Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:37 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Could be, we're merely in different museums
Which would be a shame, as I hear the music best when beholding art...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 07:48 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Which would be a shame, as I hear the music best when beholding art...

Hey, why the sad face. Could be the same music you know.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Hey, why the sad face. Could be the same music you know.
June viewing Jackson Pollock drip paintings = louder music.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
June viewing Jackson Pollock drip paintings = louder music.

Let's dance

Old 02-10-2008, 09:18 AM

Default And thus it began...

Quote:
Let's dance

//www.city-data.com/forum/1634822-post20.html

"Has continued to stay with me, albiet, almost hauntingly, ever since..."

Yup.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
//www.city-data.com/forum/1634822-post20.html

"Has continued to stay with me, albiet, almost hauntingly, ever since..."

Yup.

Seems there is something greater than the sum of all art.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Seems there is something greater than the sum of all art.
When I stand before a painting where the artist has managed to make the unconscious conscious and behold that in awe; when I am so in touch with my soul as to be capable of creating something; when I am thereby in the process of loving in such a way that I am rapturously connected to all that "is;" when I am able to find my self in engulfing silence; when I angst in the longing only to be consumed by, and within it; when I metaphorically stand on the edge of a cliff anticipating the free fall...

Last edited by june 7th; 02-10-2008 at 11:03 AM..

Old 02-10-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
When I stand before a painting where the artist has managed to make the unconscious conscious and behold that in awe; when I am so in touch with my soul as to be capable of creating something; when I am thereby in the process of loving in such a way that I am rapturously connected to all that "is;" when I am able to find my self in engulfing silence; when I angst in the longing only to be consumed by, and within it; when I metaphorically stand on the edge of a cliff anticipating that free fall...
PREACH !!

that's beautiful. inspiring.

and you call yourself an atheist?

maybe your not ready for "theist", but atheist doesn't seem to cut it.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
PREACH !!

that's beautiful. inspiring.

and you call yourself an atheist?

maybe your not ready for "theist", but atheist doesn't seem to cut it.

Ok. I'm back to my senses now.

But that was beautiful

Old 02-10-2008, 09:59 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,414 times
Quote:
Describing faith, is similar to describing a peice of art.
Although I much prefer to use my own words on this forum, I'm no artist, and my words seem to amuse you.
So try this on for size.
Rest assured your words don't amuse me. They make me go because what you are describing (and I'm trying to understand it) really makes no sense to me. Like the example where you found knowledge easier than belief or faith... I just don't see how that's possible. That's why I asked for explanations.

Mind you, I graduated from a super exclusive, extremely theory heavy architecture college so I understand the power of language and expression in describing artistic creations. I was my fellow students' and professors' nightmare because I insisted on breaking down flowery language to determine if made sense or if it was being allowed to skate by because it's pretty language. When something didn't make sense to me there was no language pretty enough to mask the senselessness, however if someone could make sense of it for me then I was fully on board with the idea.

Quote:
Cathechism of the Catholic Church
Quote:
158 "Faith seeks understanding": it is intrinsic to faith that a believer desires to know better the One in whom he has put his faith, and to understand better what He has revealed; a more penetrating knowledge will in turn call forth a greater faith, increasingly set afire by love. The grace of faith opens "the eyes of your hearts" to a lively understanding of the contents of Revelation: that is, of the totality of God's plan and the mysteries of faith, of their connection with each other and with Christ, the center of the revealed mystery. "The same Holy Spirit constantly perfects faith by his gifts, so that Revelation may be more and more profoundly understood." In the words of St. Augustine, "I believe, in order to understand; and I understand, the better to believe."
In essence, one must already believe and want to believe in order to acquire belief, faith and understanding. Seems circular to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity