Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 06:25 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

President Bush this week met with former prisoners at a center dedicated to helping individuals overcome addictions and reminded the audience that he understood their problems, and that faith helped him overcome the impossible.

“Addiction is hard to overcome. As you might remember, I drank too much at one time in my life," Bush told the crowd at the Jericho Episcopal Community Services of Maryland, recalling how he struggled with alcohol until he was 40 and found God.

Bush: Faith Can Help Addicts Overcome | Christianpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 06:10 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
There's one thing that irks me about these types of examples and story's. They always say "You need to find God to overcome this or overcome that." I think that, for most people, their belief in God is there just not expanded on. 85% of this country believes in God, but only a few of them may have "found" God. The difference, to me, is huge. It's one thing to say "Find God when you already believe in him - you're just not close." It's a complete other thing to say "Find God when you don't believe in him at all." The two are different. There are tons of people in this country who DO believe in God but just haven't "found" him. I suppose it means dedicating your life to God and Jesus and staying away from all the bad things. Well... it wouldn't do me a bit of good to go some place that advocated "finding God" because I don't believe in it in the first place. It would do nothing but irritate me.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:33 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
There's one thing that irks me about these types of examples and story's. They always say "You need to find God to overcome this or overcome that."
They don't precisely need to "find God" in order for recovery to work. The model of recovery entails that individuals rely on a "higher power" as a means by which they will relinquish their sense of self control (or lack, thereof) as regards their substance. Higher power can be loosely defined, or specifically defined. It's the process of recovery that is important, as well as what works for individuals who struggle with addiction/substance abuse.

For what it's worth, people have managed to overcome addiction, and remain in recovery without any belief in a higher power or god. While the spiritual aspects of recovery are certainly well in place, a nonbeliever would never be turned away.

Take gentle care.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
They don't precisely need to "find God" in order for recovery to work. The model of recovery entails that individuals rely on a "higher power" as a means by which they will relinquish their sense of self control (or lack, thereof) as regards their substance. Higher power can be loosely defined, or specifically defined. It's the process of recovery that is important, as well as what works for individuals who struggle with addiction/substance abuse.

For what it's worth, people have managed to overcome addiction, and remain in recovery without any belief in a higher power or god. While the spiritual aspects of recovery are certainly well in place, a nonbeliever would never be turned away.

Take gentle care.
No, I understand that June. Really, I think I do.

I was referring to the flagrant advertisement that "Look at what all these people did when they found God." Which is exactly why I felt the need to step in and say that I don't think it's necessarily because they "found God" at all. It just seems like more of a "God" advertisement to me than a "Recovery" advertisement. That's all.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:21 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:

It just seems like more of a "God" advertisement to me than a "Recovery" advertisement. That's all.
If advertising God leads people to recovery, I'm all for it. If recovery leads people to God, that works for me too.

So long as they are in recovery, I could care less how they got there. It's the staying there that counts. If a belief in god/higher power helps, I'm there!

Because ultimately, it's about getting one's life back. If belief in god facillitates that and keeps someone off alcohol or drugs, who am I to question?

Take gentle care.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:55 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
I suppose it means dedicating your life to God and Jesus and staying away from all the bad things.
No it's about finding power beyond yourself and surrendering to it, not following a set of rules. Beating an addiction takes something beyond your own abilities as you know it and that's the idea. If said persons could just "follow a set of rules" it would be simple...but the cry for help is "I can not stop this - help".

Quote:
We admitted we were powerless over alcohol--that our lives had become unmanageable.

Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
AA has helped millions based on that premise.

Quote:
Well... it wouldn't do me a bit of good to go some place that advocated "finding God" because I don't believe in it in the first place. It would do nothing but irritate me.
Well how about you let the other 85-90% live in peace and recovery and find your own solutions then?

Kudo's for Bush on this topic...

Old 02-02-2008, 09:12 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Most people do ask a recovered addict how they overcame the addiction..If the recovered person gives God the credit, then I accept that He did and will thank God for that.. and I will "silently" thank God for helping that person...I think I understand what Troop is getting at, though and I agree..I think a humble person gets more attention than one filled with pride and boastfullness

Old 02-03-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Most people do ask a recovered addict how they overcame the addiction..If the recovered person gives God the credit, then I accept that He did and will thank God for that.. and I will "silently" thank God for helping that person...I think I understand what Troop is getting at, though and I agree..I think a humble person gets more attention than one filled with pride and boastfullness
Thanks Blue, I do think you understand what I'm getting at. I'm not against people "finding God" in order to overcome addiction, but I don't think it's a necessary part of the process itself. If we're referring to "something higher" (not necessarily a God - perhaps inner strength?) than yes, I can understand that. If we're referring to "You need to go find the Christian God before you can fully overcome addiction" than that is what bothers me and that's what I see Bush touting it as. That's all I was saying.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:19 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:
Thanks Blue, I do think you understand what I'm getting at. I'm not against people "finding God" in order to overcome addiction, but I don't think it's a necessary part of the process itself. If we're referring to "something higher" (not necessarily a God - perhaps inner strength?) than yes, I can understand that. If we're referring to "You need to go find the Christian God before you can fully overcome addiction" than that is what bothers me and that's what I see Bush touting it as. That's all I was saying.
GCSTroop, I so enjoy your respect and honestly! That in it self shows me one who has good character and I have seen this a lot with you!!!
God Bless!!!

Old 02-08-2008, 12:36 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Twelve-step programs have been freeing people from addiction for a long long time now. It is a spiritual program, NOT RELIGIOUS, and works for anyone regardless of their spiritual background, faith, church, or religion. It works. "Finding God" is not enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity