Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2015, 01:20 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I prefer the image Jesus is quoted as giving. When you don't, it shows.
I do too, Nate, but all of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 01:58 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Does God know you're deciding who is going to hell?
It's not my fault you wantonly reject what he said in the Bible as to who is and why one goes to hell.

Last edited by twin.spin; 12-11-2015 at 02:21 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 02:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
It's not my fault you wantonly reject what he said in the Bible as to who is and why one goes to hell.
What I reject is the twin.spin version of religion.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
What I reject is the twin.spin version of religion.
and
.... Jesus' version is Matthew 24-25
..... Jesus' version is Revelation 21-22
so what you reject is not mine but Jesus'.
In other words, it is you who is going around telling God who is and who is not going to hell.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:46 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
and
.... Jesus' version is Matthew 24-25
..... Jesus' version is Revelation 21-22
so what you reject is not mine but Jesus'.
In other words, it is you who is going around telling God who is and who is not going to hell.
The part of conservative fundamentalism that claims God loves all and wants to forge a personal relationship is quite appealing. I still maintain that even though I have escaped fundamentalist religion.

But like Anne Rice, the vampire novelist who rediscovered her Christian faith, I can use her words:

"I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always, but not to being a part of Christianity."

My journey, like hers, helped me to find a place to quench my spiritual yearnings, love God, and love others free from the poison of fundamentalism.

Fundamentalism is packed with myths, half truths, and a dogmatic approach to life. It is focused on worshiping the Bible, idolizing church, canonizing doctrine, controlling behavior, imposing religious disciplines, resisting reason, judging outsiders, and first and foremost spiritual manipulation.

If one cannot be free in Christ Jesus, what's a heaven for.

I belong now with those, like Dew, and Nate, and Zman, rejecting the psychological and theological obstacles of that religion. We live in a form of spiritual inspiration. Sometimes not as certain as you think you are, but then, we aren't trapped in all the entanglements of religious dogmatism.

Jesus and His words are not rejected--but your religion certainly is. Your religion is obsessed with individual piety and doctrine over and above concern for social justice. That was the beginning of my enlightenment--as God expects more of us. The attributes of your religion turn loving and caring for each other into spiritual manipulation and abuse.

Like Bono, when I was young, "I wanted to meet God, but you sold me religion."

Old 12-11-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
The part of conservative fundamentalism that claims God loves all and wants to forge a personal relationship is quite appealing. I still maintain that even though I have escaped fundamentalist religion.

But like Anne Rice, the vampire novelist who rediscovered her Christian faith, I can use her words:

"I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always, but not to being a part of Christianity."

My journey, like hers, helped me to find a place to quench my spiritual yearnings, love God, and love others free from the poison of fundamentalism.

Fundamentalism is packed with myths, half truths, and a dogmatic approach to life. It is focused on worshiping the Bible, idolizing church, canonizing doctrine, controlling behavior, imposing religious disciplines, resisting reason, judging outsiders, and first and foremost spiritual manipulation.

If one cannot be free in Christ Jesus, what's a heaven for.

I belong now with those, like Dew, and Nate, and Zman, rejecting the psychological and theological obstacles of that religion. We live in a form of spiritual inspiration. Sometimes not as certain as you think you are, but then, we aren't trapped in all the entanglements of religious dogmatism.

Jesus and His words are not rejected--but your religion certainly is. Your religion is obsessed with individual piety and doctrine over and above concern for social justice. That was the beginning of my enlightenment--as God expects more of us. The attributes of your religion turn loving and caring for each other into spiritual manipulation and abuse.

Like Bono, when I was young, "I wanted to meet God, but you sold me religion."
that's nice, while full of scapegoat excuses for rejecting all of what Jesus said ... so it's still irrelevant

Old 12-11-2015, 04:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
[/indent]so what you reject is not mine but Jesus'.
You have an....unusual..... imagination.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:48 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
One poster told me many of the words attributed to Jesus, He did not say.
I often wonder how someone could QUOTE a person 30-50 years later verbatim...

Old 12-11-2015, 04:57 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I often wonder how someone could QUOTE a person 30-50 years later verbatim...
Led by the Spirit. Regardless, how do you decide which words of Jesus to believe? It's disingenuous to pick anything other than 100% or zero.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:13 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
that's nice, while full of scapegoat excuses for rejecting all of what Jesus said ... so it's still irrelevant
What's irrelevant about this?
Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross.
Let your light shine so shine before men that they may see your good WORKS, and glorify your father which is in heaven.
For even the son of man came not to be ministered to, but to minister---
Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and all thy soul, and with all thy mind--and the second is like unto it, thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
Whoever is the greatest should be the servant of the others.

And this particular one you need to drill down into your heart:
You Pharisees and teachers of the Law of Moses are in for trouble! You’re nothing but show-offs. You lock people out of the kingdom of heaven. ----You travel over land and sea to win one follower. And when you have done so, you make that person twice as fit for hell as you are.

That's your entire focus on these threads--to tell people they aren't a part of heaven and can't be unless they become a Twin like you. And you use the Bible, a testimony of many people about their faith in God and what they saw Him do in their lives--to lock them out. It's idolatry.

Idolatry is any religious practice that gives mankind a measure of religious and emotional satisfaction, and that alleviates their conscience and requires nothing from them. Religion is the propensity of men to take the holiest things of God in all of their well-meaning intention, and so to transfigure them as to rob them of their cogency and power.

The whole religious system is the mere contentment with the verbalization of things and the ability to repeat it, or to give it back, without the actualizing of that knowledge. In other words, there is little or no emphasis on becoming sufficiently existential. Fundamentalist Christian theology has not demanded an authentic appropriation. You recite doctrine, but that will leave people with a credal faith rather than an existential one. The tragedy is that too many have been satisfied with assuming that the credal faith is true, when that, in fact, makes it a lie.

In having a credal faith, you fail to see people with the same love and commitment to them that Jesus had. It's why you have no testimony at all. Until you get your own heart out of the gutter of the worst parts of Scripture, you will never be satisfied.

A dissatisfied heart is never content with itself, God, or other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity