Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 03:51 PM

39 posts, read 37,435 times

Advertisements

He mentions both of them..as in the days of Noah....and you have heard he created them male and female. Yet some who profess Jesus as their saviour deny he referenced them as real events.

Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 04:01 PM

33,245 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Pepys View Post
He mentions both of them..as in the days of Noah....and you have heard he created them male and female. Yet some who profess Jesus as their saviour deny he referenced them as real events.

Any thoughts on this?
You answered your own question. Jesus mentioned both of them. And since Jesus didn't misrepresent the facts in order to accommodate the beliefs of the time, in other words, Jesus didn't lie, it follows that He believed in Noah, and Adam and Eve. And since as God He created Adam and Eve, and selected Noah to be born, He would certainly know.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:44 PM

39 posts, read 37,435 times
Thanks Mike, I have been locked in discussion with someone who is a Christian but insists Jesus was using language that those at the time, the ones he spoke to, would understand. She says he was speaking in 'metaphor' both regarding Noah and Adam and Eve. I can't understand those that say they follow Jesus then deny two of the most crucial events in scripture.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:50 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
A reference to a cultural tradition does not mean that it was presented as fact. I can state that Paul Bunyan had a Blue ox named Babe, and everyone will know what I am talking about, but they also know I am speaking in terms of that legend.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:51 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
Both could be right. I've sometimes wondered about this also.
I don't think Christ thought it was very important, or perhaps
He wasn't given total knowledge of the most distant past in
the same way He wasn't given total knowledge concerning the
time of the future.
We can construe it either way concerning Adam & Eve.
It is possible He was using them as an example, an icon
of one made for the other and faithfulness.
With Noah, I think there are better chances for a literal
connotation. Still, both could be literal or both symbolic
to make His points. These are mysteries we are not meant
to fully understand yet.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:47 PM

33,245 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Pepys View Post
Thanks Mike, I have been locked in discussion with someone who is a Christian but insists Jesus was using language that those at the time, the ones he spoke to, would understand. She says he was speaking in 'metaphor' both regarding Noah and Adam and Eve. I can't understand those that say they follow Jesus then deny two of the most crucial events in scripture.
You're welcome. During the 'age of enlightenment' many doctrines of the Bible were discarded by those who felt that those beliefs couldn't be defended in the modern world. Many still feel that way.

Luke traced Jesus' genealogy all the way back to Adam. Either the entire genealogy is literal or the entire genealogy is symbolic. Since Jesus is literal, then the entire genealogy is literal.

And if Adam was not literal then there was no original sin, no fall of man, and Jesus couldn't be the last Adam.
1 Cor. 15:45 Thus it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit.
If the anti-type is literal then the type has to be literal as well. Jesus is the anti-type and Adam is the type. For the typology to be valid, both parts of the typology have to be literal.
Romans 5:14 Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the One who was to come.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:50 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Luke traced Jesus' genealogy all the way back to Adam. Either the entire genealogy is literal or the entire genealogy is symbolic. Since Jesus is literal, then the entire genealogy is literal.
It is ignorant men who retained the Jewish fables who corrupted Christ's Gospel against His specific desires.

1 Timothy 1:3-5Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
3 according as I did exhort thee to remain in Ephesus -- I going on to Macedonia -- that thou mightest charge certain not to teach any other thing,
4 nor to give heed to fables and endless genealogies, that cause questions
rather than the building up of God that is in faith: --
5 And the end of the charge is love (agape) out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned,

1 Timothy 4:7
But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.

2 Timothy 4:4
And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Titus 1:14
Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

2 Peter 1:16
For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

There is no ambiguity here. The Jewish fables are not only NOT literal history, they do NOT need to be believed as such to believe Christ is who He says He is. It is even more important NOT to credit the OT descriptions of God because Jesus IS the Source of truth about God, NOT the OT fables or geneologies. The OT chronicles our spiritual evolution and preparation to receive the Son of God and to learn the truth about God from Him. Our ignorant ancestors were so steeped in the Jewish fables and barbaric beliefs about God, they simply allowed themselves to be led astray by retaining the ancient ignorance. They interpreted Christ's act of love as a blood sacrifice to appease their wrathful God instead of an example of the true agape loving nature of God. That is why we were warned about the false teachers wanting to retain their wrathful God and other Jewish fables that tainted the beliefs of the apostate anti-Christ majority who would come to exist in these "latter days."

Old 02-03-2016, 03:16 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Jesus said from Luke 19:10, and Matthew 18:11, ``For the son of Man has come to save that which was lost ``...........See God had lost His authority and His ability to save people and make them His family through the rebellion of Adam against the Word of God gave Him ........ Another scripture is of Adam and Eve reference is John 8:44.......``the father of lies the devil was a murderer from the beginning ``....... Which was this devil who lied to Adam and Eve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity