Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:46 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,864 times

Advertisements

Just the other day I heard this quote on the radio:
"Open your mouth only if what you are going to say is more beautiful than silence".

Good night everyone and may God bless you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 18,241 times
Remember To Thank The Lord For Giving You A Revelation About This Scripture. He Is Bringing You To A New Understanding Of How He Can Work Through You In Your Daily Life.

Romans 12:1-2
1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is true worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Ephesians 5:4
Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:52 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
And really, that's a good sign.. that we're recognizing our mistakes. It'd be too bad if people were constantly offended at our speech and we didn't realize or acknowledge that anything was wrong! I don't think we'll ever be perfect, but that shouldn't stop us from trying... (tho it seems like the harder we try on our own strength, the more we fail!) The Holy Spirit will lead us in sanctification.
Yep. I'm glad that the Holy Spirit has opened my eyes to this verse. Just knowing that He is speaking to me about cleaning up a few things means that He hasn't given up on me. (Not that I thought He had, but you get the picture.)

Before I was saved, I would swear all of the time. I completely gave it up when I turned my life over to Christ. I really didn't ever have a problem with swearing after that. Now, it is just mean thoughts that I let pop out from time to time. Or I don't exercise enough patience with my kids. (I'm sure we've all been there. ) But, the Bible says that the Lord disciplines those He loves. If He didn't, we would be illegitimate children. So, even though it is difficult to acknowledge those areas that need correction in our lives, I'm thankful that the Lord is working on me. I really do desire to be more like Him everyday.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:55 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Psalm 51:10 "Create in me a clean heart oh God. Renew a right spirit with me"
Proverbs 27:19 "As face is reflected in water, so the heart reflects the person".

Old 02-07-2008, 03:04 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Or I don't exercise enough patience with my kids. (I'm sure we've all been there. )
I'm there, for sure! I love my kids dearly, but they sure try my patience. Our 3 yr old is in the "why" stage. Endless series of questions, every answer gets another "why?" ! And sometimes she wants me to help her with something, but when I try to help her with something if she hasn't asked...watch out! "My do it!" It's fun, tho.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:47 PM

336 posts, read 844,668 times
We Are Human And Say Things We Ought Not. We Should Be "word Choosey" Especially Among Non-believers Because They Will Say, "Look They,the Believers, Talk And Say Things Worse Than Us!"On The Other Hand,though,the Apostle Paul Was Very Bold And Pulled Very Few Punches When He Admonished The Sheep.
Scripture That Hits Hard And Close To My Soul: "If Anyone Considers Himself Religious And Yet Does Not Keep A Tight Rein On His Tongue,he Deceives Himself And His Religion Is Worthless."James 1:26 Niv (Religious,meaning My Devotion To Jesus.)

Old 02-07-2008, 07:51 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
Default Idle Speak .. Evil Speak..

I did my own kind of bible study on this topic with my children. You know, kids tend to speak before they engage their brain. We were having an issue with the kids picking up not so friendly language from their school friends. My kids didn't understand why I was (seemed like) constantly telling them to "watch their mouth". It wasn't cussing or foul language, but still was border-line abusive and just unbecoming (mild examples: 'sucks' or 'hate').

But this was also a good study for my wife and I too. Hopefully other adults will find it useful. I just prayerfully went into the word and started looking up any and all verses that I was led to feel applied to this topic:

Proverbs 13:1-3 -- A wise son heeds his father's instruction, but a mocker does not listen to rebuke. From the fruit of his lips a man enjoys good things, but the unfaithful have a craving for violence. He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin. <== angry words lead to bigger problems rather than resolutions.

I Timothy 4:12 -- Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. <== Our choice of words (and actions) should set a standard and are important in others' perception of us.

Proverbs 12:25 -- An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up. <== Our words should be uplifting to others.

Proverbs 15:1 -- A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. <== Probably the hardest thing for me to do on this forum ! No, really, in RL I'm much better (still not where I want to be) at calming myself before answering someone, even in a debate. But here, probably because no one can "see" me, I can fly-off the handle a bit. I'm working on it, but some discussions can get me going and feel more personal than they should be.

I have others, but this is enough, I believe, to get the point across. Idle words, harsh words, "evil speak" ... things believers need to control. ILNC, loved your reply and totally agree, but gotta spread the joy

Last edited by mams1559; 02-07-2008 at 08:16 PM..

Old 02-08-2008, 04:09 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
I did my own kind of bible study on this topic with my children. You know, kids tend to speak before they engage their brain. We were having an issue with the kids picking up not so friendly language from their school friends. My kids didn't understand why I was (seemed like) constantly telling them to "watch their mouth". It wasn't cussing or foul language, but still was border-line abusive and just unbecoming (mild examples: 'sucks' or 'hate').

But this was also a good study for my wife and I too. Hopefully other adults will find it useful. I just prayerfully went into the word and started looking up any and all verses that I was led to feel applied to this topic:

Proverbs 13:1-3 -- A wise son heeds his father's instruction, but a mocker does not listen to rebuke. From the fruit of his lips a man enjoys good things, but the unfaithful have a craving for violence. He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin. <== angry words lead to bigger problems rather than resolutions.

I Timothy 4:12 -- Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. <== Our choice of words (and actions) should set a standard and are important in others' perception of us.

Proverbs 12:25 -- An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up. <== Our words should be uplifting to others.

Proverbs 15:1 -- A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. <== Probably the hardest thing for me to do on this forum ! No, really, in RL I'm much better (still not where I want to be) at calming myself before answering someone, even in a debate. But here, probably because no one can "see" me, I can fly-off the handle a bit. I'm working on it, but some discussions can get me going and feel more personal than they should be.

I have others, but this is enough, I believe, to get the point across. Idle words, harsh words, "evil speak" ... things believers need to control. ILNC, loved your reply and totally agree, but gotta spread the joy
Thank you, mams, for sharing this with us. I certainly find it very useful and I will try to do something similar with my two older children who are going thorugh a phase of hurting each other with words.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:03 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
What we say reveals what is in our heart. The words that we use is an indication of what is in our heart. The only way to clean up our speech is to allow the Holy Spirit to fill us with the right attitudes and motives then our speech will be cleansed at its source.
So true. And it's amazing how God reveals to us what's in our own hearts. Sometimes, instead of a grand revelation of a heart problem, I'll just say something - something unexpected will pop out and I'm like "What??? Did I say that? Where did that come from?" and it's time to do some soul searching...
blessings,
- Byron

Old 02-08-2008, 06:12 AM

479 posts, read 1,142,172 times
Yup. I think everyone here has gotten it. The intentions of the heart of the most important thing. Sometimes the Word itself might come across to the sinful ears as offensive, however, if we are of God - then our hearts will lovingly receive the message. Remember these verses -

Ecclesiastes 7:5
It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise, than for a man to hear the song of fools.

Proverbs 17:10
A reproof entereth more into a wise man than an hundred stripes into a fool.

Blessed are those who do not take offense. We need to pray to God, that when we truly hear his Word, we do not become offended - and we quickly respond to his calling.

Grace,

Stephen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity