Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:54 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,164,385 times

Advertisements

Tithing is NOT for today it was for Jews living in Israel only. Further it was not money it was food and meant for the Levitical Priests who were essentially the government of old Israel. The priests of Levi were not allowed to own land to maintain their impartiality in local matters so they had no way to grow food. There were 11 tribes besides Levi........each tribe contributed 10% thus giving a full amount plus a little extra for the hard times. Check out the verses and they are all about food. There is no Biblical need for tithing today unless your Pastor or denomination wants your money for their use. We have free will giving today out of what you already have, not what some prosperity perverted gospel preacher is telling you that you might score in the future. Give me your seed faith and hit the lotto next week, it comes from pure greed. Don't fall for it. Tithing was for the Jews in Israel, not for the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 10:59 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
At the end of the day churches and religions are just businesses. They were created for a reason and they need finances to keep running. It's not REQUIRED legally to pay this. You might get pushback from your church, but without those rules and the income it provides it goes out of business. Like any company.

You choose to go to that church and be part of a religion. It's just as easy to not be part of any religion. You just have to figure out if it's all worth the financial price you pay to be part of the "club".

Old 12-02-2015, 11:04 AM

903 posts, read 583,248 times
Some would argue that 10% was under the law, how much more should we give while under grace? There is also a NT principle about testing God with your tithe and watch how He blesses.

But, what and when you tithe is between you and God, but given how gracious He has apparently been to you, shouldn't you be gracious back? Tithes are used to support ministry. I believe there are certainly arguments that can be made that it should be for local ministry and then give over and above (as you are able) to support other causes, but if it makes you feel better, tithe to local groups serving the needy. Starting somewhere and continuing to give back would seem far better than keeping it for yourself.

Larry Burkett once did a study on the Old Testament process of tithing. He indicated that when you added everything up it actually amounted to about 28%. I don't have a reference at my finger tips. It was from one of his books that I read years ago. However a searching using DuckDuckgo (the SE that doesn't track you) yielded some fascinating articles. Here is a link to one of them: 7. How Many Tithes? 10%, 20%, or 23 1/3rd%?

I have always given 10% in good and bad times. God has always seen that my family was taken care of. Above all, though you must be at peace with what you do. :O)

Old 12-02-2015, 11:07 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
You answered all your own questions. God sustained you, in difficult times. Why are you turning your back on Him now? Find a church home and quit listening to Satan.

*There are many non-Christians here-don't listen to them!

Old 12-02-2015, 11:12 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,017 times
10% is the minimum but not required to stay in fellowship with God nor to enter into His kingdom. He wants a cheerful giver. He also expects us to keep our bills paid and out of debt. There are other ways to give to the Lord and that's to give to a charity when you can. Volunteer your time. Fix a small meal for a needy or sick neighbor. If you wish to send a small check to your old church do so. God doesn't look for amounts, He is looking at the willingness of your heart. Bless you and your husband.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:15 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robyncae View Post
I guess the title explains it all.

Over the summer my husband lost his job, it was brutal. It was a bad situation and brought us both to our knees, in a crippling way. We held onto each other and both of us settled it in our hearts that God would provide, and He did!

I wish I could rant forever about how hard we were hit but I cant. I wish I could explain how, ironically, I was okay with it when it happened and how it was actually a peaceful time for both of us. It was beautiful and dark and a thousand other things, but at the end of the day we were brought out of it. God did it for us and me and my husband talked and talked about how much we owe Him. It was one of those things you just knew, like when I was saved.

Now, we are making money again. Bills are being paid, still struggling with old debts but we pay the vitals now... child support, groceries, insurance, rent, etc, and we can tuck a little away in savings. We started to pay tithe, and it felt awesome. We owed Him! I had excitement in my heart for it but now... it's so much money for tithe. A lot. It is more than a month pay of a friend of ours made who gave us the last of his money when we had to camp in a tent. Yes, it's 10%, but it's 10% that should go to our debts or savings, or kids?!

We don't even have a church at the moment but we give it to my childhood church, a small town church where I was saved.

I'm just feeling resentful and angry about it. I want to grab that 10% and put it towards anything else, just in case. You ever ask yourself if God was more important than your husband or kids? Well, I did and the answer brought me to my knees... again. I didn't pay tithe this week, or last. Now I'm behind with God and it's a suffocating feeling.
You should give from the heart to those who helped you; and those in need.
Don't miss the obvious - because you no longer are living in a tent?

Try helping the homeless, and the less fortunate.

Tithing is a man-made doctrine, feed the children.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:25 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You answered all your own questions.
God sustained you, in difficult times.

Why are you turning your back on Him now?
Find a church home and quit listening to Satan.

It's a matter of the heart, not the doctrines of men.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:15 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robyncae View Post
I guess the title explains it all.

Over the summer my husband lost his job, it was brutal. It was a bad situation and brought us both to our knees, in a crippling way. We held onto each other and both of us settled it in our hearts that God would provide, and He did!

I wish I could rant forever about how hard we were hit but I cant. I wish I could explain how, ironically, I was okay with it when it happened and how it was actually a peaceful time for both of us. It was beautiful and dark and a thousand other things, but at the end of the day we were brought out of it. God did it for us and me and my husband talked and talked about how much we owe Him. It was one of those things you just knew, like when I was saved.

Now, we are making money again. Bills are being paid, still struggling with old debts but we pay the vitals now... child support, groceries, insurance, rent, etc, and we can tuck a little away in savings. We started to pay tithe, and it felt awesome. We owed Him! I had excitement in my heart for it but now... it's so much money for tithe. A lot. It is more than a month pay of a friend of ours made who gave us the last of his money when we had to camp in a tent. Yes, it's 10%, but it's 10% that should go to our debts or savings, or kids?!

We don't even have a church at the moment but we give it to my childhood church, a small town church where I was saved.

I'm just feeling resentful and angry about it. I want to grab that 10% and put it towards anything else, just in case. You ever ask yourself if God was more important than your husband or kids? Well, I did and the answer brought me to my knees... again. I didn't pay tithe this week, or last. Now I'm behind with God and it's a suffocating feeling.
If you resent tithes then you definitely don't understand tithing.
Do you resent the Sabbath to?
The sabbath doesn't seem onerous to me and neither should tithing seem onerous to anyone

Old 12-02-2015, 02:54 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,384 times
If you wish to tithe, but have no money then volunteer and visit at a local senior center. Find a way to pay it forward with your time. Breathe. You are just getting on your feet.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:59 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You answered all your own questions. God sustained you, in difficult times. Why are you turning your back on Him now? Find a church home and quit listening to Satan.

Now what is this little jimmie? Are you saying this young woman is turning her back on God if she does not tithe?

God is not going to judge her for not tithing, and suggesting such a thing is mean and ..... mean.
Perhaps Satan made you say that, or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity