Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 01:30 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The key word is IDEAL. Mature adults do not base their expectations and evaluations on unrealistic ideals.
Great so we agree that it is just silly and unrealistic for all of these folks to sit and pray thinking that some how some way their world peace prayer is just going to be magically answered.
Quote:
But we have been making the world a more peaceful place, despite the massive increases in population. The trend is hopeful and there is no evidence whatsoever that prayer has been ineffective.
Look at these stats: http://peacealliance.org/tools-educa...s-on-violence/

Quote:
The 20th century was one of the most violent periods in human history. An estimated 191 million people lost their lives directly or indirectly as a result of conflict, and well over half of them were civilians
Sorry but this is the world we live in. Praying is not going to change these stats. It will take a major paradigm shift among us to make this world a safer place for all. As the population rises so will the problems that contribute to violence around the globe. I can't imagine what the world will be like in 40 years when the population rises to over 9 Billion.

If the 20th century was one of the most violent periods in human history...can you just imagine what the stats will be at the end of the 21st century?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 03:34 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I'm searching for Satan. And babies to eat. Mmmmm...baby...the other white meat.
That is vile. It's not funny. Yuk. You are not funny. You are a miserable person who hangs out in a Christian forum more than most Christians do. Oh well, whatever!

Old 11-15-2015, 03:36 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,645 times
Quote:
No they are NOT correct. Peace is not an all-or-nothing proposition. That is why I mentioned the need for a valid measure of the degree of peace in the entire world. I am fairly certain that it would be trending upward. Expecting complete peace while certainly desirable is just silly and childish. More peace than conflict is achievable and we have achieved that to a large degree as a percentage of the entire human population.
Nicely put, Mystic. I have to wonder when people come around opposing peace. Good grief! I can't imagine a more pathetic way to spend one's time.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:46 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
That is vile. It's not funny. Yuk. You are not funny. You are a miserable person who hangs out in a Christian forum more than most Christians do. Oh well, whatever!
You can't be serious. I was obviously being sarcastic in the face of HushWhisper's paranoid accusations.

Let's lighten up out there.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:47 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
No they are NOT correct. Peace is not an all-or-nothing proposition. That is why I mentioned the need for a valid measure of the degree of peace in the entire world. I am fairly certain that it would be trending upward. Expecting complete peace while certainly desirable is just silly and childish. More peace than conflict is achievable and we have achieved that to a large degree as a percentage of the entire human population.
When humanity is comfortable with uncertainty, peace may be more relevant.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
There may be no gain (at least measurable) in feeling sorrow for the pain inflicted on the victims, their friends and families and fervently wishing/hoping/praying that such horror would end.

But nor do I see harm resulting from it. That sorrow and wishing/hoping/praying for change could well lead to plans of action - deeds which may yield concrete, measurable results.

I think it begins by filling bellies with food and minds with education. The next saint will be the person who invents a way for every person on the planet to access and interact with the internet on a cheap device, for free, or next to nada.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:58 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Come on, people. This post is so far from the original topic that it is hardly recognizable. Please get it back on topic.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:03 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
Nicely put, Mystic. I have to wonder when people come around opposing peace. Good grief! I can't imagine a more pathetic way to spend one's time.
Who is opposing peace? Do you think that prayer is the only way to cultivate peace?

The problem with Prayer is that is seeks to absolve Man of his responsibility. People did this in Paris - not gods. People chose to do this and are responsible for their actions. Let our thoughts and actions be with those who have suffered and leave prayers to the dark ages.

I am not religious but don't tell me where my good intent or prayer or good wishes are best utilized. Those who politicize their agenda on the shoulders of victims of tragedy are morally decrepit and have no business telling me mine.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:13 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Isn't religion what caused this incident in the first place? How is more religion going to help?

"Religion: offering hope in a world torn apart by religion." -- Jon Stewart

Last edited by Freak80; 11-15-2015 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: With apologies to Jon (not John).

Old 11-15-2015, 04:16 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Who is opposing peace? Do you think that prayer is the only way to cultivate peace?

The problem with Prayer is that is seeks to absolve Man of his responsibility. People did this in Paris - not gods. People chose to do this and are responsible for their actions. Let our thoughts and actions be with those who have suffered and leave prayers to the dark ages.

I am not religious but don't tell me where my good intent or prayer or good wishes are best utilized. Those who politicize their agenda on the shoulders of victims of tragedy are morally decrepit and have no business telling me mine.
Matadora, i think you are a very sincere intelligent person who makes very well thought out civil posts, you would be welcome at my house for a cup of tea and slice of cake any day of the week, even though we may see things differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity