Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 08:50 PM

336 posts, read 844,668 times

Advertisements

One day,I had to find a bible real fast. I just happened to meet the Lord and needed spiritual milk - asap!I never had read a bible, but for some "unknown" reason,I owned a 20 year old Revised Standard Edition.I didn't know what to look for, so I was satisfied with that.About six months later,I went to a Christian book store and was looking through the bibles,when a clerk offered to assist me.I asked if the words like NIV or King James really mattered? He looked shocked and said:"Yes,it matters!"He sent me home with a NIV. I think I've used 4 or 5 different versions since that day. Accuracy is important, but without comprehension it really doesn't matter what version it is..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 09:47 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,269 times
I have used New American Revised Standard, King James Version, NIV, Amplified, and the latest I picked up is Word on the Street. I have gone back to the Greek and Aramaic text with scholars I grew up with, and was taught by exchanging ideas back and forth from translations and original text interpretations by a number of individuals, including feminists, who would be ministers.
The ones I enjoy most are the Amplified and the 'G-d is genderless' version, although for the latter, I don't have an official title. The Amplified provides the real passion by which people spoke, which for me is a timeless language that captures the soul of communication. The 'G-d is genderless' version is very attractive as well, b/c I think G-d is beyond gender description, and we should view G-d in this way, just as G-d is beyond racial description, nationality, ethnicity, SES, etc. Our concepts of G-d should be as broad as G-d can be, and the varied versions I've used over the years have allowed me to capture that spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity