Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 03:26 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,479 times

Advertisements

I've seen it before--some teacher got in trouble for showing it to his class in public school. I think it's not worth the electrons involved in playing it. It's a guilt-trip for evangelical kids, and that's the extent of it. There's no law and gospel aspect to it, it's just guilt-trip propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 06:26 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girleylips View Post
i do agree that christians should not SCARE people into being a christian...the people should do so freely because they want a relationship with Jesus...I just thought it was very interesting to watch.....i personally have never seen something like this
Yes, it is very interesting and unfortunately I have seen far too many of these and many are far worse. The biggest lie in this 'genre' is that demons are having this great time torturing everyone in the afterlife. This concept comes straight from pagan mythology and is nowhere found in scripture.
blessings,
- Byron

Old 02-08-2008, 08:20 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Comment on the video:

It gives a decent object lesson to believers about not sharing their faith. I'm not crazy about the tatic, but can't discount it either.

Comments on the replies:

The biggest lie Satan wants you to believe is that hell is a myth, he doesn't exist...well as you have been told anyway.

It's in scripture, it was taught by Jesus and it's in the other books. Any teaching that denies it, is a lie from the evil one.

I heard it said that if the Lucifer was to come to earth in person he wouldn't be out tormenting people, but he would have his doctorate in divinity and be preaching in a pulpit denying his own existance.

Here is a decent article on the subject:

Is Satan a real person that influences our world today? Is he affecting you? - ChristianAnswers.Net

Old 02-08-2008, 08:44 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

The biggest lie Satan wants you to believe is that hell is a myth, he doesn't exist...well as you have been told anyway.
No....the biggest lie he wants you to believe is that God the creator will send the majority of your family and friends to a burning trash heap to be tormented and forgotten. That`s the lie that keeps most people from having anything to do with christianity.

Quote:
It's in scripture, it was taught by Jesus and it's in the other books. Any teaching that denies it, is a lie from the evil one.
No...The kind of hell you`re referring to isn`t in the bible and it`s the lie of satan that the mother of harlots has fallen for.

Quote:
I heard it said that if the Lucifer was to come to earth in person he wouldn't be out tormenting people, but he would have his doctorate in divinity and be preaching in a pulpit denying his own existance.
I`m not sure about Lucifer,but satan doesn`t have to worry about this country. He has the mother of harlots deceiving the masses for him..all while smiling,wearing an expensive suit and holding a bible in their hand.

Here is a decent article on the subject:

Is Satan a real person that influences our world today? Is he affecting you? - ChristianAnswers.Net[/quote]

Old 02-09-2008, 06:39 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girleylips View Post
GodTube.com - a Letter from Hell (http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=1b5bd6e3e034d00b4f73 - broken link)

just want to know your opinon's that all

Whew!

It used to be said that we Catholics and the Jews had a monopoly on guilt.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
No....the biggest lie he wants you to believe is that God the creator will send the majority of your family and friends to a burning trash heap to be tormented and forgotten. That`s the lie that keeps most people from having anything to do with christianity.

No...The kind of hell you`re referring to isn`t in the bible and it`s the lie of satan that the mother of harlots has fallen for.
Mat 8:12 But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 13:42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 13:50 And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 22:13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast [him] into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 24:51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint [him] his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Luk 13:28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you [yourselves] thrust out.

Mat 3:10 The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.

Mat 3:12 His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

Mat 5:22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother*will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,*' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.

Mat 7:19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

Mat 13:40 "As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age.

Mat 18:8 If your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire.

Mat 18:9 And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell.

Mat 25:41 "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Mar 9:43 If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.

Mar 9:48 where " 'their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.'

Luk 3:9 The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire."

Luk 16:24 So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

2Pe 2:4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment;

2Pe 3:7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

Jud 1:7 In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

Jud 1:23 snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear-hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.
You are right...the bible doesn't say anything about eternal fire or eternal punishment. (That's not all of it by any means)

If you would like to debate the finer points of "what hell actually is" there is already a thread on that going strong.

Quote:
I`m not sure about Lucifer,but satan doesn`t have to worry about this country. He has the mother of harlots deceiving the masses for him..all while smiling,wearing an expensive suit and holding a bible in their hand.
Who would that be and what is the deception? Another Gospel? Christ is not the savior?
2Cr 11:13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ.

2Cr 11:14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.
Your right, don't worry the devil doesn't have any interest in you - (jedi mind trick).
1Pe 5:8 Be self‑controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:12 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello
You are right...the bible doesn't say anything about eternal fire or eternal punishment. (That's not all of it by any means)
No it doesn`t. You are taking these scriptures far too literally and we know the key to undrstanding the bible is discernment. The bible is not written like most other books. It takes word searching and cross referencing and prayer. You can`t just pick up the bible and read about a beast with horns coming up out of the sea, a burning lake of fire,dragons,talking serpents, etc. and take it literally. There is a reason Jesus used parables and allegory. It`s still working today.

Quote:
If you would like to debate the finer points of "what hell actually is" there is already a thread on that going strong.
I didn`t bring up hell..you did...I just responded!

Quote:
Who would that be and what is the deception? Another Gospel? Christ is not the savior?
Christ is the savior but he will not send the majority of his creation... our friends,family,loved ones....to some eternal literal fiery trash dump to be burned and tormented forever and then be forgotten. Obviously you believe satan will be victorious over Jesus...I do not. To me that is a misrepresentation of the gospel (good news). Does the thought of a lot of your friends and loved ones in eternal fire to be burned alive,tormented day and night forever and then forgotten sound like good news to you? That is the lie that satan loves because it gives people a false sense of who God is and keeps people away from him.

Quote:
Your right, don't worry the devil doesn't have any interest in you - (jedi mind trick).
Satan can come as an angel of light. He doesn`t show himself as this hideous creature,openly defying the truth...he subtly deceives people into a false gospel or false truth.How does he do that..by mixing a little truth with a lie.
Remember Jesus said..Many will come to me in that day saying Lord Lord,didn`t we prophesy and do miracles IN YOUR NAME. These are not nominal christians..these are devout christians..people who actuallly thought they had the truth. Did you notice the word MANY (not few)? Many always means a lot if not the majority. Who is the many? What belief do most modern christians have about the gospel and eternal torment? Who teaches them this belief....the church! Jesus also said MANY( same word again) are called but FEW are chosen. I wonder if it`s the same many? Who are the called? So you have the whole world and out of the world MANY(church) are called. Out of the MANY (church), a FEW are chosen.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:26 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,600,083 times
I think the letter is very simplistic and poorly done--somewhat like a really bad movie.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
No it doesn`t. You are taking these scriptures far too literally
Oh, so that's what I'm doing wrong. My bad...lol

I guess when Jesus, Peter and Jude say something plainly about 45 times it's up for "interpretation".

Old 02-09-2008, 04:42 PM

14,883 posts, read 17,164,304 times
Hi,
Mat 8:12 But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (no mention of eternal hell here)
Mat 13:42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. (no mention of an eternal hell here)
Mat 13:50 And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. (no mention of an eternal hell here)
Mat 22:13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast [him] into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (no mention of an eternal hell here)
Mat 24:51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint [him] his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (no mention of an eternal hell here)
Mat 25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (no mention of an eternal hell here)
Luke 13:28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you [yourselves] thrust out. (no mention of an eternal hell here)
Mat 3:10 The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire. (no mention of an eternal hell here)
Mat 3:12 His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire." ( no mention of an eternal hell here, an unquenchable fire is one that does not go out until it performs its purpose)
Mat 5:22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother*will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,*' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell. (no mention of an eternal hell here)
Mat 7:19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. (no mention of an eternal hell here)
Mat 13:40 "As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age. (no mention of an eternal hell here)
Mat 18:8 If your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire. (eternal=aionios=of are belonging to the age)
Mat 18:9 And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell. (no mention of an eternal hell here)
Mat 25:41 "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. (see reference for aionios)
Mar 9:43 If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. (unquenchable fire=see previous reference)
Mar 9:48 where " 'their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.' (see previous note)
Luk 3:9 The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire." (no mention of eternal hell here)
Luk 16:24 So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.' (no mention of eternal hell here)
2Pe 2:4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment; (no mention of eternal hell here)
2Pe 3:7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men. (no mention of eternal hell here)
Jud 1:7 In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire. (see reference on aionios)
Jud 1:23 snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear-hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh. (no mention of eternal hell here)

What does the phrase, “unquenchable fire” mean and how was it used in the scriptures and in the day?

References
term unquenchable fire-how was it used in the day?
Quote:
Josephus says, [Jewish War, B. ii, ch. xvii:6.] speaking of a fire that used to burn in the temple--though at the time he wrote [A.D.80] it had gone out, and the temple was destroyed--"Every one was accustomed to bring wood for the altar, that fuel might never be needed for the fire, for it continued always unquenchable."
Strabo, [A.D. 70} described the "unquenchable lamp" that used to burn in the Parthenon, though it has long since ceased to burn. [Lib. ix: p. 606.]
Plutarch, {A.D. 110} in Numa, [p. 262] speaks of places in Delphi and Athens, "where there is a fire unquenchable," (asbeston) though in the same breath he describes it as having ceased to burn.

Jesus - the Light of the World - Message Board - ezboard.com

Ezekiel 20:47, for example, speaks of a fire that was to be kindled and not quenched in Negev but this fire is not burning today. Leviticus 6:12 speaks of a fire on an altar that was to never go out but it is not burning today. An unquenchable fire is one that does not go out until purpose is fulfilled.

Aionios
Chapter Four

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 02-09-2008 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity