Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 04:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post

Again, taking into account a religion (does not necessarily have to be Christian) that has rose to be a major (or even semi major) player on the world stage with members/churches/chapels/temples/etc. located worldwide, are there any holy sites in the U.S. or Canada that played a keystone role in the foundation of that religion. Where the diety of that religion once lived or walked, or appeared before a prophet with such profound impact that the religion might very well have been founded by this event, or if the religion existed already the event permanently and significantly altered the fabric of that religion. Where followers from all over the world make visitation of this land or site a top priority.
Yes. Graceland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 05:20 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default Ghost dance

Quote:

Again, taking into account a religion (does not necessarily have to be Christian) that has rose to be a major (or even semi major) player on the world stage with members/churches/chapels/temples/etc. located worldwide, are there any holy sites in the U.S. or Canada that played a keystone role in the foundation of that religion. Where the diety of that religion once lived or walked, or appeared before a prophet with such profound impact that the religion might very well have been founded by this event, or if the religion existed already the event permanently and significantly altered the fabric of that religion. Where followers from all over the world make visitation of this land or site a top priority.
Under that definition, there are no sites in the Americas, except possibly the Mormon. The sites that survived into the European conquest were mostly destroyed, or plowed over. The Aztec & Maya & Inca & any others - any practitioners & priests who survive - are not going to surface in order to be destroyed. The West has eradicated - as best it could - any religions & most cultures in the Americas that didn't fit their mental framework, & even those that did.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:55 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,441,143 times
Quote:
I was wondering how many sacred locations or otherwise Holy sites associated with a large scale religion with members, churches and chapels, etc. located throughout the world would be located in the North American continent, namely the United States and Canada.

These sites would be akin to Jerusalem, Temple Mount, Mecca, etc. in other religions.

The only one's I can think of would be associated with Mormonism (Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints) such as the Joseph Smith Homestead, Sacred Grove, Hill Cumorah in Palmyra New York and Jackson County in the State of Missouri, etc.

Is anyone aware of any others?

I'm posting this on the Christianity page for want of a more appropriate general category.

The Jerusalem of North America is Meridian Texas.

Might sound wacky until you have been there and seen all the hills and ruins that put you in Jerusalem.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:02 PM

There is lake Whitney just outside of Meridian and people come from all over to see the gathering of the eagles. I was there a month ago and I must have seen eagles swirling like a hurricane 20 times with maybe 600 or a thousand and while driving anywhere, there are eagles everywhere. Waco very close and it is famous for Eagles.

Then you have the great hoax of Dino tracks with Human tracks right down the street and in that community there is some interesting people with religious minds who seemed to gather there. If you are 50 miles anywhere around Meridian then you will swear that you are being watched by the spirits of Indians and you can feel them everywhere with a rich history almost like you can see shadows moving in the cedars. The hill country in Texas, that's the most holy of Holy places in North America. I figure the Indians must have thought it a great Holy place also because of the eagles.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:28 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes. Graceland.

OMG I do not know if you meant this in jest or not but the situation actually meets almost all the criteria. Elvis has fans with religious like devotion, they are great in numbers, organized to an extent, located worldwide, and the diety actually lived and walked the ground of the site. The only element I see it falling down on is it lacks the structure of an organized religion probably not having it's version of leaders, preachers, pastors, etc. and no regularly scheduled meetings or services. The only thing that comes up when I type in "Elvis Chapel" are the drive in - drive out wedding chapels in Las Vegas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Under that definition, there are no sites in the Americas, except possibly the Mormon. The sites that survived into the European conquest were mostly destroyed, or plowed over. The Aztec & Maya & Inca & any others - any practitioners & priests who survive - are not going to surface in order to be destroyed. The West has eradicated - as best it could - any religions & most cultures in the Americas that didn't fit their mental framework, & even those that did.

I never thought of this but of course there is much truth to what you say, sad as that may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
There is lake Whitney just outside of Meridian and people come from all over to see the gathering of the eagles. I was there a month ago and I must have seen eagles swirling like a hurricane 20 times with maybe 600 or a thousand and while driving anywhere, there are eagles everywhere. Waco very close and it is famous for Eagles.

Then you have the great hoax of Dino tracks with Human tracks right down the street and in that community there is some interesting people with religious minds who seemed to gather there. If you are 50 miles anywhere around Meridian then you will swear that you are being watched by the spirits of Indians and you can feel them everywhere with a rich history almost like you can see shadows moving in the cedars. The hill country in Texas, that's the most holy of Holy places in North America. I figure the Indians must have thought it a great Holy place also because of the eagles.

Hannibal, is the gathering of eagles a Christian based event or Native American Spiritual type gathering? Or open to all no matter your religious beliefs? I cannot seem to find any info or videos for this event but it sounds fascinating. Also, anyone who has ever been to the Texas hill country has returned with rave reviews, would like to visit it myself someday.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:59 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Writing On Stone, Alberta. Courtenay Milne, a photographer, had a book published on Scared Places of North America. There 8s also a Catholic shrine in central Alberta that Catholics make pilgrimage to, might be Lac St Anne.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
OMG I do not know if you meant this in jest or not but the situation actually meets almost all the criteria. Elvis has fans with religious like devotion, they are great in numbers, organized to an extent, located worldwide, and the diety actually lived and walked the ground of the site. The only element I see it falling down on is it lacks the structure of an organized religion probably not having it's version of leaders, preachers, pastors, etc. and no regularly scheduled meetings or services. The only thing that comes up when I type in "Elvis Chapel" are the drive in - drive out wedding chapels in Las Vegas.

I never thought of this but of course there is much truth to what you say, sad as that may be.

Hannibal, is the gathering of eagles a Christian based event or Native American Spiritual type gathering? Or open to all no matter your religious beliefs? I cannot seem to find any info or videos for this event but it sounds fascinating. Also, anyone who has ever been to the Texas hill country has returned with rave reviews, would like to visit it myself someday.
A whole lot of Eagles make their home in Waco and on Lake Whitney but when the first cold fronts start coming, the eagles gather there for winter like a lot of birds.

Bald eagles, American White pelicans, roadrunners, owls, egrets, and blue herons. Some bald eagles make their home year-round on Lake Whitney, and more arrive for the winter. I don't know of any religious gathering with humans but there outta be. I also love Turner falls in Oklahoma, it is one of the most ancient places in North America, you can see the history like at the grand Canyon.

I don't know of any Indian story off hand, but I am certain Lake Whitney would have been seen as an extremely Holy place because of the gathering of the eagles, besides that, It looks and feels like a Holy land.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:05 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The Vietnam Veterans Memorial (the Wall) in Washington, D.C.... Arlington.....Gettysburg. There are MANY holy places in this country. Sacred, holy sites are not restricted to being associated with Christian religions, IMHO.
That is a good point; I hadn't even thought of that.

Ground Zero and the Flight 93 Memorial are now added to that list.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That is a good point; I hadn't even thought of that.

Ground Zero and the Flight 93 Memorial are now added to that list.
I wouldn't call that a Holy place because the enemy would also call it a Holy place of death where they killed so many Americans. Just my opinion though.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Only partly in jest. I have been to both the Vatican and Graceland. I witnessed people weeping at Graceland. (Not just at his grave but in his house.) I saw no one weeping at St. Peter's.

I was actually quite touched by the devotion of his fans. It was obvious seeing where he lived meant a great deal to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity