Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 11:19 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I had this sudden question arise after reading the post about the church wanting place of birth on the membership application..

How many churches can I join? I mean, if I complete 40-50 applications,am I not a member of each church, and would I then not be counted multiple times as a "christian" at each church?

Which ultimately raises the question, how do we really know how many individual church members there really are??
There really is no way that "First Community Church" can know that "Second Community Church" also counts Brother Bill as a member. I meet with other pastors from my area, but we really don't talk about our members and who comes/goes.

One member of my church moved to a town an hour away. I drafted a letter stating she had been a member in good standing for her transfer to a new church (Baptist, I believe). She then withdrew her membership here. On the other hand, I have heard of a couple in my area that has been telling people she's a member of my church, but she's never been here. It's just one of those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 01:10 AM

389 posts, read 616,544 times
Membership in any organization is revocable if standards aren't met. In a church, it's called excommunication. I'd check the fine print to avoid any embarrassing announcements

Old 11-25-2015, 08:58 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETI_listener View Post
Membership in any organization is revocable if standards aren't met. In a church, it's called excommunication. I'd check the fine print to avoid any embarrassing announcements
I have quite an extensive list of places I have been excommunicated from..as Groucho said--

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:06 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
There really is no way that "First Community Church" can know that "Second Community Church" also counts Brother Bill as a member. I meet with other pastors from my area, but we really don't talk about our members and who comes/goes.

One member of my church moved to a town an hour away. I drafted a letter stating she had been a member in good standing for her transfer to a new church (Baptist, I believe). She then withdrew her membership here. On the other hand, I have heard of a couple in my area that has been telling people she's a member of my church, but she's never been here. It's just one of those things.
Most likely that is the case. I know the last mega church (over 6,000 "members") I went too (1989) had a membership committee that met twice a month to identify those who attended weekly and those who did not--assuming everyone filled out a tag for the collection plate of signed in for one of the 20 different classes held throughout the day on Sunday.

They would cross reference this sheet with previous sheets and then set out to send cards to those whose names were not showing up on a weekly basis to invite them back.

The church also kept a running total of "regular" attendees (these were "members") and sporadic attendees that came by a few times a month. They could would publish this number every Sunday morning and it was always a "joyous" announcement when the number increased and a quite reflective moment when the number dropped--as it was the Church and the "members" who either brought more people in or chased a few out the door.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Most likely that is the case. I know the last mega church (over 6,000 "members") I went too (1989) had a membership committee that met twice a month to identify those who attended weekly and those who did not--assuming everyone filled out a tag for the collection plate of signed in for one of the 20 different classes held throughout the day on Sunday.

They would cross reference this sheet with previous sheets and then set out to send cards to those whose names were not showing up on a weekly basis to invite them back.

The church also kept a running total of "regular" attendees (these were "members") and sporadic attendees that came by a few times a month. They could would publish this number every Sunday morning and it was always a "joyous" announcement when the number increased and a quite reflective moment when the number dropped--as it was the Church and the "members" who either brought more people in or chased a few out the door.
I've seen it in a number of little churches like mine, but the treasurer does a count of attendance and then posts the number, last week's attendance, and the amount of the offering. I think it's a good thing for the people to know how much was taken in by the offering. Financial accountability is a good thing -- and it's why we post our treasurer reports in the back of the church.

As for that other church, I think that's great. I've seen people come and go from churches that large and no one notices. They feel like they fall through the cracks and no one cares because it's easy to get lost in a big crowd.

Last edited by Vizio; 11-25-2015 at 10:39 AM..

Old 11-25-2015, 11:07 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,611,869 times
Did Jesus take attendance?

Old 11-25-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
The apostles did. And he didn't tell them not to.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:40 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Maybe some quick math in his head before he passed around the fish and loaves. (Since he had a Jewish mother he knew about left-overs. )

Old 11-25-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Maybe some quick math in his head before he passed around the fish and loaves. (Since he had a Jewish mother he knew about left-overs. )
Cute. I repped you for that one.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:52 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Cute. I repped you for that one.
Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Viz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity