such as health, peace, harmony, prosperity, and not what I FEAR or DON'T WANT (evil, disease, attack, sickness, poverty,war). Because the universe responds to where I place my attention.

blessings
perfect love casteth out all fear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 10:34 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja
Amen.......

Old 02-04-2008, 11:43 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,218 times
God made the Sabbath for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Christian society has become much more lax concerning the idea of working on either the Sabbath or Sunday. When I was a kid, Sundays were a fantastic "lazy day" in which after-church activities generally consisted of reading, going visiting, napping, or playing. Obviously, some work needed to be done (feeding livestock, cooking, etc) and sometimes it was necessary to work on Sundays. It's not like I do a lot of work on Sundays, but it's a day for catching up on household work. I miss a good old-fashioned lay-around-do-nothing Sunday afternoon.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:12 PM

157 posts, read 624,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post

that is why it is so important to focus on what I WANT in my life, such as health, peace, harmony, prosperity, and not what I FEAR or DON'T WANT (evil, disease, attack, sickness, poverty,war). Because the universe responds to where I place my attention.

blessings
It seems that the op was referring to fearing God as to love and respect, be in awe of Him not the dark dense emotions of the other definition of fear. Since the scriptures uses both definitions it's clear to read it and know by the context in which it's used such as "fear God and give glory to Him"..."the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" "the fear of the Lord is to hate evil" these scriptural references are talking about awe, love, and a holy respect for God not the fear that we experience such as being anxious and fearful. That's the fear that 'perfect love casts out' as you stated in your above quote.

God Bless

Old 02-04-2008, 12:18 PM

479 posts, read 1,142,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post

blessings
I don't think so. There's a "holy fear" as well as a "sinful fear." Holy fear does indeed help us to be in awe of God. To be quite frank, the reason why there was sin to begin with is because there wasn't enough awe of God. I think the verse above is more so in reference to condemnation, as oppossed to awe of God. Ideally, there should be no fear of condemnation if one walks with the Lord.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
To no one in particular.

Pro 9:10 The fear (3374) of Jehovah is the beginning of wisdom; and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

H3374 יראה yir'âh yir-aw'
Feminine of H3373; fear (also used as infinitive); morally reverence: - X dreadful, X exceedingly, fear (-fulness)

Thus better rendered as

The reverence of Jehovah is the beginning of wisdom; and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

The church neglects to point this out as for millenia, fear has been the method of control of the church.

There should also be no fear of rejection or condemnation irrespective of our walk. Our natural fathers have the ability to forgive and love their offspring unconditionally (most anyway) so we as fallible folk should accept that Father's Love far surpasses what we espouse to our offspring.

Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

How do we walk according to the Spirit? Christ in us.

When can we know this? When the Father reveals it to us.

Did we always know this? No.

It is all about Him and not about us. If the Spirit of Christ holds no condemnation, it is fair to assume, there never was. Man teaches us otherwise. Whether we believe or not does not change who Christ is. In Him there is no condemnation. If Christ is the revelation of the Father's heart, then from whom does the condemnation come? Not God. Not Jesus. Can you guess?

Conviction is good, condemnation is not.

Blessings

Old 02-05-2008, 10:53 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
for millenia, fear has been the method of control of the church.

Blessings
Thank you for this! Very well-said, that fear is used by the church as a method of control.

Also fear is a method of control used by: governments, men abusing their wives, parents abusing their children, and others seeking to exercise "power over" others.

Those have nothing to do with the indwelling Christ, and living a life grounded in God's grace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity