Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 10:24 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,402,474 times

Advertisements

Exodus 20:8-11. Should Christians keep the Sabbath?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 11:27 PM

32,530 posts, read 21,914,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
What did G-d say?...

Old 12-06-2015, 11:38 PM

6,659 posts, read 2,841,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Well, as long as they claim to keep the Ten Commandments - as most Christians claim they do - then they probably should. HOWEVER, most Christians believe that the Sabbath as per the 4th-commandment is Sunday. Most, in fact, have NO IDEA that the Sabbath is Saturday or, rather, Friday sunset thru' Saturday sunset. SO, they believe that by going to church on Sunday they ARE keeping the 4th-command. If I've learned anything from my 25-year tenure as a 'Christian'* it's that the majority of "Christians" are SO in ignorance about the very book they purport to uphold.

*I was baptized a Christian in 1988. Since then I've learned that "Christian" is just a word that people often apply rather loosely to themselves whether they actually 'live' their claim to the label or whether they don't. If people see me as being 'Christ-like' because of my 'fruits' then I'm a Christian to them. If they don't, then I'm not. These days I don't feel the need to attach the label to myself as though I'm a member of some select club.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:57 PM

7,057 posts, read 8,886,325 times
The Seventh Day Adventists are the only ones who get it right.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
The Seventh Day Adventists are the only ones who get it right.

And, perhaps, the 7th-day Baptists but I don't know much about them.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:03 AM

9,673 posts, read 9,958,066 times
I tell my boss I don`t work on Saturday . then I go to church of Sunday ...... Actually obeying the Commandments with give God worship and honor if faith is exercised , but still we must never expect grace of God for obeying the commandment , as the grace of God is a gift of God

Old 12-07-2015, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I tell my boss I don`t work on Saturday . then I go to church of Sunday ...... Actually obeying the Commandments with give God worship and honor if faith is exercised , but still we must never expect grace of God for obeying the commandment , as the grace of God is a gift of God

Yes, I understand that and that's fine. But, most Christians THINK that they're being obedient to the 4th-command by going to church Sunday. If the average Christian were asked, "Which day is the Sabbath?" they would invariably reply, "Sunday is the Sabbath." In other words they haven't got a clue what a major Bible command - the 4th-command of the Big Ten - actually means. If an airline pilot knew as little about the Aviation Manual as the average Christian knows about their Bible I wouldn't dream of boarding his plane.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:35 AM

689 posts, read 492,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The deity must be very up itself if it requires a special day to be put aside to worship it.

NO human or entity should require worship!

Old 12-07-2015, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
The deity must be very up itself if it requires a special day to be put aside to worship it.

NO human or entity should require worship!
I sort of agree with you but the 7th-day Sabbath is more a commemoration of the completion of Creation than a call to worship.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:47 AM

689 posts, read 492,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I sort of agree with you but the 7th-day Sabbath is more a commemoration of the completion of Creation than a call to worship.

If the deity was responsible for creation it screwed up BIG TIME, so there is nothing to commemorate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity