Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 09:34 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle no, I agree with you. literal bible is meaningless. As a teaching tool it is great, one of the best. How impactful is it when we can look back 6000 years and see ourselves in them? I and the father are indeed one. Time is irrelevant, only life matters. As a central theme, logistically that is, it is great and there is no need to get rid of it.

but used "literally", and as a "weapon", it is anti-Christ. which just means "anti-what-most-of-us-think-as-good" or "awmoutas" Like the movie "titanic". the exact words are meaningless most times. Like when somebody says "hand me that towel". But that event is real and we can learn from it.

You are absolutely right, Arach Angle. People who try to read 21st century meaning into 3000 year old verse are fools, which is why 90% of Christians never crack a Bible except at Christmas to read Luke's phony Nativity. Even they have sense enough to know that an archaic book like the Bible which teaches people to stone homosexuals has no place in their modern world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 02:28 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I try to reconcile some verses in the Bible and simply cannot. Here they are:

And indeed Paul, before he even knew Jesus had said this (because the gospels hadn't been written yet) said:

So Jesus was sent to earth by his Father on a mission, and that mission clearly stated as day was to save sinners.

So then why does Jesus admit total failure in his mission by saying:

Did you catch that? Jesus says he came to save the lost from hell. But by his own admission most are going to hell.

Did Jesus succeed in his mission?

Or did he fail in it?

By any definition in the English language that's a definite failure---when you attempt to accomplish something and yet you aren't able to do it.

Reminds me of what Epicurus said:

Which of these would you fit Jesus into? I'd say the first: "willing but not able".

Jesus accomplished his mission fully-- its mortals who reject his provision by using their own bad choices. Certain teachers lie to many telling them--you are saved or born again--its 100% lie-- so those believe it and do little if any of what they should be doing-- Jesus summed it up nicely in a single teaching----Man does not live by bread alone, but by every utterance from God)--he didn't say if you want to. Its a requirement of this-Matt 7:21--its Gods will--and only those who live now to do Gods will, get to enter his kingdom( be saved)--- anyone with a teacher telling you --that you are saved or born again---RUN AWAY. Learn what Jesus actually taught.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:41 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Learn what Jesus actually taught.
You should take heed to your own advice.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:29 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
You should take heed to your own advice.

I did, I learned what Jesus taught and its easy to see which teachers are actually teaching what he taught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity