Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 03:31 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Many of the church members AND individual churches listed among those are fundamentalist in many ways, having no difference from Southern Baptists in their essential doctrines.
You love to make these blanket observations without really having any true knowledge of the subject at hand. Again, you know nothing. As one example, ask a Southern Baptist and a Church of Christ Member about the differences and you'll be in for a rather long conversation.

Last edited by cpg35223; 12-10-2015 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 12:28 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You love to make these blanket observations without really having any true knowledge of the subject at hand. Again, you know nothing. As one example, ask a Southern Baptist and a Church of Christ Member about the differences and you'll be in for a rather long conversation.
Having attended many different church meetings of several different Christian type churches, they all have major differences in beliefs. One church even told me that in blue jeans and sport shirt, I was not dressed appropriately to worship God with them. I have been in some where the homeless, basically wearing rags were welcomed.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:59 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times
My thought is that it is best to look to God and God's Word, where there is guidance.

Romans 12:2 (KJV)
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

So Christianity isn't about conformation, but transformation and renewal.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:38 AM

63,772 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I think it would help Christianity no end if it held it's hands up and said we got it wrong, and moved forward from then on by associating itself with only that which is rooted in the love and peace of Jesus Christ. Which I suppose is nigh on impossible when you believe one day that Jesus Christ is coming back to slay all those that oppose him.
They have NOT understood the primary message of Christ . . . agape love . . . so they try to reconcile utterly contradictory views of God from the OT ignorance and superstition. It is a travesty.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Having attended many different church meetings of several different Christian type churches, they all have major differences in beliefs. One church even told me that in blue jeans and sport shirt, I was not dressed appropriately to worship God with them. I have been in some where the homeless, basically wearing rags were welcomed.
Yep. You know, the very first rule of critiquing something is to actually understand it. The OP obviously knows bupkis about Christianity, nor does he really have any nuanced understanding of how broad and diverse Christianity is. Nope, if this guy is actually a serious poster, then he is far more ignorant than the people he proposes to characterize.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:45 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,852,714 times
Quote:
Yep. You know, the very first rule of critiquing something is to actually understand it. The OP obviously knows bupkis about Christianity, nor does he really have any nuanced understanding of how broad and diverse Christianity is. Nope, if this guy is actually a serious poster, then he is far more ignorant than the people he proposes to characterize.
If you are referring to some kinds of Christianity that don't believe in the miracles and the supernatural aspects, then you would be correct. I am talking about the most popular forms.

If people conform to society, they are obviously going to feel like they are missing out on life. The supernatural resurrection tells them exactly what they want to hear: they will get a chance to experience all the happiness they are missing out on by following the crowd.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:06 AM

Quote:
If you are referring to some kinds of Christianity that don't believe in the miracles and the supernatural aspects, then you would be correct. I am talking about the most popular forms.

If people conform to society, they are obviously going to feel like they are missing out on life. The supernatural resurrection tells them exactly what they want to hear: they will get a chance to experience all the happiness they are missing out on by following the crowd.
You get less coherent with every post.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:42 AM

Quote:
You get less coherent with every post.
By following the false religion of society (organized Christianity) they lack the fullness of knowing God. They will put their hopes into something false as a psychological mind trick. As long as they all tell each other the same thing, and all agree on this same wish fulfillment, they think they are in good psychological shape.

But they are really not in good shape, and they know this inside. It's like a spiritual cancer.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:49 AM

Our society today is similar to Roman society in many ways. It's an unnatural thing to live separated from a natural human community. So people try to make artificial religious communities.

I believe just as many people today would be willing to die a quick death by hungry lions as they were in ancient Rome, just by checking "Yes" to the Christian box. They have lost all hopes for happiness.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
By following the false religion of society (organized Christianity) they lack the fullness of knowing God. They will put their hopes into something false as a psychological mind trick. As long as they all tell each other the same thing, and all agree on this same wish fulfillment, they think they are in good psychological shape.

But they are really not in good shape, and they know this inside. It's like a spiritual cancer.
I love a person with an agenda. You have a predetermined thesis and only note those things that fit your thesis. It's really a dishonest way to look at the world. In truth, Christianity has largely become a counterculture movement in what is more and more a secular world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity