Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 12:41 AM

389 posts, read 616,636 times

Advertisements

Took exactly one year with daily reading. I'm suggesting people read it to become closer to Jesus Christ, not just to join the Latter-day Saint churches. This because I didn't find much LDS doctrine. I didn't even read a denial of the trinity, i.e. trinity doctrine is as strong as found in the Bible. I did find lots of feeling of love and stories of good people dealing with faith and delivering difficult prophecy.

To those reeling from the historic aspects of the work, try praying on this scripture: "The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy" (Revelation 19:10), and maybe accepting it as an inspired document. I believe it is a work of God translated from unearthed golden plates, but, to each his own

Somebody want to back me up reading the Book of Mormon will only bring you closer to Christ and not to LDS doctrine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 12:56 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,347,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETI_listener View Post
Took exactly one year with daily reading. I'm suggesting people read it to become closer to Jesus Christ, not just to join the Latter-day Saint churches. This because I didn't find much LDS doctrine. I didn't even read a denial of the trinity, i.e. trinity doctrine is as strong as found in the Bible. I did find lots of feeling of love and stories of good people dealing with faith and delivering difficult prophecy.

To those reeling from the historic aspects of the work, try praying on this scripture: "The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy" (Revelation 19:10), and maybe accepting it as an inspired document. I believe it is a work of God translated from unearthed golden plates, but, to each his own

Somebody want to back me up reading the Book of Mormon will only bring you closer to Christ and not to LDS doctrine?
I've tried to read it several times, but it always puts me right to sleep. "It came to pass" that I nodded off.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:48 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
Two years before the witness of Mormon in 1823, where angels gave Mr. Smith these notes for the book , across the country there was a man called Charles Finney who pleaded with the Lord and received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit , with confirmed the Bible and He quit His lawyer job, forsake the mason position and became a minister and preached in the Second Great Awakening , from Wilmingham to Boston , where many people got saved with the bible and faith in Christ ....... was at the same time Mr. Smith seen and vision and had a different Book wrote .... So what was God`s plan ?

Old 12-24-2015, 07:27 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Two years before the witness of Mormon in 1823, where angels gave Mr. Smith these notes for the book , across the country there was a man called Charles Finney who pleaded with the Lord and received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit , with confirmed the Bible and He quit His lawyer job, forsake the mason position and became a minister and preached in the Second Great Awakening , from Wilmingham to Boston , where many people got saved with the bible and faith in Christ ....... was at the same time Mr. Smith seen and vision and had a different Book wrote .... So what was God`s plan ?
You'd have to ask God. But I speculate that maybe the plan is to open different paths to find our way.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:49 AM

889 posts, read 825,173 times
A Doublethink Example:

"I know that God is not a partial God, neither a changeable being; but he is unchangeable from all eternity to all eternity" (Moroni 8:18).
"For do we not read that God is the same yesterday, today and forever, and in him there is no variableness, neither shadow of changing? And now, if ye have imagined up unto yourselves a god who doth vary, and in whom there is shadow of changing, then ye have imagined up unto yourselves a god who is not a God of miracles" (Mormon 9:9-10).
It’s hard to be more explicit than that. In his early years Smith did not believe in the "law of eternal progression." He had an orthodox understanding of God’s immutable nature. But at some point in his theological odyssey, he veered into the land of doublethink.

Contradictory Views

Remember, Smith maintained the inspiration and truth of the Book of Mormon at the same time he believed the following: "God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens! That is the great secret. If the veil were rent today, and the great God who upholds all worlds and all things by his power, was to make himself visible—I say, if you were to see him today, you would see him like a man in form—like yourselves in all the person, image, and very form as a man; for Adam was created in the very fashion, image, and likeness of God, and received instruction from, and walked, talked and conversed with him, as one man talks and communes with another" (King Follett Discourse).
This is one of Smith’s more spectacular displays of doublethink. Fourteen years after penning the Book of Mormon, he contradicts his earlier writings with this sermon—but he doesn’t throw aside his earlier teaching. Both are to be accepted.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:18 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Quote:

I have found it to be more of an advertisement to justify Moroni. Just like the other books of scriptures, it mostly endorses the book itself and becomes a curricular argument in favor of itself.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:14 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,726 times
Just when you think you've heard it all..........

Old 12-29-2015, 12:04 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
Quote:

Have you prayed to ask God to show you if the things are not true?

Old 12-29-2015, 02:01 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Have you prayed to ask God to show you if the things are not true?
Vizio, I've just got to say that it looks to me as if you're kind of itching for a fight here. Why? Somebody has just finished reading a book that brought him closer to Christ. Be happy for him. If he has taken a full year to read and study The Book of Mormon, I think it would be safe to say that he has probably prayed about it.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:19 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Vizio, I've just got to say that it looks to me as if you're kind of itching for a fight here. Why? Somebody has just finished reading a book that brought him closer to Christ. Be happy for him. If he has taken a full year to read and study The Book of Mormon, I think it would be safe to say that he has probably prayed about it.
I just asked a question. I said nothing derogatory about anyone or any religion. If that bothers you, I'm sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity