Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 03:45 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
1 Corinthians 1:10-17
10 Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment. 11 For I have been informed concerning you, my brethren, by Chloe's people, that there are quarrels among you. 12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, "I am of Paul," and "I of Apollos," and "I of Cephas," and "I of Christ." 13 Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

14 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so that no one would say you were baptized in my name. 16 Now I did baptize also the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any other.

17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not in cleverness of speech, so that the cross of Christ would not be made void.
Divisiveness is the first issue brought forth by Paul to the church at Corinth.

For them, they boasted in their church leader to the point that they were arguing with each other. Today, we identify ourselves with and focus on denominations instead of simply being Christians which gives the impression of disunity among those in the faith. Denominations can also be a false sense of security. Paul mentions that some were boasting of being in Apollos. People who wanted to become part of that assembly may have identified themselves with Apollos, and not Jesus Christ. Today, some could be Catholics, or Protestants, or Methodists without being one with Christ.

Why is this issue important? Christ is to be paramount above all other associations. We should have unity in Him.

When Jesus prayed to the Father in John 17, He prayed for our unity.

John 17:20-24
20 "I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; 21 that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22 "The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; 23 I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.
Avoid denominational disunity. We (those who believe in Christ) are perfected collectively in our unity.

Actually Paul was speaking about the true religion, not a single denomination--only one religion was started by Jesus.--it would not be divided--yet there are 33,000 religions claiming to be Christian--claiming to have holy spirit guiding them, yet they cannot get that teaching correct by example as simple as it is. What is wrong with that picture? I would say--32,997 trinity based religions are a house divided--they will not stand( Mark 3:24-26) that leaves 3-- The Mormons( are they divided)? the Unitarians-- The Jehovah witnesses. Makes it a little simpler for one to choose--I choose the JW,s because I know for a fact--they listen to Jesus first and foremost and teach us--every utterance from God--over and over--Jesus taught--Man does not live by bread alone, but by every utterance from God--he didn't say if you choose, its a must to be a true follower--learn and apply every utterance--it takes years.

Last edited by kjw47; 12-03-2015 at 04:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 04:05 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Actually Paul was speaking about the true religion, not a single denomination--only one religion was started by Jesus.--it would not be divided--yet there are 33,000 religions claiming to be Christian--claiming to have holy spirit guiding them, yet they cannot get that teaching correct by example as simple as it is. What is wrong with that picture? I would say--32,997 trinity based religions are a house divided--they will not stand( Mark 3:24-26) that leaves 3-- The Mormons( are they divided)? the Unitarians-- The Jehovah witnesses. Makes it a little simpler for one to choose--I choose the JW,s because I know for a fact--they listen to Jesus first and foremost and teach us--every utterance from God--over and over--Jesus taught--Man does not live by bread alone, but by every utterance from God--he didn't if you choose, its a must to be a true follower--learn and apply every utterance--it takes years.
When they knock at his door, their hearts are changed.
It's a change that occurs from the inside-out.

And, it's nice to get visitors, while enjoying a hot cup of tea and honey!

Old 12-03-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
When they knock at his door, their hearts are changed.
It's a change that occurs from the inside-out.

And, it's nice to get visitors, while enjoying a hot cup of tea and honey!

Ephesians 4:22-24--- one must strip off the old personality( worker of iniquity) and put on the new personality( righteousness)--- this is what it takes to be born again--accomplishing this, all the way.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:15 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Ephesians 4:22-24--- one must strip off the old personality (worker of iniquity) and put on the new personality (righteousness)--- this is what it takes to be born again--accomplishing this, all the way.
They enter naked, and blind.
But their sight is restored.

And they leave fully clothed.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:32 PM

205 posts, read 119,860 times
Quote:
10 Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment. 11 For I have been informed concerning you, my brethren, by Chloe's people, that there are quarrels among you. 12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, "I am of Paul," and "I of Apollos," and "I of Cephas," and "I of Christ." 13 Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

14 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so that no one would say you were baptized in my name. 16 Now I did baptize also the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any other.

17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not in cleverness of speech, so that the cross of Christ would not be made void.

For them, they boasted in their church leader to the point that they were arguing with each other. Today, we identify ourselves with and focus on denominations instead of simply being Christians which gives the impression of disunity among those in the faith. Denominations can also be a false sense of security. Paul mentions that some were boasting of being in Apollos. People who wanted to become part of that assembly may have identified themselves with Apollos, and not Jesus Christ. Today, some could be Catholics, or Protestants, or Methodists without being one with Christ.

Why is this issue important? Christ is to be paramount above all other associations. We should have unity in Him.

20 "I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; 21 that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22 "The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; 23 I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.
Avoid denominational disunity. We (those who believe in Christ) are perfected collectively in our unity.
My dear friend in Christ,

There is THEN and there is NOW

This was written when ALL and the ONLY Christian were Catholics.

The Date of authorship was about 1,400 YEARS before the Protestant reformation.

A Beautiful thought nevertheless

God Bless you

Patrick

Old 12-03-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick for Christ View Post
My dear friend in Christ,

There is THEN and there is NOW

This was written when ALL and the ONLY Christian were Catholics.

The Date of authorship was about 1,400 YEARS before the Protestant reformation.

A Beautiful thought nevertheless

God Bless you

Patrick

Catholicism( 2Thess 2:3_) was not in existence until well after the year 250--the religion Jesus started died when all of the followers were murdered. truth did not come back until these last days( Daniel 12:4)
It is here now in abundance. The world hates truth.

No follower or teacher of Jesus' would ever participate in a war of hatred, especially killing for someone like Hitler. Jesus would-NEVER- condone the brothers of Christ standing on both sides.
Catholicism accomplished that feat in the rev war, the civil war, ww1,ww2--millions upon millions slaughtered in hatred--the bloodguilt has amassed to the heavens--open your eyes.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:17 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Are you surrounded by dysfunctional Christians? Are you a dysfunctional Christian?
Why are you asking me? Apparently you already know... that is, before you changed your response.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:38 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Actually Paul was speaking about the true religion, not a single denomination--only one religion was started by Jesus.--it would not be divided--yet there are 33,000 religions claiming to be Christian--claiming to have holy spirit guiding them, yet they cannot get that teaching correct by example as simple as it is. What is wrong with that picture? I would say--32,997 trinity based religions are a house divided--they will not stand( Mark 3:24-26) that leaves 3-- The Mormons( are they divided)? the Unitarians-- The Jehovah witnesses. Makes it a little simpler for one to choose--I choose the JW,s because I know for a fact--they listen to Jesus first and foremost and teach us--every utterance from God--over and over--Jesus taught--Man does not live by bread alone, but by every utterance from God--he didn't say if you choose, its a must to be a true follower--learn and apply every utterance--it takes years.
Individuals have a relationship with Christ.

Denominations are useless with regards to Christ.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:41 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times
Quote:

Paul divided because he did not abide in the word of Jesus and the Father.

The son gives His followers the same glory given to Him so they are One and perfected as One. Paul never had it.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:39 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
God never created a religion that he could watch over, he took his abode in us and said seek me and you will find me. Yet we still look for him in every place but where he is and blamer him for everything wrong under the sun. There is no longer a mystery...... it's been solved......... Christ in you.
Amen! God never created ANY religion. Men did and in their vanity and hubris they have corrupted the Gospel (Good News) Christ brought to us and demonstrated with His very body and life!!!"No greater love . . ." Christ abides within us under the New Covenant as the Comforter sent in His name to guide us to the truth "written in our hearts" in agape love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity