Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 12:10 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
So what's taking you so long? ... since it's a win-win?
I assume you are praying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 12:27 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
He allows that nasty sinful nature to exist, rather than eliminate it.

It makes no sense. The Christian God has the power to fix all of these problems (false religions, our sinful nature, the Devil, etc) but doesn't.
So which are the false religions? Everything but Christianity? Is every strain of Christianity a true religion?

A good number of the fundamentalists aren't going to like that because they've convinced themselves the Catholics are going to hell. Or does fundamentalism not make the cut and get put on the false religion list? Which of the Lutherans denominations are "true" and will there be fistfights when the decision comes down?

Old 12-08-2015, 12:38 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
I assume you are praying?
Not at this moment ...

My point with my questions is that you are asking about them (Islam), but spiritually speaking you are no different. Many of you who are not Christians post in this area every day and call us names and put us down and put the Bible down... I could ask the same question about you guys - why does God allow you to happen?

So you can answer your question in the OP simply by looking at your own situation.

---------------------------------

Now there is another answer to your question in the OP that addresses your issue in a different way, but I don't think you can handle the truth of that.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So which are the false religions? Everything but Christianity? Is every strain of Christianity a true religion?

A good number of the fundamentalists aren't going to like that because they've convinced themselves the Catholics are going to hell. Or does fundamentalism not make the cut and get put on the false religion list? Which of the Lutherans denominations are "true" and will there be fistfights when the decision comes down?
As the old joke goes, "there's only one true religion, and it's mine."

I was arguing from the perspective of fundamentalist Christianity, which generally asserts that only bible-believing Protestants will be saved, and maybe some Catholics if they don't pray to Mary too much. And maybe some Eastern Orthodox Christians too, if they stop worshipping that Buddha guy.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:58 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Islam is obviously a huge barrier to the spread of Christianity. In some countries, apostasy from Islam is actually a capital offense.

If Christianity is the One True Path to Salvation, then why did God allow a religion like Islam to come onto the scene and thrive? Preventing the founding of a false religion like Islam should have been a priority.
Because the Jews and the Christians evidently failed the god of Abraham, and he finally decided on a straightforward, no-nonsense or-else version of what he wants.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Not at this moment ...

My point with my questions is that you are asking about them (Islam), but spiritually speaking you are no different. Many of you who are not Christians post in this area every day and call us names and put us down and put the Bible down... I could ask the same question about you guys - why does God allow you to happen?

So you can answer your question in the OP simply by looking at your own situation.
That is a perfectly good question: why does the Christian God allow people like me to exist?

You tell me: why does he allow atheists to exist? We are his enemies, and yet he does nothing to eliminate us. Nor does he eliminate all of the non-Christian religions. He usually hires out the task of "eliminating" non-believers to humans, oddly enough.

Quote:
Now there is another answer to your question in the OP that addresses your issue in a different way, but I don't think you can handle the truth of that.
What truth am I unable to handle? Please be more specific.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:

What truth am I unable to handle? Please be specific.
The more important question is, Freak...... Who is he to decide/judge what you can handle?

Old 12-08-2015, 01:21 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
He allows that nasty sinful nature to exist, rather than eliminate it.

It makes no sense. The Christian God has the power to fix all of these problems (false religions, our sinful nature, the Devil, etc) but doesn't.
He will, in time--once those he wants to save are saved. Then Christ will return.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:52 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He also wants us all to live sin-free lives. But he allows us to not do so.
May I interject here?

You didn't answer Freak's question. Instead, you deflected with something different, hence sidetracking from the original question. Freak's question was whether, per the Bible, God wants everyone to be saved. This was in response to your assertion that God is sovereign to save only those he wants to save. This seems to be saying that you believe God doesn't want some people to be saved (hence the choosing). So which is it? I am curious to hear your response on this.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:54 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Because the Jews and the Christians evidently failed the god of Abraham, and he finally decided on a straightforward, no-nonsense or-else version of what he wants.
Finally decided on?

God can't predict what's going to happen?

He's not all-knowing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity