Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 06:45 AM

689 posts, read 492,957 times

Advertisements

I am of the opinion that the sort of person you are is much more important than the faith you espouse. If you try to help others less fortunate than yourself that is much more to be prized than worshipping a deity which more than likely either doesn't exist, or not as the human imagination represents it. Yes there are a lot of fantastic Christians who do a lot to help others in a practical way, just as there are many non believers who do so too. What gets me is the ones who run off at the mouth about their faith but do nothing worthwhile with their lives, what is the point?

I realise as a non believer and challenger of those more extreme Christians who think the, 'you must be 'saved', abusive dogma has credibility, I am seen as a heathen bound for hell! However, although I am far from being any kind of saint, nor would I wish to be, I try to do my bit to help others as that is part of me being me. When my husband and I were kids planning our marriage in 1969, we decided that after we had our own children we would adopt a child less fortunate than our own, as we felt we had something to offer such a child. As it turned out after we had our three birth children we eventually adopted two lads with special educational needs, one has Down's Syndrome. We also fostered a teenage boy also with Down's Syndrome. It could be quite hard work, but rewarding. We felt we had made a difference and that made our lives worthwhile.

As far as I am concerned deeds are much more important than words, faith or no faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 07:08 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,803,693 times
I agree. Christianity is the Goat Religion that Jesus warned about.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:28 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,074,720 times
One good deed is worth more than a thousand bible quotes.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:00 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,126,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
I am of the opinion that the sort of person you are is much more important than the faith you espouse. If you try to help others less fortunate than yourself that is much more to be prized than worshipping a deity which more than likely either doesn't exist, or not as the human imagination represents it. Yes there are a lot of fantastic Christians who do a lot to help others in a practical way, just as there are many non believers who do so too. What gets me is the ones who run off at the mouth about their faith but do nothing worthwhile with their lives, what is the point?

I realise as a non believer and challenger of those more extreme Christians who think the, 'you must be 'saved', abusive dogma has credibility, I am seen as a heathen bound for hell! However, although I am far from being any kind of saint, nor would I wish to be, I try to do my bit to help others as that is part of me being me. When my husband and I were kids planning our marriage in 1969, we decided that after we had our own children we would adopt a child less fortunate than our own, as we felt we had something to offer such a child. As it turned out after we had our three birth children we eventually adopted two lads with special educational needs, one has Down's Syndrome. We also fostered a teenage boy also with Down's Syndrome. It could be quite hard work, but rewarding. We felt we had made a difference and that made our lives worthwhile.

As far as I am concerned deeds are much more important than words, faith or no faith.
Yes--God has instructed us to help others. Christians will show the love of God for others. If we claim to be a Christian and ignore the person in need? We are likely just posing.

But having said that, Jesus did tell us to go out and preach the Gospel, making disciples of all nations. That was a direct order given to the church. It's not enough to simply be nice to people, feed, clothe them, and let them go to hell. Jesus said that we need to also be concerned for their souls.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:20 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,070,729 times
Quote:

Me too.

It's real easy to tell someone, "Here's what you must believe or you're going to hell."

Meanwhile.... poverty and hunger affect over 45 million people in the U.S. alone, kids are living in motel rooms with hookers working out of the room next to them, and 22 United States veterans take their lives every.single.day. It's hard work to help them.

But, I'd wager that the vast majority of people who think they're doing something for others by saying, "I believe this. You should too or you're going to hell." sleep pretty well at night. Because they do a bang up job of telling themselves, and each other, they're right.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:36 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,595,488 times
It is a bankrupt soul that tells the poor and hungry they are going to hell. The poor and hungry already know hell.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:57 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,070,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
It is a bankrupt soul that tells the poor and hungry they are going to hell. The poor and hungry already know hell.
This.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:01 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,126,831 times
Quote:
You don't think poor people need to have their sins forgiven?

I'm not suggesting we just preach to the poor -- we should do our best to help meet their needs. But we should not stop at just their physical needs.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:02 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,078,580 times
Quote:

So your boasting about all the "good" you have done is not the same as the Pharisees praying in public so they are seen by all and boasting about how "good" they are?
Alrighty then.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:05 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,022,708 times
Quote:
Absolutely. Jesus came for those that needed a doctor, not those who are well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity