Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 11:37 AM

4 posts, read 3,385 times

Advertisements

One of the points for me is that ISIS is literally practising stuff that is in the Quran — and in the Bible. When Christians and Jews read the Scriptures do they just not see the passages with graphic visuals the way I do? I dunno. I can’t see how they could stomach it otherwise. Or call it a Holy book and a template for human behaviour.

The fact that a couple of billion people in the world seem to think that the slaughter of captives, including women and children as described in the Bible is all right as long as God commanded it, really bothers me. Because of that, I put together this spoken word/visual and put it up on Youtube Friday night. The visuals are largely courtesy of ISIS. I don’t want to look but can’t look away either. Maybe in part it is because I am from Europe that has been through so many stupid religious wars (among Christians), and is now being flooded with refugees from yet another holy war (among Muslims), that I feel so involved.

Submission to authority is one of the fundamental tenets of the Abrahamic faiths. All religious people are potentially dangerous when they put their reason and compassion aside and submit their will to those who claim to speak for God.

Hold onto your stomach if you decide to click the link below (go to full screen). And you should know that I took out the very worst stuff.

I would appreciate any feedback, and I am prepared to quote scripture for anyone who doesn't believe that pretty well all the atrocities that ISIS is committing are condoned in the Bible.

Ed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ubInIW71S4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 11:50 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual Agnostic View Post
One of the points for me is that ISIS is literally practising stuff that is in the Quran — and in the Bible. When Christians and Jews read the Scriptures do they just not see the passages with graphic visuals the way I do? I dunno. I can’t see how they could stomach it otherwise. Or call it a Holy book and a template for human behaviour.

The fact that a couple of billion people in the world seem to think that the slaughter of captives, including women and children as described in the Bible is all right as long as God commanded it, really bothers me. Because of that, I put together this spoken word/visual and put it up on Youtube Friday night. The visuals are largely courtesy of ISIS. I don’t want to look but can’t look away either. Maybe in part it is because I am from Europe that has been through so many stupid religious wars (among Christians), and is now being flooded with refugees from yet another holy war (among Muslims), that I feel so involved.

Submission to authority is one of the fundamental tenets of the Abrahamic faiths. All religious people are potentially dangerous when they put their reason and compassion aside and submit their will to those who claim to speak for God.

Hold onto your stomach if you decide to click the link below (go to full screen). And you should know that I took out the very worst stuff.

I would appreciate any feedback, and I am prepared to quote scripture for anyone who doesn't believe that pretty well all the atrocities that ISIS is committing are condoned in the Bible.

Ed
The point really needs to be made that Christianity does not teach that God is commanding anyone to go and kill anyone. He specifically promised a land to Abraham, and he led the Jewish people to that land. It was their land before they went into Egypt, and it was their land after they came out of Egypt. ISIS is not justified in their attacks because the Bible teaches it. The Bible does NOT teach it for anyone alive today. It records the events of what happened -- it does not command anyone to go and do it now.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:18 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The point really needs to be made that Christianity does not teach that God is commanding anyone to go and kill anyone. He specifically promised a land to Abraham, and he led the Jewish people to that land. It was their land before they went into Egypt, and it was their land after they came out of Egypt. ISIS is not justified in their attacks because the Bible teaches it. The Bible does NOT teach it for anyone alive today. It records the events of what happened -- it does not command anyone to go and do it now.
Nonetheless, conservative Christians believe that all non-Christains deserve to be punished and killed by the Christian God, unless they convert. So the attitude is exactly the same as it is in ISIL.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:19 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Quote:
Is that not just how one interprets scripture?
Just as some say the OT laws are null and void, then others will claim "these" laws are still in effect, then others say only the anti-LGBTQ laws are in effect.

Some say LOVE is the ticket, others proclaim REPENTANCE and self-hate will get god's attention.

Some say I am right, others claim they are right.

Perspective is everything, is it not?

Old 11-24-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Is that not just how one interprets scripture?
Just read it in context. It's really not that complicated.
Quote:

Just as some say the OT laws are null and void, then others will claim "these" laws are still in effect, then others say only the anti-LGBTQ laws are in effect.
There is no OT Law that tells anyone to kill a Canaanite. Do you realize that? Even if you want to argue that the OT Mosaic Law is still in effect, nowhere in that Mosaic Law does it command a Jew to kill a Canaanite.

The specific commands to go in and take possession of the land were a very specific set of commands given to a very specific set of people.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Nonetheless, conservative Christians believe that all non-Christains deserve to be punished and killed by the Christian God, unless they convert. So the attitude is exactly the same as it is in ISIL.
The Bible does teach that we are all sinners -- and that God will judge us after death. There are zero verses telling Christians to go and speed up the process or make that death come quicker. So no--it is nothing like ISIS. On the contrary, we are told to love, not kill.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:26 PM

4 posts, read 3,385 times
There are several passages in the Bible where God explicitly commands the extermination of women and children. Not a good template for behaviour, I would say.

“In the cities of these peoples that the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, you shall not leave alive anything that breathes. But you shall utterly destroy them, the Hittite and the Amorite, the Canaanite and the Perizzite, the Hivite and the Jebusite, as the Lord your God has commanded you,” Deut. 20.16

“Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.” 1 Samuel 15. 2

Old 11-24-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual Agnostic View Post
There are several passages in the Bible where God explicitly commands the extermination of women and children. Not a good template for behaviour, I would say.

“In the cities of these peoples that the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, you shall not leave alive anything that breathes. But you shall utterly destroy them, the Hittite and the Amorite, the Canaanite and the Perizzite, the Hivite and the Jebusite, as the Lord your God has commanded you,” Deut. 20.16

“Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.” 1 Samuel 15. 2
Have you read the context of them? Who was God speaking to?

If I wrote a love letter to my wife and you intercepted it, do you believe you'd be correct in taking the statements I made to my wife as statements I'm making to you? NO! You wouldn't...because it wasn't written to you.

God hasn't given me any land as an inheritance, and he hasn't told me or anyone alive today to go and wipe out the different "ites" currently living there.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:42 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Have you read the context of them? Who was God speaking to?

If I wrote a love letter to my wife and you intercepted it, do you believe you'd be correct in taking the statements I made to my wife as statements I'm making to you? NO! You wouldn't...because it wasn't written to you.

God hasn't given me any land as an inheritance, and he hasn't told me or anyone alive today to go and wipe out the different "ites" currently living there.
Use all the weasely, "slick" apologetics you want but the plain fact is the god you worship is a mass-murderer who makes Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin and ISIS look like boy scouts.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Use all the weasely, "slick" apologetics you want but the plain fact is the god you worship is a mass-murderer who makes Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin and ISIS look like boy scouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity