Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 06:42 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
It is implied, which is why most translations translate it that way.

We get the English word angel from the Greek word ἄγγελος. The Latin word angelus is from the Greek ἄγγελος. Greek - ἄγγελος, Latin - angelus, English - angel. It all goes back to the Greek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
We get it from Middle English...Didn't you read my cut & paste?...
I read your post. As I said, it all goes back to the Greek. Then English word angel has it's roots ultimately in the Greek word ἄγγελος which is pronounced as angelos. Angelos - angel. Greek; ἄγγελος [angelos] ---> Latin; angelus ---> English; angel.
''The word angel (pronounced /ˈeɪn.dʒəl/) in English is a blend of Old English engel (with a hard g) and Old French angele.[5] Both derive from Late Latin angelus "messenger", which in turn was borrowed from Late Greek ἄγγελος ángelos. According to R. S. P. Beekes, ángelos itself may be "an Oriental loan, like ἄγγαρος ['Persian mounted courier']."[6] The word's earliest form is Mycenaean a-ke-ro attested in Linear B syllabic script.[7][8]

The ángelos is the default Septuagint's translation of the Biblical Hebrew term mal’ākh denoting simply "messenger" without specifying its nature. In the Latin Vulgate, however, the meaning becomes bifurcated: when mal’ākh or ángelos is supposed to denote a human messenger, words like nuntius or legatus are applied. If the word refers to some supernatural being, the word angelus appears. Such differentiation has been taken over by later vernacular translations of the Bible, early Christian and Jewish exegetes and eventually modern scholars.'' [bolded mine]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel

Last edited by Michael Way; 02-03-2017 at 07:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 12:20 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
We get the English word angel from the Greek word ἄγγελος. The Latin word angelus is from the Greek ἄγγελος. Greek - ἄγγελος, Latin - angelus, English - angel. It all goes back to the Greek.
Actually, it goes further back then that, and means "messenger" of the LORD.
And I believe you know who that is, after all, he was manifested in the flesh.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:25 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

I already stated back in post #81 that both the Greek ἄγγελος and the Hebrew Malach mean messenger.

As per the Greek/English Lexicon BDAG, it can refer to either a human messenger serving as an envoy, one who is sent, or to a transcendent power who carries out various missions of task, messenger, angel.

A human envoy for the king:
1 Maccabees 1:44.

44 For the king had sent letters by messengers unto Jerusalem and the cities of Juda that they should follow the strange laws of the land,

44 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν ὁ βασιλεὺς βιβλία ἐν χειρὶ ἀγγέλων εἰς ῾Ιερουσαλὴμ καὶ τὰς πόλεις ᾿Ιούδα πορευθῆναι ὀπίσω νομίμων ἀλλοτρίων τῆς γῆς

1:1 And it happened, after that Alexander son of Philip, the Macedonian, who ca... MACCABEES I / ΜΑΚΚΑΒΑΙΩΝ Α1 - Bilingual Septuagint
An angelic being sent as a messenger from God:
Matthew 1:20 But when he had considered this, behold, an angel (ἄγγελος) of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:27 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,857 times
Quote:

Yes, The Cherubim have a Message. Did you get it?

Old 02-03-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
...was the memo sent in Greek or Latin?

Old 02-03-2017, 02:31 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,857 times
Quote:

It was sent with shofars in the Right hand.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I already stated back in post #81 that both the Greek ἄγγελος and the Hebrew Malach mean messenger.

As per the Greek/English Lexicon BDAG, it can refer to either a human messenger serving as an envoy, one who is sent, or to a transcendent power who carries out various missions of task, messenger, angel.

44 For the king had sent letters by messengers unto Jerusalem and the cities of Juda that they should follow the strange laws of the land,

44 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν ὁ βασιλεὺς βιβλία ἐν χειρὶ ἀγγέλων εἰς ῾Ιερουσαλὴμ καὶ τὰς πόλεις ᾿Ιούδα πορευθῆναι ὀπίσω νομίμων ἀλλοτρίων τῆς γῆς

1:1 And it happened, after that Alexander son of Philip, the Macedonian, who ca... MACCABEES I / ΜΑΚΚΑΒΑΙΩΝ Α1 - Bilingual Septuagint
Matthew 1:20 But when he had considered this, behold, an angel (ἄγγελος) of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.
I know, you also believe in an underworld of fire and brimstone, which is not Sheol or the grave.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It was sent with shofars in the Right hand.
Then, you know that the walls of Hellenism are crumbling.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:39 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
I read your post. As I said, it all goes back to the Greek. Then English word angel has it's roots ultimately in the Greek word ἄγγελος which is pronounced as angelos. Angelos - angel. Greek; ἄγγελος [angelos] ---> Latin; angelus ---> English; angel.
''The word angel (pronounced /ˈeɪn.dʒəl/) in English is a blend of Old English engel (with a hard g) and Old French angele.[5] Both derive from Late Latin angelus "messenger", which in turn was borrowed from Late Greek ἄγγελος ángelos. According to R. S. P. Beekes, ángelos itself may be "an Oriental loan, like ἄγγαρος ['Persian mounted courier']."[6] The word's earliest form is Mycenaean a-ke-ro attested in Linear B syllabic script.[7][8]

The ángelos is the default Septuagint's translation of the Biblical Hebrew term mal’ākh denoting simply "messenger" without specifying its nature. In the Latin Vulgate, however, the meaning becomes bifurcated: when mal’ākh or ángelos is supposed to denote a human messenger, words like nuntius or legatus are applied. If the word refers to some supernatural being, the word angelus appears. Such differentiation has been taken over by later vernacular translations of the Bible, early Christian and Jewish exegetes and eventually modern scholars.'' [bolded mine]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel
You totally skipped OE and ME...

Old 02-04-2017, 01:41 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:

How about "a messenger appeared to him in a dream."?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity