Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 10:51 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,236,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That hypothesis would explain a lot of things. Yes.
It certainly does. Whatever you do to others, you do to God. We value the Creator as much as we value his Creatures and his Creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 11:33 PM

63,455 posts, read 39,713,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Not offended at all Shana, I reject your belief that all things includes evil on the basis God cannot think evil or consider using it to create a good out come. For your information Jesus rarely quoted the scriptures too, and when he did it was more towards correcting mis guided beliefs about the ways of God.

Jesus taught the higher thoughts and ways of God and those higher ways will continue to break down all resistance to the true nature and character of God (that even in this day and age mis guided beliefs about the true nature and character leads still many to fall away), until his thoughts and ways fully accomplishes that which they are sent out for...........that is for all men to be restored back to their true identity.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:23 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,081,105 times
Shana Brown, trettep and all of like mind(Lego I do not believe you are convinced) I appeal to you in the name of Jesus Christ how you see and justify the involvement of God in what we have just witnessed in Paris. No response would not surprise me . What is your opinion(not that I care for it) on the victims ?..

Old 11-15-2015, 07:46 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,900,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
If it was omnipotent and loving it would have been capable of stopping this terrorist outrage, so why didn't it? Some Christians will praise the deity if something good happens but not blame it when bad things happen, WHY?
Best way I can explain it is that we can only see things from our perspective. If we trust what God tells us in the Bible, then all things happen for good to those who love the Lord. This is hard to accept in the face of tragedy when all things are under the control of a sovereign God. Yet we are instructed to thank God for all things not just for the things that we can understand are good, and trust that in some way that we can't understand right now that it will work to good in our lives.

It seems that some people are fine when they first come to faith and things go well in their life; yet, when trials come up their love for God withers since they can't understand why God would put affliction in their life. This is the soil that Jesus speaks of which is thrown upon the rock and has no roots. God is all powerful and is loving, but one attribute which people don't like to talk about is that he is also just. Our understanding of what is fair is different from God's understanding because his way is not ours. His code of ethics is objectively depicted in the Bible whereas ours is grounded in subjectivity, what is best for all or some other subjective quality to our understanding.

This is a cursed world and tragedies will come upon those that live well along with those that do not. Those who believe upon Christ must live by faith and trust upon God's word, and not objective understanding of what happens all around us because most likely a lot of it won't make sense and will seem not fair. Most importantly, our eyes must be fixed most closely upon the next world and not this one; if Jesus is the most precious thing in the world to us, the trials and afflictions we face will not seem as devastating than if we have our treasures in earthen vessels. Then we can say, "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord."

Old 11-15-2015, 07:53 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,187,653 times
You cannot bury your head in the sand of man's religion to avoid the realities of negativity.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:17 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,330,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Unless God is within us, rather than outside of us. Then it's a different ball game.
Yes, and this is why God fails us when we are confronted with the life and death realities of the physical world. Because WE created God in our own image and we are fallible, with very little actual control over the physical realities of the physical world. Make believe can not protect us from physical harm.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:57 PM

18,191 posts, read 16,774,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Best way I can explain it is that we can only see things from our perspective. If we trust what God tells us in the Bible, then all things happen for good to those who love the Lord. This is hard to accept in the face of tragedy when all things are under the control of a sovereign God. Yet we are instructed to thank God for all things not just for the things that we can understand are good, and trust that in some way that we can't understand right now that it will work to good in our lives.

It seems that some people are fine when they first come to faith and things go well in their life; yet, when trials come up their love for God withers since they can't understand why God would put affliction in their life. This is the soil that Jesus speaks of which is thrown upon the rock and has no roots. God is all powerful and is loving, but one attribute which people don't like to talk about is that he is also just. Our understanding of what is fair is different from God's understanding because his way is not ours. His code of ethics is objectively depicted in the Bible whereas ours is grounded in subjectivity, what is best for all or some other subjective quality to our understanding.

This is a cursed world and tragedies will come upon those that live well along with those that do not. Those who believe upon Christ must live by faith and trust upon God's word, and not objective understanding of what happens all around us because most likely a lot of it won't make sense and will seem not fair. Most importantly, our eyes must be fixed most closely upon the next world and not this one; if Jesus is the most precious thing in the world to us, the trials and afflictions we face will not seem as devastating than if we have our treasures in earthen vessels. Then we can say, "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord."
This is just a long winded way of saying "The Lord works in mysterious ways so trust God when you get blown to smithereens in a terrorist bomb explosion and wind up deaf and blind and without any arms and legs"." In what universe does this horror "honor" God???

Nobody in their right mind would worship a God like that. Face it. God has nothing to do with tragic events and He certainly doesn't expect praise for such unspeakable horrors that visit us. It happens in the scheme of things; we live or we die. If we live through a bombing or a shooting we learn to live with whatever the consequences are and just say to ourselves, "That's the realities of life on this giant ball and when I die I'll be in a better place." That's deism, and it's a much better solution than wondering "Is this God or the devil at work in my life?" It's neither.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:28 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,303,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Yes, and this is why God fails us when we are confronted with the life and death realities of the physical world. Because WE created God in our own image and we are fallible, with very little actual control over the physical realities of the physical world. Make believe can not protect us from physical harm.
If you're expecting God to intervene and protect you from harm, that would be why you see it as a 'fail" when that doesn't happen.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:05 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,087,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
If the deity exists one wonders if it was sitting on its cloud rubbing its hands and getting off on the terrible events in Paris? If it was omnipotent and loving it would have been capable of stopping this terrorist outrage, so why didn't it? Some Christians will praise the deity if something good happens but not blame it when bad things happen, WHY?
The bible says it will rain on the just and unjust and many people have the right to wonder why many things happen. My fathers pastor was driving down the road and had a heart attack while driving and hit someone head on. He was probably already dead before he hit the person, but for a while I wondered why he couldnt have just died at home in his sleep rather than on the road and severely injur someone else and like just about any other bad situation Ive seen happen to good people, its just not for me to know why because im not in charge. Paris just like any other terrorist attack, we will never know why this is allowed other than evil in the hearts of people doing it.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:10 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,330,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
If you're expecting God to intervene and protect you from harm, that would be why you see it as a 'fail" when that doesn't happen.
I don't expect God to intervene in exactly the same way I don't expect presents from Santa. And for exactly the same reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity