Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 11:35 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornincali View Post
JJ_Maxx

I see no evidence of that. Check his faith statement.

I don't think it is fair to hold this ancient text to the rigors of modern science. So can the Bible be wrong. I think he would say "taken literally, absolutely"

You cannot escape this fact. Christians would do a lot better to admit this than to continue to, well, lie, because for one that should be against their faith. It certainly bothers my conscience.
If the 'ancient text' were not superintended by an Almighty Creator God, I might agree with you, but it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 11:47 AM

371 posts, read 337,642 times
So you are saying that because the Almighty Creator God wrote it-it is infallible?

What of all this evidence? Why is every creationist argument(and this has become an unfortunate quest of mine to find a legitimate one) cloaked in lies or misunderstanding? I left Christianity partly because I was so embarrassed and guilty to be denying what you and every other human being can crush between your very fingertips for some pie in the sky(that was very very real to me...but still).

Old 11-25-2015, 11:53 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,958,660 times
Quote:
Just for ****s and giggles I went back to the original article expecting a typo. Instead I find this.
-
Evolution, as defined by Helena Curtis and N. Sue Barnes in their textbook, “Biology,” is “any change in the frequency of alleles within a gene pool from one generation to the next.”
-
Jesus Eusebius, can you even read and interpret one complete sentence?
First of all, my first name is not Jesus.

I fail to see the problem. I quoted the quotes exactly as they were on the internet.

The point is that your stupid writer whom you linked to said Helena Curtis and N. Sue Barnes stated that:

"“Biology,” is “any change in the frequency of alleles within a gene pool from one generation to the next.”

Your stupid writer put "biology" in quotes and the rest of the sentence in quotes as if, when joined, come directly from Curtis and Barnes. However, your stupid writer misquoted them. They actually wrote about "Evolution" is "any change . . . ," not "Biology."

Old 11-25-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
So you are saying that because the Almighty Creator God wrote it-it is infallible?

What of all this evidence? Why is every creationist argument(and this has become an unfortunate quest of mine to find a legitimate one) cloaked in lies or misunderstanding? I left Christianity partly because I was so embarrassed and guilty to be denying what you and every other human being can crush between your very fingertips for some pie in the sky(that was very very real to me...but still).
And so you post a link to a liar. Wow, that's rich. Are you going to leave evolution religion too since they lie through their teeth?

Old 11-25-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Because he absolutely did not 'reconcile' Christianity and evolution as the origin of life. He glossed over the fact that it completely contradicts the Scripture, citing only that the Scripture was incorrect in its teachings. If anything, this author abandons Christianity and accepts Scientism as his lord and savior.

Sad really.
Exactly. Why should we Christians meld our truths with another anti-God religion filled with lies such as evolution?

The Bible says God created, in a day, the animals of the water and the flyers. Then, on the sixth day he created the land animals and Adam. These are not million year days as some suggest. God ceased on the 7th day and required Israel to cease work on the 7th day. The 7th day doesn't last millions of years. Israel was not required to cease all work for millions of years.

Evolution can't possibly be wedded to Christianity and any Christian who says it can is very naive. That would be like Israel going after false gods.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:06 PM

Eusebius.

That is the textbook name. Durr.

Nevertheless, that is a minor point. The major point that I'd like to hone in on is.

Misrepresenting evolution is lying. Denying fossil evidence is lying. Lying is against your faith(and my belief system too!) Using any of those arguments he listed and more is twisting the truth and lying.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:14 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,707,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
And so you post a link to a liar. Wow, that's rich. Are you going to leave evolution religion too since they lie through their teeth?
Difference being is that your lie is driving young people AWAY from christianity--not towards it--but you continue your lie anyway.

Something coming from God ATTRACTS people. That's why fundamnmentalism isn't attracting droves to it's side.

Quote:
---the study managed to isolate six main reasons why Millennials (age 18-29) tend to leave Christian churches as they grow up: a sense that young adults were receiving an unsatisfying or “shallow” version of Christianity, feelings that the church was overprotective, the perception of judgmental attitudes around sex and sexuality, churches’ unfriendliness to members grappling with doubt, the sense that Christianity was too exclusive, and finally, the tense relationship between Christianity and science.
Millennials Leave Their Churches Over Science, Lesbian & Gay Issues

What you fail to grasp is that the proper spiritual message is inside all of us--but has to be drawn out. Your views aren't doing that--and it's why you can say you are a believer--but your practice of driving people FROM faith proves the opposite.
Quote:
Findings of the Millennial Values Survey, a joint survey of the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI), and Georgetown University's Berkley Center for Religion, Peace & World Affairs, indicate that many of the youngest millennials - members of the so called "millennial generation" - are leaving their childhood faith and ending up mostly unaffiliated.

Around one quarter of respondents said they don't identify with any religion, more than twice the 11 percent raised in households without any particular faith.
Study: Millennials Rejecting Religious Doctrine

They aren't LEAVING the faith per se. They are leaving stupid teaching by people claiming to be christian.

Belief in "God" remains high in the U.S. But nobody with any brains at all is going to a backward, judgmental, anti-science faith. Exactly what St. Augustine predicted would happen if foolish christians tried to present Christ from a Bible where they rejected what could be seen in nature around them.

I began making my own leap from fundamentalism into faith back in a SBC college in the early seventies. Then SBC schools allowed real professors to teach what science was discovering. Now they are limited to emphasis on creationism and making up stories to tie it to a "literal" Genesis.

If creationsim were right--it would be hard-wired in us to accept. It is not--and that's why it has no appeal.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:19 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Because he absolutely did not 'reconcile' Christianity and evolution as the origin of life. He glossed over the fact that it completely contradicts the Scripture, citing only that the Scripture was incorrect in its teachings. If anything, this author abandons Christianity and accepts Scientism as his lord and savior.

Sad really.
For approximately the 4,378th time:

Evolution has nothing (nada, zip, rien) to do with the origin of life.

That fundamentalists continue to trumpet this BS only proves how deep is the pool of their ignorance and how hard they work at maintaining it.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:31 PM

Warden: Thank you. I think had I have met the right people at the right time I might still be Christian. Hard tell. It weighed on my conscience too much to continue. Throwing the whole thing in the trashcan and being done with it made a lot more sense than reconciling what I was hearing these people say about facts and what the 10 commandments tell them they should do.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:35 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,812,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Difference being is that your lie is driving young people AWAY from christianity--not towards it--but you continue your lie anyway.
This brings to mind this quote.

Quote:
"What harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie for the sake of the good and for the Christian church...a lie out of necessity, a useful lie, a helpful lie, such lies would not be against God, he would accept them."
--- Martin Luther
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity