Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 09:10 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Names are so beautiful.
Elkanah
1There was a certain man from Ramathaim, a Zuphitea from the hill country of Ephraim, whose name was Elkanah son of Jeroham, the son of Elihu, the son of Tohu, the son of Zuph, an Ephraimite. 2He had two wives; one was called Hannah and the other Peninnah. Peninnah had children, but Hannah had none.
3Year after year this man went up from his town to worship and sacrifice to the Lord Almighty at Shiloh, where Hophni and Phinehas, the two sons of Eli, were priests of the Lord. 4Whenever the day came for Elkanah to sacrifice, he would give portions of the meat to his wife Peninnah and to all her sons and daughters.

5But to Hannah he gave a double portion because he loved her, and the Lord had closed her womb.

6Because the Lord had closed Hannah’s womb, her rival kept provoking her in order to irritate her. 7This went on year after year. Whenever Hannah went up to the house of the Lord, her rival provoked her till she wept and would not eat.

8Her husband Elkanah would say to her, “Hannah, why are you weeping? Why don’t you eat? Why are you downhearted? Don’t I mean more to you than ten sons?”
9Once when they had finished eating and drinking in Shiloh, Hannah stood up. Now Eli the priest was sitting on his chair by the doorpost of the Lord’s house. 10In her deep anguish Hannah prayed to the Lord, weeping bitterly. 11And she made a vow, saying, “Lord Almighty, if you will only look on your servant’s misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the Lord for all the days of his life, and no razor will ever be used on his head.”
12As she kept on praying to the Lord, Eli observed her mouth. 13Hannah was praying in her heart, and her lips were moving but her voice was not heard. Eli thought she was drunk 14and said to her, “How long are you going to stay drunk? Put away your wine.”
15“Not so, my lord,” Hannah replied, “I am a woman who is deeply troubled. I have not been drinking wine or beer; I was pouring out my soul to the Lord. 16Do not take your servant for a wicked woman; I have been praying here out of my great anguish and grief.”
17Eli answered, “Go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant you what you have asked of him.”
18She said, “May your servant find favor in your eyes.” Then she went her way and ate something, and her face was no longer downcast.
19Early the next morning they arose and worshiped before the Lord and then went back to their home at Ramah. Elkanah made love to his wife Hannah, and the Lord remembered her. 20So in the course of time Hannah became pregnant and gave birth to a son. She named him Samuel,b saying, “Because I asked the Lord for him.”

Hannah Dedicates Samuel
21When her husband Elkanah went up with all his family to offer the annual sacrifice to the Lord and to fulfill his vow, 22Hannah did not go. She said to her husband, “After the boy is weaned, I will take him and present him before the Lord, and he will live there always.”c
23“Do what seems best to you,” her husband Elkanah told her. “Stay here until you have weaned him; only may the Lord make good hisd word.” So the woman stayed at home and nursed her son until she had weaned him.

24After he was weaned, she took the boy with her, young as he was, along with a

> three-year-old bull,
> e an ephahf of flour
> and a skin of wine,

and brought him to the house of the Lord at Shiloh.

25When the bull had been sacrificed, they brought the boy to Eli, 26and she said to him, “Pardon me, my lord. As surely as you live, I am the woman who stood here beside you praying to the Lord. 27I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. 28So now I give him to the Lord. For his whole life he will be given over to the Lord.” And he worshiped the Lord there.

1 Samuel
21Saul replied, "Am I not a Benjamite, of the smallest of the tribes of Israel, and my family the least of all the families of the tribe of Benjamin? Why then do you speak to me in this way?"

ten brothers went down to buy grain from Egypt.

and they took double money in their hand, and Benjamin; and rose up, and went down to Egypt, and stood before Joseph.

Last edited by pinacled; 12-14-2015 at 09:38 PM..

Old 12-14-2015, 11:47 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Need to clarify something here, get ready to clutch your hearts and gasp. Many of you are in a major tizzy and I have to admit by using the wrong word, completed, which was my error, it changed the meaning of what I said which made it sound I will admit arrogant. The word should have been converted, which the Jewish person speaking meant he had received Christ as his savior. The man was testifying to his conversion. Didn't talk with him long enough to know what,why,where of,where withs ,whatever's . Seemed sincere and we never questioned it. Still beats the religious person who just belongs to a group and does nothing to honor God or quite possibly doesn't even believe. Now if you want to rail on that have at it. I will be out having dinner and shopping. TTFN
Whether you meant completed or converted, the term "completed Jew" is most definitely a term that fundamentalists use to refer to Jews who have become Christians. I have only heard it from fundamentalists and in fundamentalist circles. Doesn't make it any less demeaning or offensive, and I'm pretty sure you knew exactly what you were saying. Someone doesn't just randomly use the word "completed" instead of "converted."

Old 12-15-2015, 05:27 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
But it should be, MQ.God would not require us to accept something we could not understand, only humans do that. I am reminded of the best math teacher I ever had. He made a point of assuring us that ifanyone could not explain something to you in a way you could understand, it means they do not understand it. Trinity believers and those who promote it do not understand it at all. The idea of consciousness as the essence of personhood was completely unknown to them, so they created this silly idea of hypostasis and kenosis to pretend to explain it. There are NOT three "persons." God is Spirit (consciousness) and the Holy Spirit (Agape love) is the character of His Spirit. Jesus brought God's Holy Spirit to His Human consciousness connecting all human consciousness with God. Our job is to try to develop our Spirit (consciousness) as close to Christ's perfect one (Holy Spirit) as possible. That's it. This is very unpalatable to those who need magic, miracles and mysteries in their religion.
Ok, I like your explanation, Mystic, which I will have to read a couple more times. (The reason I do not have a college degree is because I am unable to grasp algebra despite remedial classes, so I must have encountered a lot of math teachers who don't understand it, either.)

However, in Fr. A.'s defense, he never claimed there are three persons. As a matter of fact, he said that was a misnomer and went on to explain that "person" comes from "per sona" - for sound - an actor's mask designed to amplify the voice in ancient theatres. God in three persons does not mean three individuals, but rather three aspects of God. It was a very simplified explanation for a Sunday-morning congregation. You start talking about essences of personhood and consciousness to some of those people, their eyes will glaze over. What you are saying is more in line for discussion at something like my efm (Episcopal theology course) class.

It doesn't really matter whether or not someone understands man's various takes on the Trinity. Christ's love is for everyone, not just people who are intellectually equipped to explore the depths of Christian concepts.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:00 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,384 times
"A Torah observant family in our community has just admitted that they are all Jesus believers. They live a fully Torah observant life, they just have this extra piece to their belief. What a tragedy! They are now no longer welcome in this community."

I cannot imagine shunning someone, let alone children. That is the real tragedy.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:03 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

I cannot imagine shunning someone, let alone children. That is the real tragedy.
Even if they have come to deceive you and harm you? You would just love them back?

Old 12-15-2015, 06:05 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Even if they have come to deceive you and harm you? You would just love them back?
How have you been harmed?

Old 12-15-2015, 06:28 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yea, I remember all that stuff, however, things change as things develop...Like when I was taught that Columbus discovered America or that our Nation's Forefathers were Christians when most if not all were Deists...I've heard that his hatred was targeted at the Jews because his mother died under a Jewish doctors care, that his real name was Schickelgrubber (or something like that), IDK, stuff I learned back then doesn't seem to be valid today, it's changed...Like children were taught that the world was flat because they knew this to be true, that it was a fact, but this also changed...
I don't buy that either.
Thet weren't "mostly" anything. Some of them were deists, some were atheists, some were jews, some were Christians. We had like the widest range of people representing our country, and reducing it to "they were mostly this of that" belittles the entire thing.
There were enough Christians that in God we trust became or motto. There were enough masons that our dollar had creepy symbolism on it. There were enough puritans, fringe religions, agnostics, and atheists that were decided firmly not to have the government involved in religion. So while alot of us trust in god, we don't have the government telling us to attend church.
They weren't mostly anything. And the nation is better for it.

That world is flat thing keeps getting cited. People generally don't believe that and haven't for hundreds of years. In fact, some of the better Greeks knew it. The thing is, some stories are true, no matter what research comes up later. Hitler was either a self-hating mixed breed or just feared he might be. We don't know all the story. But we do have what police call "probable cause" and that is that Hitler very definitely wanted to be a painter and was rejected for art school, had alot in his life that he blamed the Jews for, and this is key to any good Freudian story he feared he might be the thing he most hated. Like any good mass murder story, the thing that he most wanted to kill was himself.

Let's look at this: his father's birth certificate on father's side was blank and said "illegitimate". His grandmother is known to have worked at a Jewish shop. Not only was his dad a bastard, but possibly a mixed breed bastard. Why do you think he had this pure blood deal? Because deep down he hated his own family. And yes his mom's name was schiklgruber. Wikipedia has a very good explanation on how he got that way, he had a very miserable life.

People who like themselves have healthy happy relationships and improve the world. This is a fact of history. People who have a crappy childhood (joseph stalin had smallpox permanently scar him, and an abusive alcoholic dad) tend to become jerks of a high level when they become famous.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 12-15-2015 at 06:59 AM..

Old 12-15-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Whether you meant completed or converted, the term "completed Jew" is most definitely a term that fundamentalists use to refer to Jews who have become Christians. I have only heard it from fundamentalists and in fundamentalist circles. Doesn't make it any less demeaning or offensive, and I'm pretty sure you knew exactly what you were saying. Someone doesn't just randomly use the word "completed" instead of "converted."
Yeah, that's a bit of a stretch.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:56 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I don't buy that either.
Thet weren't "mostly" anything. Some of them were deists, some were atheists, some were jews, some were Christians. We had like the widest range of people representing our country, and reducing it to "they were mostly this of that" belittles the entire thing.
There were enough Christians that in God we trust became or motto. There were enough masons that our dollar had creepy symbolism on it. There were enough puritans, fringe religions, agnostics, and atheists that were decided firmly not to have the government involved in religion. So while alot of us trust in god, we don't have the government telling us to attend church.
They weren't mostly anything. And the nation is better for it.
In G-d we trust didn't come about until the 1950s...What I said was that this nation's foundations were not Christianity or based on it or religion for that matter...However, it was based partly on freedom of religion as opposed to a forced state religion or national religion....Name me the major players in the formation of our nation and list their religious affiliation....

Old 12-15-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I am neither Jewish or a Christian but I do respect both faiths.
I read the thread in the other section and what I am trying to understand is that how is it possible?

From the Jewish stand point, there is one ONE God -
From the Christianity stand point, we have the faith in Trinity.

How can one be both a Jew and Christian at the same time? How can you be a monotheist and a Trinitarian at the same time ?
Or, how can you be waiting for a messiah and believing at the same time that he already came?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity