Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times

Advertisements

I used to go to a really cool, contemporary church. I never asked about their views on gays. But finally I asked one guy who is also a church leader of some sort, and he said that the church disapproves of it (homosexuality), and that you cannot be a church leader if you are gay. You can come to the church and hang out but you can't be a leader. Then he said that it wasn't like the church was trying to hide this rule or anything and that it was stated on their website. I had looked on their website and had not seen anything of the sort regarding their policy on gays. I had looked several times after our discussion and still there was no anti-gay policy stated. I also think that the man I talked to said something about how gays cannot be members of the church either.

I was pretty offended by what sounded like discrimination and disgust towards gays. I was also surprised by their contempt, considering how the main theme of their church is love, diversity,and progressiveness. This church is not traditional looking in most ways. Believe me, this church is so contemporary looking and sounding you would be surprised to hear of any anti-gay comments or rules.

But what are your opinions. Do you think I should keep going to the church? It is mostly good and fun except for their policy on gays which I think is awful.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:01 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I used to go to a really cool, contemporary church. I never asked about their views on gays. But finally I asked one guy who is also a church leader of some sort, and he said that the church disapproves of it (homosexuality), and that you cannot be a church leader if you are gay. You can come to the church and hang out but you can't be a leader. Then he said that it wasn't like the church was trying to hide this rule or anything and that it was stated on their website. I had looked on their website and had not seen anything of the sort regarding their policy on gays. I had looked several times after our discussion and still there was no anti-gay policy stated. I also think that the man I talked to said something about how gays cannot be members of the church either.

I was pretty offended by what sounded like discrimination and disgust towards gays. I was also surprised by their contempt, considering how the main theme of their church is love, diversity,and progressiveness. This church is not traditional looking in most ways. Believe me, this church is so contemporary looking and sounding you would be surprised to hear of any anti-gay comments or rules.

But what are your opinions. Do you think I should keep going to the church? It is mostly good and fun except for their policy on gays which I think is awful.
Well, it depends. Are you looking for a church that follows the teachings of Jesus or are you looking for a feel good church that really doesn`t stand for anything and everybody`s there to attend a rock concert and have good ole time?

Old 02-08-2008, 08:04 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:

Well, I'll say this: "diversity,and progressiveness" do not overrule the word of God. Period.

Gay is the same as adulterer, fornicator or any other multitude of "no no's" we are told not to "live in".

None of those listed above are fit for Christian leadership. Sorry.

If they are okay with a hetero couple living together with no solid date or plan to not be in that lifestyle or change it being a member but are against a gay person that would be called hypocrisy as they are both "wrong" to have as acceptable lifestyles according to our beliefs. (Yes I say "our" as these are basic truths in the bible.)

The church does at times look aside at other "sin" and in the same breath condem "gays" which is wrong.

That's my take on it.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:05 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Personally, I don't think it is any of my business if a leader in my church were gay, but I am afraid that gay church leaders are few and far between except for the openly gay accepting churches..When I do attend a church I don't ask anyone what their sexual preferences are..If a person is full of the love of God and has leadership abilities and a desire to serve the Lord, then I would be willing to give them that opportunity..

Old 02-08-2008, 08:10 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
I know I'm not a Christian, but thought I'd chime in... because we have a lesbian Rabbi at my Synagogue, and she's wonderful!! My Temple is a Reform one, so our "policy" on homosexuality is non-existent - they are not only welcomed, but encouraged to participate in our services. Why does it matter if your leader is gay, as long as they're a good leader? Our Rabbi is motivating, inspirational, kind, charitable, and extremely knowledgeable about the faith... aren't those more important qualities than the fact that her partner makes estrogen? Oh, and she & her partner have 2 adopted sons, who probably would be sitting in a foreign orphanage if not for them. Not to mention, she's become a very well-respected member of the local religious community, and works with a few gay Pastors to bring equality to our churches & temples. Sounds good to me! Of course, I live in San Francisco, so I understand this is not such a welcomed concept in other parts of the US - still don't understand why, but I accept that fact.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:12 PM

336 posts, read 844,543 times
First, The Premise Sounds Questionable. But If This Is So, Don't You Think You Should Search And Find Out What you Believe? People Attend Churchs Blindly.They Don't Know What They Believe And Find Out Down The Line What Their Church Believes! Do You Want To Be Preached To By Someone Who Is Actively Gay?For That Matter,do You Want To Be Preached To By Anyone Who Is Openly Sinning?(That Is Sins Of The Flesh.) Are You Reading And Searching? Or Do You Want To Take A Poll About What You Or
A Church Should Allow?

Old 02-08-2008, 08:19 PM

You cannot change your homosexuality plain and simple.

I do not believe in discrimination, or reparative therapy to change homosexuality (all evidence says it doesn't work).

I guess I don't believe in that aspect of Christianity then. I think it is wrong and in some form evil, to belittle and push people away.

I've noticed many of the youth and younger adults turning away from Christianity/churches, for a very good reason. Churches just do not make any sense at all.

I believe in God of course, and that Christ died for my sins. End of story really. I also think that God completely understands that if I could change my gayness to please him I would do so! End of story. I've learned my lesson, I will not be attending any more churches and if I do attend once in a while then the church has to be cool and accepting of gays.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:22 PM

336 posts, read 844,543 times
Quote:

I do not believe in discrimination, or reparative therapy to change homosexuality (all evidence says it doesn't work).

I guess I don't believe in that aspect of Christianity then. I think it is wrong and in some form evil, to belittle and push people away.
SO, YOU ALREADY KNEW WHAT YOU BELIEVED AND WHAT IS THE POINT?

Old 02-08-2008, 08:28 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Oh you bought that lie huh?

Well, I guess you answered your own question then...no need to add anything further.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:29 PM

how is that a lie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Oh you bought that lie huh?

Well, I guess you answered your own question then...no need to add anything further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity