Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2016, 08:08 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,875,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth777 View Post
I believe it all, 100%. We love Jesus. Love is more Important to us than following antichrists teachings,,and Jesus does have some good teachings. We love Jesus, and are with him, especially when Antichrist turns on him.
How did you become convinced this is what you should believe in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 08:27 PM

225 posts, read 111,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
How did you become convinced this is what you should believe in?
I always believed in Jesus and his teachings and the cross.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I always believed in Jesus and his teachings and the cross.
You mean you were not taught? It just came on you without an outside influence?

Old 06-23-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
You mean you were not taught? It just came on you without an outside influence?
Oh, no. Sorry about the confusion, but I was taught it as a kid, growing up in the catholic church, at Caticism. Catholics love Jesus.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Oh, no. Sorry about the confusion, but I was taught it as a kid, growing up in the catholic church, at Caticism. Catholics love Jesus.
Do you think that if you grew up, say in the Middle East, that you would have been taught to be a Muslim (or maybe a Jew if in Israel)? In other words, do you feel culturally you were taught the Catholic (Christian) teachings and would another culture have influenced you differently?

Old 06-24-2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Do you think that if you grew up, say in the Middle East, that you would have been taught to be a Muslim (or maybe a Jew if in Israel)? In other words, do you feel culturally you were taught the Catholic (Christian) teachings and would another culture have influenced you differently?
Well, I knew the teachings, but haveing freewill, I didn't apply them being young, until they had real meaning and I saw how they were right and were true. Its my book in life, my journey. So, maybe I would have seen the truths regardless, at some time, because they are true.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Correct. What makes you think a picture or a statue can do something, we don't. Haveing a picture of your mother does not mean your mother is right there having a conversation with you so why would you keep a picture of her?
Amen. The statues and crucifixes just help for imagination purposes. Imagination is a god given right and talent.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Well, I knew the teachings, but haveing freewill, I didn't apply them being young, until they had real meaning and I saw how they were right and were true. Its my book in life, my journey. So, maybe I would have seen the truths regardless, at some time, because they are true.
As you may be aware, I am an atheist, however, I went to a Catholic school and had nuns and even a priest as teachers. I became more convinced that faith does not trump facts that are able to be falsifiable, which is the basis of science and reason. When I went on to university, and took comparative religious studies as my minor.

Those courses showed me more and more that religions are man made, and not divinely inspired at all. They reflected the cultures of the time and place that they were developed. As such, we have Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, Shintos, Meso-American, African tribal and a plethora of other world views developed, practiced and promulgated. All of these reflect the culture of the area. So for all of these world views, what is true for them is the truth, even if it differs from yours.

How do you reconcile this?

Old 06-24-2016, 02:14 AM

[quote=cupper3;44527012]As you may be aware, I am an atheist, however, I went to a Catholic school and had nuns and even a priest as teachers. I became more convinced that faith does not trump facts that are able to be falsifiable, which is the basis of science and reason. When I went on to university, and took comparative religious studies as my minor.

How are these facts able to be falsifiable?

Those courses showed me more and more that religions are man made, and not divinely inspired at all. They reflected the cultures of the time and place that they were developed. As such, we have Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, Shintos, Meso-American, African tribal and a plethora of other world views developed, practiced and promulgated. All of these reflect the culture of the area. So for all of these world views, what is true for them is the truth, even if it differs from yours.

Churches and religions are not man made. If some are, they could be right in their own way. In how they choose to see it. And I don't care if world religions differ from views of the catholic church, they may be right in their own way, and can still be good people, but have slightly different views. So what. Doesn't bother Me,just don't try to force anything on me.

Last edited by Sephiroth777; 06-24-2016 at 02:21 AM.. Reason: If

Old 06-24-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
How are these facts able to be falsifiable?
It refers to how to test a theory, hypothesis or statement.

From Wikipedia:
The concern with falsifiability gained attention by way of philosopher of science Karl Popper's scientific epistemology "falsificationism". Popper stresses the problem of demarcation—distinguishing the scientific from the unscientific—and makes falsifiability the demarcation criterion, such that what is unfalsifiable is classified as unscientific, and the practice of declaring an unfalsifiable theory to be scientifically true is pseudoscience.
And:
Judge William Overton used falsifiability in the McLean v. Arkansas ruling in 1982 as one of the criteria to determine that "creation science" was not scientific and should not be taught in Arkansas public schools as such (it can be taught as religion). The argument was presented by philosopher, Michael Ruse, who defined the characteristics which constitute science as explanatory, testable, and tentative; the latter of the three being another term for falsifiability.[8] In his conclusion related to this criterion Judge Overton stated that "[w]hile anybody is free to approach a scientific inquiry in any fashion they choose, they cannot properly describe the methodology as scientific, if they start with the conclusion and refuse to change it regardless of the evidence developed during the course of the investigation."

United States law also enshrined falsifiability as part of the Daubert Standard set by the United States Supreme Court for whether scientific evidence is admissible in a jury trial.

Quote:
Churches and religions are not man made. If some are, they could be right in their own way. In how they choose to see it. And I don't care if world religions differ from views of the catholic church, they may be right in their own way, and can still be good people, but have slightly different views. So what. Doesn't bother Me,just don't try to force anything on me.
If religions are not man-made, why is there such a plethora of them, and all the variations within? Morality is not defined by religion, but by cultures and the humans that live in them. Certainly no Catholic I know of today thinks that the Inquisitions were moral, but the Catholic church certainly ordained them to be at the time. That kind of fluidity in what is dogma can only come from humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity