Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 09:50 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times

Advertisements

Here are some examples of Saturnalia and where many Christmas customs came from. [SIZE=2][/SIZE]

https://thetruthandlight.wordpress.c...-of-christmas/

Origin of Christmas | The history of Christmas and how it began

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnalia

Many who are excitedly preparing for their Christmas celebrations would prefer not knowing about the holiday’s real significance, meaning, history, or origins. If they do know the history, they often object that their celebration has nothing to do with the holiday’s history and meaning and claim they are just having fun.
Deuteronomy 12:29-32(NKJV)
29 “When the Lord your God cuts off from before you the nations which you go to dispossess, and you displace them and dwell in their land, 30 take heed to yourself that you are not ensnared to follow them, after they are destroyed from before you, and that you do not inquire after their gods, saying, ‘How did these nations serve their gods? I also will do likewise. 31 You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way; for every abomination to the Lord which He hates they have done to their gods; for they burn even their sons and daughters in the fire to their gods.
32 “Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it.

-God made it pretty clear to not copy the ways of the pagans and worship him in the same exact manner.

Jeremiah 10:1-4 (KJV)

10 Hear ye the word which the Lord speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:
2 Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

-I Know this is not referring to a Xmas tree, as the literally worshiped trees back then, but the customs are very similar in Christmas over the years with the silver and gold bells that cover xmas trees.

If you were to take Christ out of Christmas now, nothing would change and you pretty much have Saturnalia.

Where did Jesus command us to put a tree up in our houses and decorate it to honor him?

Where did Jesus command us to buy a bunch of gifts to go in debt over in honor of him?

With many of the pagan symbols and customs still existing in modern day Xmas, can you take a pagan holiday and turn it into a holy day and attempt to put Christ in a day he was never a part of to begin with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 10:05 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Big deal.

People can celebrate, or not, any aspect of Christmas they wish.

If you prefer Scrooging it through the season - all I can say is, "Bah, humbug."

Old 12-07-2015, 10:11 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Big deal.

People can celebrate, or not, any aspect of Christmas they wish.

If you prefer Scrooging it through the season - all I can say is, "Bah, humbug."
Or Have a Cool Yule......

I am not sure where exactly religious people get off on trying to make others not celebrate the way we each choose. I think it does speak volumes for the insecurity and fear thinking that religions like fundie/evangelical Christianity breed in people. That's a shame

BUT Then again, I celebrate Christmas my way and I am not even a Christian!

Old 12-07-2015, 10:57 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,332,675 times
don't think any Christian denomination commands it's members to put up a tree, buy or give gifts, or most anything else that is popularly associated with "observing" the season in a religious (or otherwise) way. these things are additions good, bad, or indifferent which a Christian may or may not choose to do. Christmas is literally "Christ's Mass" the joyeous and worshipful commemoration (traditionally by a having special Mass/church service for the day) and public celebration of Christ coming into the world as one of us; as a little child to begin the work of salvation (that is climaxed by His sacrifical death and resurrection which is commemorated at "easter")---any thing we may do (by giving gifts or acts of charity as a show of love to others for example) that indicates that we want the "Prince of Peace" to truly reign in our hearts is a good thing---the rest is window dressing and no big deal one way or the other----unless these things so often concerned with buying and selling become the sole "reason for the season". FWIW, the period before Christmas (Advent) is traditionally observed by many Christians not as a time of revelry or indulgence but as a time of preparation by penance, fasting, prayer, almsgiving, and other acts of charity so that they may be more spiritually ready to receive and welcome the "newborn King" at Christmas---rather different than either the practices of the ancient saturnalia or for that matter what our modern consumer culture wants us to do.

that said, if we do feel joy in remembering and celebrating the wonderful mystery of the Incarnation (literally the "taking on flesh") of Christ and our salvation begun by His coming into this world, can we seriously be reproached by anyone if we show that joy by some public demonstration like putting up a tree (evergreen to show a new life in Christ even in an old world of sin and death) and topped with a star (to remember that which guided the wise men to find and worship the Christ child) or decorating our house and front yards with lights (to signify the "light of the world" which is Christ), or even putting up a nativity scene to show everyone what we believe really happened at the first Christmas or even giving gifts (as the wise men did when they beheld the Holy Child)????

hopefully, if we so choose, God will give each of us in all our various ways the means to observe, celebrate, and enjoy this special season with sincere love of the Christ this period is named for---especially in our kind and loving concern of all of our brothers and sisters near and far, known and unknown. God bless us everyone!!!

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 12-07-2015 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: more info.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:00 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
In my current 55 years of life I can honestly say no one has "forced" me to celebrate anything, I have made that choice myself.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:57 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
With credit to cupper3,

Axial Tilt is the Reason for the Season.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:05 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
I never think of Jesus as a baby on Christmas Day. Every year, Jesus was my exact age.

Jesus just happens to be......older.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:06 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times
"By your words you'll be justified and by your words you'll be condemned."

This says nothing about decorating a Christmas tree. Nor anything about gifts. Worshipping God is an every day affair.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:26 PM

1,196 posts, read 753,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

I am not sure where exactly religious people get off on trying to make others not celebrate the way we each choose. I think it does speak volumes for the insecurity and fear thinking that religions like fundie/evangelical Christianity breed in people. That's a shame BUT Then again, I celebrate Christmas my way and I am not even a Christian!

[SIZE=4]butthe bible is the word from the God of Israel, the bible calls him bythe name Jehovah ,(Exo. 6:3), the scriptures I post isn't meant foryou or others who don't claim to be a christian, But to christianswho's reading it. The words of God is meant for those who's trulytrying to follow Jesus. These are the ones who he said basicallydon't live as the rest of the world does just as he didn't. And theseare the ones who accepted the truth,([SIZE=3]John[/SIZE]17:16,17 They are not ofthe world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them through thytruth: thy word is truth). we can't love the things of theworld, much of it isn't from Jehovah God or Jesus, ([SIZE=3]1John2:15-17). [/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3]True!,ANYONE can live and do as they please. But again those who claim tobe christians, [/SIZE]mustaccept the truth, and shouldn't get upset when they hear it. Achristian shouldn't follow or live by a lie, Jesus never did. And ifwe as christians claim to be followers of Jesus ,(Luke9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let himdeny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me). Anyspiritual lie should be looked at as false teaching. A christiancan't straddle the fence ,(Rev. 3:15-17). those who choose to followthe false teachings concerning Jesus. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Thisis what he says ,([SIZE=3]Matt.[/SIZE][SIZE=3]7:22,23Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesiedin thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy namedone many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I neverknew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity). peace [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Old 12-07-2015, 02:31 PM

1,196 posts, read 753,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

I am not sure where exactly religious people get off on trying to make others not celebrate the way we each choose. I think it does speak volumes for the insecurity and fear thinking that religions like fundie/evangelical Christianity breed in people. That's a shame BUT Then again, I celebrate Christmas my way and I am not even a Christian!

but the bible is the word from the God of Israel, the bible calls him by the name Jehovah ,(Exo. 6:3), the scriptures I post isn't meant for you or others who don't claim to be a christian, But to Christians who's reading it. The words of God is meant for those who's truly trying to follow Jesus. These are the ones who he said basically don't live as the rest of the world does just as he didn't. And these are the ones who accepted the truth,(John 17:16,17 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth). we can't love the things of the world, much of it isn't from Jehovah God or Jesus, (1John2:15-17).

True!,ANYONE can live and do as they please. But again those who claim to be christians, must accept the truth, and shouldn't get upset when they hear it. A christian shouldn't follow or live by a lie, Jesus never did. And if we as christians claim to be followers of Jesus ,(Luke9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me). Any spiritual lie should be looked at as false teaching. A Christian can't straddle the fence ,(Rev. 3:15-17). those who choose to follow the false teachings concerning Jesus.

This is what he says ,(Matt.[7:22,23 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity). peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity